General Honda commercial vehicles

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by donnod, Thursday 16th Jun, 2016.

1. donnod New Member Getting Started

United Kingdom don warrington
    Is there a good reason why Honda never entered the commercial vehicle sector?
    Do they sell commercial vehicles in Japan?

It seems they have missed out on a large and profitable market,

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Acty and the old school TN were sold here in the 60's then they never got into it. Honda's reluctance to get in diesel would be the clue why the never went into it. Now they are in diesel passenger car but they can't compete with the well established competition.

3. donnod New Member Getting Started

United Kingdom don warrington
    I work in fleet, and there is an increasing demand for petrol commercial vehicles as Diesel engines have become increasingly complex and expensive out of warranty.

Manufacturers have been slow on offering petrol commercial equivalents, although VW recently made available petrol versions of the caddy and transporter.

Smaller vans like the Fiat Fiorino and Doblo, or Citroen Berlingo/Peugeot Partner are available with petrol engines, but what we see more demand for is a mid size and large van in petrol format.

There is a real opening that a company like Honda could exploit

Ichiban likes this.
  4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I agree, but Honda need to shift more passenger cars before getting ahead of themselves.

FirstHonda likes this.
  5. Davej5 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Dave Cornwall
    The Acty was actually sold here up to the late eighties. When I worked at the dealer at that time we had one. There was a dairy that had four pick up's they used as milk floats but when they stopped selling them he had to change to Bedford Rascels and he said he could run all four Acty's on the fuel he used in one Bedford in a week.

6. NottsBiker Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Ben Nottingham
    As much as I hate to admit it I think the next 18 months will be our last with Honda. I've had two ek4's and one bb4 'lude and am now the proud owner of the Type-S Tourer which I love. The next 6 months will see a sat nav install, littlebo reflash n headers, RX8 wheels and maybe a 30mm drop but after that I fear she's gonna be too old for our annual drive to Southern Brittany.

Next on shopping list is a VW T5 Transporter

We have 3 Border Collies and soon 1 Ducati Monster 900

7. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

:whathesaid:

8. Denso23 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Denso23 London
    Toyota used to manufacture and sell the Hiace van in the uk. My father bough one in 2000 and still has it. The van has gone through hell carrying very heavy loads and has never broke down once. There is a good reason why in Africa and Asia it's the van of choice. Your transit or sprinter wouldn't last long there...

Sadly recently toyota have stopped seling the veichle in Europe and instead have joined up with the French Peugeot to offer a rebadged van called the proace. So that's happening with Toyota I don't think honda will ever get into European commercials - need to sell more cars as a priority and improve Swindon output

Harvey likes this.