Electrical & Lights Honda CR-V power window switch recall

Discussion in '2nd Generation (2002-2006)' started by mesizemeals, Friday 23rd Jan, 2015.

1. mesizemeals New Member Getting Started

United Kingdom steve stockport
    Hi all we have a Honda CR-V 2004 which had a recall on it on the drivers window power switch. You may know that on letting water in, these could poss burn out - as rain got in it one day, it stopped working so I booked it in.

Top and bottom of it is Stockport Honda re-sealed it and told me the window still wouldn't work, but I now know they didn't test that the switch itself was still working (they actually told me they had replaced the whole switch which was a load of Boloni!) I have been round the houses on their advice as they said it wouldn't be the regulator/motor (used one cost me £79) but this didn't turn out to be the problem as it was the switch itself when I had this verified by an auto electrician as well as another Honda dealer (cost me £50). Can anyone tell me if it is 'cast iron' the responsibility of the dealer to check/ensure the actual switch is fully working after this particular recall?

I have complained to Honda who are 'awful' in dealing with/getting back to me on this, This started in June 14 and has still not been resolved - I have 3 windows working but no drivers door window working....
    Here's a quote form the original press release...''Second series drivers are being asked to take their car to a dealer to have it checked and get the switch repaired.
    Honda's general manager for corporate affairs in the UK, Paul Ormond, said: "What we've got to do is check each of the window switch areas that the seal is tight and if there is any incidence of burning or anything underneath, we'll replace the circuitry there.
    "We will have it sorted out before Christmas''

The Macclesfield branch of Honda who officially confirmed the switch was the culprit said it would be normal and good practice to check over the switch to make sure it was working after re-sealing it as part of the recall. In the meantime Honda complaints dept have yet to contact me back as I asked this to be escalated and the call I was supposed to get a week ago doesnt look like its going to happen. thanks Steve

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    When was the first repair done?

3. mesizemeals New Member Getting Started

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Ok you have to accept the recall was to fix water ingress it does not extend or enhance the performance of the switch nor is it a lifetime warranty .. so like everything electrical it has a shelf life and its failed you need to pay for it.

Sorry fella I don't want to come across negative but why would Honda replace this switch on what grounds?

5. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    the very first step when carrying out the recall is to check the operation of all windows. then the door card is removed and switch. check for any melting or overheating and if none is found the internal resistance is checked of the switch. if this is not in spec a new switch should be fitted. otherwise a butyl seal/skirt is fitted around the switch
    - - - Updated - - -
    did you take your car in for the recall or because the window wasn't working? had the recall already been carried out?

6. mesizemeals New Member Getting Started

Ok thanks so what are we saying here? By the way I didnt 'ask' for a new switch I was just told that. I just want to know if I am right to pursue this as a recall not properly attended to
    - - - Updated - - -
    Thanks - no I took the car in as I was aware there was a recall on it for water getting in - indeed water had got in the day before and it stopped working. I think the point is that water got in because the switch wasn't sealed properly and thats why they had been recalled?

7. mesizemeals New Member Getting Started

I think the point to mention here is would my power switch have failed if it had been sealed in the factory properly? If no then this should have been sorted as part of the recall as per the statement from Paul Ormond.

8. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    so can you confirm that the recall had been carried out ? and can you prove that it is water ingress that has caused its failure? unfortunately electrical components fail and your car is over 10 years old. yes there was a recall regarding water ingress but how long has it been since the recall was carried out on your vehicle? if your switch had failed prior to the recall yes it would be replaced. unfortunately its a grey area. we all want things for free don't get me wrong

9. mesizemeals New Member Getting Started

Understand that but it rained with the window open and it stopped working - I hadnt taken the car for 2 recalls, as you say its old but figured that as this recall was about water ingress and as that's what had clearly happened I thought it was due to that fault. To me this is pretty clear cut - that fault was down to water getting in which was the nature of the recall. I just need to know that it was 'then' the responsibility of the dealer to sort this out so it would work again? I don't think it matters whether its free or not - if the part was faulty due to rain getting in the unit and that is clearly Hondas responsibility to sort as part of that recall? thanks
    - - - Updated - - -
    yes and sorry..in order... the window failed and then I took it in 2 days later for the recall which was carried out - it was sealed and I was told the switch was fine and that it would be the regulator or motor at fault so I then went and purchased a second hand one - I've not detailed this though too much to stay with the point even though I was clearly misled and also told the switch 'had' been replaced which the service manager has denied ever since! Staying with the facts Im just annoyed that I went round the houses and paid money to resolve and yet it was the switch all along

10. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    its the responsibility of the dealer to carry out the recall on your vehicle as per Hondas instruction. if you had taken your car into the dealer for the recall and any of the switches on the drivers panel didn't work the cause should be found and repaired by that dealer. if the fault is due to the switch itself it should have been replaced.

11. mesizemeals New Member Getting Started