Autocar Honda Civic Type-R to begin testing

Discussion in 'News Feeds' started by Autocar, Wednesday 6th Mar, 2013.

1. Autocar Auto-Generated News Feed

New turbocharged Civic Type-R set to undergo testing at the Nurburgring The new Honda Civic Type-R will begin testing at the Nurburgring later this year
    Although it is not scheduled to be launched until 2015, company officials say that the ambitious performance targets - which include setting the fastest ever front-wheel drive lap time around the Nurburgring - mean that public testing will begin early.
    Honda has confirmed that the car will have between 265 and 300bhp, suggesting power for the new Civic Type-R will come from a turbocharged 2.0-litre engine.
    The manufacturer claims that knowledge gleaned from its participation in the World Touring Car Championship, using a turbocharged 1.6-litre engine, will directly influence its new Type-R unit.
    The new Honda Civic Type-R will initially be sold in Europe only, with non-European sales likely to follow if the car is well received. No prices have yet been announced.

2015-honda-civic-type-r_0.

More...

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Some decent horses there, should make for a very rapid Type-R.

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    A minimum of 300 HP will be required to demolish the opposition, If Honda claim this car to be the fastest FWD car it will need it and some special gearbox trickery to keep that power on the road.

4. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    300 HP through the front wheel?! I'll give it 1 week after launch before one is written off under steering into a hedge. I hope the have a very clever diff to overcome the torque steer as well.

The car should appeal to all the Civic Type-R fans.

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Honda won't do a Ford RS bud..

6. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    That was exactly the vision I was having.

I do have a tendency to agree with the 'James May' opinion of tuning cars for Nurburgring though, hope the handling isn't too stiff with the state of UK roads. Could make for a pretty pelvis shaking ride with all these pot holes.