Engine & Gearbox Honda Civic - Various Issues

Discussion in '8th Generation (2006-2011)' started by ArcticFire-Account Closed, Saturday 22nd Mar, 2014.

1. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    My brother had started to look for a new car as he's getting annoyed with his Civic because he says it's not performing as well as it used to and the economy is also about 10mpg less than it was two to three years ago. I've managed to convince him to keep it until I've had a good look at things but any thoughts what could be causing the performance drop and also the reduction with economy? It's the same commute that he's always done.

I serviced it in December with good oil, oil filter, air filter and cabin filter. The fuel filter was done at a garage not long before that so I never did it. I'm thinking is there an EGR valve that can be cleaned like the Mondeo? Also what about the inlet manifold, is it worth taking it off to see if it needs cleaned?

I've got some of that good injector cleaner at work which I'm going to put in the system.

Also, his VSA and ABS light comes on. His pads are fine, could this be a loose wire somewhere causing it?

If he ends up changing his car then he's wanting something not so harsh, his is the Sport and you really feel the bumps, has a bit of poke but is also economical. Oh, and a petrol and the same price as his current car. He's been looking at SAABs, Seat Leon's and the Exeo. I did point out though that he could get a 1.8 petrol Civic EX which should be better on the bumps, comes fully loaded and is actually very economical considering it's still got decent enough performance.

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Which year is this Civic fella the 6th or the 7th

3. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    2006 Year

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    So that'll be an R18 engine, yes they do have an EGR, its on the front side of the engine. It uses an internal port through the head to transfer EGR gases to the inlet manifold.So I think the only thing to clean really is the EGR valve itself.

You need to plug in an OBD reader to see what the fuel trims are saying.

As for the ABS/VSA it needs to be connected to HDS to see what the code is.

5. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Cheers, I'll see what's happening today hopefully

6. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    I've started seeing 2006 Civics with failing wheel speed sensors, mainly because of the buildup of corrosion inside the rear disc space where the sensor sits above the bearings reluctor ring. also common for front impact dammage cutting through the wiring loom to the modulator as it is directly behind the bumper. the flex in a bumper can hide a surprisingly big bump to the front if only a smart repair to the bumper was carried out after. but a DTC check is priority no1

Ichiban likes this.
  7. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Spent the afternoon on the Civic, wow that was some serious soot and dirt!

EGR valve very clogged including the engine block, MAF sensor dirty and another sensor which I'm sure was the MAP sensor was covered in crap. Also ran some good fuel system cleaner through it.

Initial starting of car struggled as expected and ECU light came on but it's cleared and feedback is that it's running great thank goodness, hopefully the economy will pick up also. So worth the effort and a bust thumb from removing the airbox lol Damn that engine bay is cramped!

Will get some photos up later.

VSA and ABS light still on so he's booking it into the local garage to get a printout from their diagnostics machine.

8. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
  9. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Holy, you weren't kidding. I've seen cleaner chimneys.

10. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Nice work Graham. I've edited your post so that pics can be seen in the thread rather than having to click over to Dropbox, hope you don't mind.

11. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    No problem although there's lots of broken links showing now and when I click on a photo that is showing it just comes up with a semi-transparent box and no photo?

12. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I think it can be chalked down to his driving. He used to commute from Edinburgh to Glasgow so was hitting about 25K miles a year most of which was [slowish] motorway, but now he's only doing perhaps 15K and it's local rush hour stuff - probably not good for the diesel engine hence him considering a petrol. But I think he's happy to keep it now as it feels much better. Told him to watch out for the placebo effect but he said it definitely felt like it was breathing better if that makes sense. It will need some time I reckon to allow the fuel system cleaner to work it's way through and burn off the crap and the ECU to adjust before he sees proper economy gains I reckon (or hope!). I'm still amazed at how they have managed to fit so much into such a small engine bay and although it's tricky it's not actually all that bad for access - just tight, but you don't really have to remove things to gain access.

He'll be pretty hard pushed to find another car that will give him the economy, performance and reliability that he's enjoyed at the same price. You'd have to go for a very new car, perhaps one of those small petrol turbos because otherwise he'd miss the torque. He can put his foot down a fair amount whilst still returning about 45mpg (before the big clean), you just wouldn't get that in a petrol unless driving like Miss Daisy! lol

13. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Why did you say its a weasel engine? We were all thinking its a petrol ..

14. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Oh yeah, never noticed what type of engine it was lol Aye it is a diesel and despite being in it's 8th year there still isn't any diesel chatter, only for a second as the revs drop to idle. A far cry from my Mondeo lol

More events happened last night though, he was driving home and lost his power steering and suddenly all the lights were going crazy in his dash. When he got home he couldn't restart the car. Nipped over pronto whilst Halfords was still open just in case. I'm guessing it's electric power steering? Anyway, hooked up torque and the bluetooth OBD2 connector and it was only showing 9.8V from the battery so a no brainer really. Swapped in a new higher capacity one and she started up like a dream. Can't grumble really as the battery was 8 years old from a lot of rush hour driving, although it makes me wonder how much stress this 'start-stop' technology puts on batteries, starter motors etc.

As I always say, were it another car he would probably have ended up on the hard shoulder but being a Honda it still gets you home! lol

15. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Well it's just all going wrong! Alternator gave up as he parked up at work. Had to be rescued to garage. Noticed it's a Denso alternator, there's also Bosch parts in the engine among others.

16. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

The Denso units are meant to be the better ones. Bosch alternators seem to die a lot more.

17. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    The thing that baffles me is that I stuff a new battery in it last night, slightly more powerful than the OEM one and I'm not sure if it's power steering or electric steering but anyway could it actually make a 15 mile drive in rush hour traffic just on the battery? Starting the car alone would have zapped it!

18. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

I wouldn't like to guess, depends also on whether the alternator is completely gone or whether it's just putting out low voltage. The battery should be good for more than just one start-up though, even on a diesel.

19. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Just heard back, new alternator in and an ABS sensor replaced. Road tested by them and all is well apparently.

DeviateDefiant likes this.
  20. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Further update, turned out the alternator was fine but a damaged connection was fixed. That sounds more like it!