Engine & Gearbox Honda CR-V 2.2 Diesel P1041 Code

Discussion in '4th Generation (2013-2017)' started by Oscarmax, Thursday 1st Sep, 2016.

1. Oscarmax Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Melvin Tregynon
    Driving along today and the engine management light came on and then stopped, I had broken down in a dangerous space, so I restarted the car, it ran for a short while before stopping, I done this a couple of times enabling us to get to a safe place (layby). I popped my head under the bonnet to check everything and removed and reconnected the wiring harness to the airflow meter, it started so we proceeded to drive carefully home (10 miles) all was well.

When I got home I connected my tester it gave the reading P1041, I have cleared the code, it was more difficult to remove connect the airflow meter harness (after I refitted it at the roadside), I have cleaned the connecter with a special electrical connector spray.

The Honda has only 23,000 miles and just had its 3 year Honda service and MOT last month less than 600 miles ago. I am also not a fast drive, the car does not do short runs.

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
  3. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    I'm struggling with this one. The most common explanation I can find (using UK/US Honda car forums and several other internet resources that I normally use for code explanation) is that the injector 1 circuit has an electrical problem, as here... OBD II Fault Codes p1041 but I'm worried that this may not apply to diesels? Another explanation I've found is that the oxygen sensor requires cleaning, which possibly could apply to the I-DTEC engine? Unfortunately none of the forum threads lead to a conclusion about a repair, or I would provide a link to them.

Either way, I've no reason to think this is an airflow/MAF sensor problem. Perhaps moving the wiring loom is affecting another problem somewhere else under the bonnet, possibly associated with injector 1?

4. Oscarmax Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

The Honda has been serviced at the main Honda dealer for it 36,000/3 year service and MOT last month, I have just checked my mileage it is less than 400miles ago. I only use BP or Shell diesel, never supermarket fuel. We have noticed since the service when we went around roundabouts there has been a slight hesitation, coming off a roundabout the other day is when the engine management light came on.

When I checked under the bonnet the connector to the airflow meter appeared to be loose, once I refitted the connect and pushed it home, although the engine management light was on the car drove home fine. When I got home I connected my reader to retrieve the code. I have cleaned the connector with electric contact cleaner re-connected it and erased the code. I have taken the car for a 20 mile run stopping and starting, the engine management light has not come back on.

My fuel consumption is around the 50 mark, the car only goes on long runs, we have to date not seen the DPF light warning light come on in the 18 months we owned it.

We are taking the car down to local garage to enable them to put their equipment on the car, we dare not take the car back to the local Honda dealer, there service is appalling.

5. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Please do let us know how you get on. So long as their diagnostic equipment is properly interactive (so target-setting, like HDS or Snap-On with the correct key) then they should be able to provoke the problem. Another option would be for the garage to run their diagnostics in logging mode whilst driving the car around.

There is a chance that you've cured the problem by moving around the wiring loom, in which case the garage will find no fault.

6. Oscarmax Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Run the car today prior to taking it to the garage tomorrow car runs like a dream so confused ?

7. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    They can't fix it if it isn't broken!

Intermittent faults are the worst...

FirstHonda likes this.
  8. Oscarmax Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

My CR-V generation 3 had a problem with the engine wiring loom on 2 occasions, I wonder if this a Honda CR-V trait.

9. Oscarmax Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Just got the Honda back from the garage it has a full diagnostic test, all sensor voltage readings are correct, clean bill of health, they also change the fuel filter and the air filter which the main Honda dealer charged me for 400 miles/month ago. Hopefully it will be ok.

10. Oscarmax Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Done a 100 mile around trip yesterday, problem has not raised it head again. Fingers crossed.

Toggerefc and Ichiban like this.