Engine & Gearbox Honda Civic FN2 Gearbox rumours

Discussion in '8th Generation (2006-2011)' started by FR-V, Wednesday 20th Jul, 2016.

1. FR-V Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Pete Lincs
    I was shocked to see a 10 reg Civic Type-R on the ramps at my local garage with its gearbox removed. It had lost all drive. The owner of the garage was as surprised as me to see a Honda with such a mechanical failure, but when he enquired in the trade about repairs he was told it was a well known problem - and nobody would touch them! Apparently the only way to ensure the gearbox stays healthy is to change the oil EVERY year. A replacement would be £5k!!!!
    Is there any truth in these rumours, is it only the Civic Type-R, or are any other Honda manual gearboxes prone to premature failure?

Pete C

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    The clues in the name Civic Type-R .. they tend to be thrashed to an inch of their life by idiot youngster who own them.

What load of absolute tosh !!

Care to show us some real evidence of this ?

Have you seen many people complaining of these issue ??

Sleep easy @FR-V there's nothing to worry about here.

Try asking a VAG group vehicle owner about issues with their DSG.

Ichiban and FR-V like this.
  3. 2.4 8thGen Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Brett Bristol
    The only thing I have come across the Honda range is gearbox wine on the 2.4 petrol 8th Generation Accord.
    But never heard of any failure as yet but there is a thread on this hear.

4. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    Might be a gear syncro issue. Affects cars which are thrashed endlessly without any maintainance. But that only makes them crunch, not fail so this CTR at the garage might have some serious but uncommon issue.

Gearbox whine was a big issue on PFL 2nd Generation Jazz and 7th Generation Civics. Happened cause of input shaft bearings ... They never failed but got super loud. Honda replaced them all upto 7 years after reg date.

5. FR-V Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Pete Lincs
    "The clues in the name Civic Type-R .. they tend to be thrashed to an inch of their life by idiot youngster who own them."

Exactly the description of the owner of this one! Clutch looked fried. Brought in by the father, who was not impressed by his son!

I shall report back on the outcome.

Pete C.​

legend-ary likes this.
  6. FR-V Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Pete Lincs
    Quick update, all teeth on the planetary gears of the diff stripped. Gearbox sat on a pallet on its way to a reconditioner in Kent who was totally unfazed by the failure and said Honda gearboxes were one of his most popular makes (all models, not just Civic Type-Rs). Stripped teeth, failed baulk rings, disintegrating bearings are all common. Early symptoms are difficult gearchange and unusual noises.
    Obviously no info on age/mileage/useage but it would seem regular gearbox oil changes are vital to the long term health of your box. My FR-V had a change at 30k, so the CR-V will get one at the next service.
    Please don't shoot the messenger and feel free to ignore all the above! :Whiteflag:

7. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

No I think you are absolutely right in your analysis that even for a 'most reliable brand' the mechanical items will wear and fail eventually if not taken care of. Its probably an eye opener for a lot of us as gearbox is probably one of the often ignored item. I myself am guilty of it too.. I have two bottles of MTF rolling about in my boot for over a month and I still havent changed it.. maybe its time

FR-V likes this.
  8. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Vauxhall apparently have major gearbox issues with their M32 box (Astra and Insignia). There are reports of people having two or three gearboxes after multiple failures. M32 gearbox failed? Post here. [Archive] - Astra Owners Network Forum | 1st Generation - 6th Generation | VXR | T8 | T9 | Zafira | Astra Van

My uncle has just traded his 2011 41K Astra in for a Civic after his went bang. Looking at the costs involved it wasn't worth repairing.

The Civic problem is a load of nonsense. All that goes on them is the third gear synchro. Usually if they've been ragged from stone cold or had chip fat non genuine oil in the box.

9. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I won't shoot you but I ask you .. how often do you actually hear of these failures ?

It's all about prospect right.... says he who works in Quality department crunching warranty data day in day out. You ought to see the shocking failures I see where I work !
    The Gearbox reconditioner is probably repairing a lot of Civic and Jazz gearboxes around the early 2000s era when they had bearing failure issues.

I'm all for preventative maintenance though.

10. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

SpeedyGee likes this.
  11. FR-V Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Pete Lincs

This is the first, both for me and my mate who owns the local garage, that is why I asked about the rumour of them being a weak point.
    If the failures are in older/high mileage/abused cars then there is no problem, but if it is a common issue amongst newer, properly serviced cars (as in the VAG and Vauxhall ones) we need to know what to do to prevent it happening to ours.
    Remember, most of us on here love our Hondas and treat them well, but many others just drive them into the ground with little or no maintenance. My own daughter didn't see why her car had to be serviced as it had passed it's MoT so it was fine for another year!! This seems to be the general attitude of her generation, only mend it if it breaks. Or rent it for 3 years and give it back and get a new one.

SpeedyGee likes this.
  12. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

Truer words haven't been spoken about the general mentality towards cars.