Engine & Gearbox Honda CR-V 1st Generation PCV Valve petrol engines

Discussion in '1st Generation (1995-2001)' started by old grizzly, Tuesday 10th May, 2016.

1. old grizzly Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom RUSS HELSTON
    Hi found this is something on servicing that gets easily overlooked. Positive Crankcase Ventilation valve is a one way valve to stop any increases in gas pressure in engine crankcase which may have crept past cylinders or valves. If not checked can cause sluggish running or at worst oil seal leaks. As Old Grizzly my CR-V has high miles and dribbles a bit i found the PCV partly blocked. Its situated on the top of the valve cover and held in with a grommet with a vent tube running off it. If you look on Google images/vid there are good pics. I disconnected tube, pulled gently from grommet and checked by shaking it should rattle which is good . If not, bad! Honda suggest at a certain miles replacement to avoid this but, as i am on a budget, i sprayed carb cleaner through and black gunge came out. I let it dry and replaced. Noticed smoother engine idle and less oil dribble from valve cover gasket which is my next task. This is common on other models not just CR-V so a simple job and worth a look.

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    They generally get gummed up on engine with poor oil change history , on routing maintenance and good oil changed you will find them to be trouble free.

3. old grizzly Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Latest on old grizzly just finished valve gap adjustment and found two sets exhaust side tight again. Set at slack end to see how we go. Third time have done this since owning the car finally got new cover gasket not to leak. Clean engine no dribble! Found correct bolt tighten order and bought a small torque wrench to keep me under control. Changed ignition leads only reason dated 1999 same age as car! Replaced with Blueprint leads as used other bits they made before .Sadly not impressed got misfire on a hot day and under load so old ones back on. Will have to see how much new honda ones cost. Next job rear brake shoes [ hate doing em! ] and possibly new drums. Looking at getting all wheels off ground and clutch burnish on rear diff. Still odd noises after fluid flush change there now and then. Anyone done burnishing before? Did it help? Would like to know.

4. stuscrv Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Spain stu lanzarote
    Mine was terrible when I purchased it, the whole rear end would shake violently when parking and even driving around bends ! Honda charge £90 to do the job. Service manager said they fill with oil, rag it around the multi storey car park drain and refill.
    As I too drive mine on a budget my mechanic just drained and refilled with ATF. It sometimes sqweeks when rear wheel slips but its 99% improved and only cost a few pounds. Mines up to 143k now how many on yours ?

5. old grizzly Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Old grizzly has done 154500 miles . Hope used Honda DPF fluid not ATF on your rear dif. I tried driving round in circles but not much effect so wheels off ground next try clutch burnish as per Honda. Used non Honda fluid in accord once nearly screwed up auto box!

6. stuscrv Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Spain stu lanzarote
    No my mechanic showed me original plate on diff which says use ATF oil.
    He said it was designed for ATF and is still working well after 143 k so leave it like that !
    I hope its not a mistake lol. The only issue really was a badly designed vent pipe which allows water to get in. We think but can't prove it had never been changed but luckily didn't contain any water.