General Honda Civic saloon coming to Europe

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by exec, Wednesday 15th Jun, 2016.

1. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    sc489 and legend-ary like this.
  2. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    The sedan looks huge! so yes that is the end of Accordian hopes..
    But I am glad that atleast people wanting a Honda saloon will have a choice even if it is not called Accord.

maybe Accord can then come back in limited numbers like the Legend.

exec likes this.
  3. sc489 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

The Civic saloon might be candidate to replace my 7th Generation Accord but only if the breakover angle is acceptable (I need 13 degrees or better). I've posted elsewhere on the Forum about new car designs tending to have longer wheelbases but no corresponding increase in the ground clearance. I hope the new Civic isn't another example of this customer unfriendly design trend.

4. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

They shouldn't call the saloon a Civic.

VAG are masters at the platform sharing thing - the Passat is just a stretched Golf after all - but they call the Golf saloon a Jetta to differentiate.

Honda should come up with a new name, leaving Civic for the hatch. I'm not suggesting they should call it an Accord, but a new name would be sensible IMHO.

Accord Compact perhaps?

SpeedyGee likes this.
  5. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    I think using the name is fine, its a well known name Civic and they have in the past sold Civic saloons, coupes, estates etc. Perhaps they can give it a fancy moniker like how they call the estate "tourer".

My concern would be that the Civic is a big car now with the extension in wheelbase and now somewhat straddling the C/D segment. Would that put C segment buyers off?

6. sc489 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Manu D segment cars have grown very large and long e.g. Mazda 6, Ford Modeo etc. A car size between C & D segments would suit me fine.

7. Bo_ Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I do agree with @exec - better to keep Civic and add something fancy. Otherwise Honda will end up like some other manufactures who have different name for each model modification. No need for that in my opinion

8. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

But if you think about it, it looks good when you say "we sold 50k Civics " instead of "we sold 30k Civics and 20k sport"

9. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

My concern is that as the Civic grows in size, customers will see having one as a 'step down' and not even go and look at one as it is 'only a Civic.'

John Dickson likes this.
  10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Accord was and always will be the Luxury Saloon if Civic wants that mantle a super size Civic will not give it that branding which it never had.

11. Bo_ Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

10-15 years ago I wouldn't even look at fiesta or polo. But nowadays they are even bigger than focus or golf back then.
    Even if older folk stick to one model, there are plenty of younger generation who will look at Civic as fully sufficient car for their needs.

legend-ary likes this.
  12. qc2 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom quince Bromley
    looks like a mondeo and rover 800 love child.

13. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

That is precisely why I wasn't going to wait for the larger, more expensive Civic as it's still a downgrade from the Accord.

New name is required definitely.

Imagine if Ford launched a larger Fiesta and called it Mondeo and charged Mondeo prices. Madness.

14. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

I don't think it will priced too high compared to currently Civic. considering the whole of USA is supplied with Swindon Civic hatch it doent require too much investment to adjust for saloon along side hatchbacks. It makes financial sense to use a single platform for multiple models like Jazz/HR-V or Civic hatch/saloon.

A massive 3000 of you bought the Accord in the year before it was dropped so its not exactly like Honda dropped a Jazz or something.

15. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I worry for the new Jazz and HR-V as it may be the case it's a struggle to get 3000 sales a year a piece. They certainly don't seem any more common than the 8th Generation Accord which is worrying

16. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

I haven't seen that many new HRVs - a few - but the new Jazz is around in significant numbers down here.

@legend-ary

The 8th Generation was imported in limited numbers from the start, and in the last couple of years it was actually quite difficult to find one to buy new! Honda also never really marketed it, which is a good job as dealers didn't have much stock to sell.

If they had imported 6,000, I guess they would have sold 6,000 - although whether at a profit is a moot point.

The frustration from many Accord owners on here is that thy didn't update the model, didn't advertise it, didn't import it in numbers (@John Dickson was unable to buy a new petrol more than a year before it was killed!) and then they dropped it because there was 'no demand' for a d-segment saloon...which explains the small numbers of Mazda 6, BMW 3/5, Audi A4/6 you see on the roads I guess. Oh, right...:Messed:

John Dickson likes this.
  17. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Not many of at all any new Jazz and definately only 2 HR-V seen around this area and even the dealership is full of other makes on the forecourt so that tells a story.

John Dickson likes this.
  18. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Bear in mind I'm spending a lot of time in Bristol and near Swindon...no shortage of Hondas of all types here!

The new Jazz seems to have been a particular success...not so much the HR-V although we know there have been supply problems.

When you drive through Swindon you'd think that everybody there must buy a Civic like it's a law or something! Ubiquitous sums it up...

legend-ary likes this.
  19. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

I think you have found the whole problem with Accord right there. Due to Yen gaining value it was too costly for Honda to keep importing Accord and selling it for the same price or even higher (it was already encroaching German territory.

20. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

As an aside, one of my colleagues has been looking for a new small car and is going out to buy one this weekend.

I had suggested a Jazz, but she wasn't impressed at all so has discounted it. The dealer she saw didn't sound like they were interested, and she thought the car was too expensive.

Instead she's decided to buy a Fiesta which she finds is cheaper, better to drive, and better equipped.