Weekend Toy Honda CR-X Del Sol

Other Honda Models vehicle added by gzob, Saturday 10th Jan, 2015

1. gzob Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

gzob added a new Honda to the garage:

Honda CR-X Del Sol

Check the vehicle's full information here.

2. gzob Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Progressing slowly but progressing nevertheless!
    IMG_2006_zpsq85qhfrg.

In the last three months I had the chance to repair the damage and in the meanwhile prepare some mods. Already done:
    DC2 suspension
    Front DC2 brakes with 4x100 discs from MG ZR
    Fully rebuilt engine (d16y8) with custom forged rods, vitara pistons, supertech valvesprings
    Painted OZ wheels (bought the car with these on)
    New tyres (205/55/15 for slightly taller gearing to accomodate the increased power levels)

Slowly preparing the turbo kit. You can see the FMIC already installed waiting for the pipe work
    Waiting the turbo manifold (cast T3 with external wastegate provision) and just got a hardly used GTX2863R. This will be a fun car!

3. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Come along nicely @gzob.

Any chance you could document the turbo installation in much more detail ? Please .. pretty please :Grin:

4. gzob Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Of course I will! I will slowly show the progress when I get the car back in the garage and start the turbo conversion. In the meanwhile, I attach the photo of the turbo manifold and one of the car. She is getting prepared slowly but steadily.
    yhst-76804679891414_2267_16780128. IMG_2009_zps9jagzpe5.JPG

5. gzob Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Finally over, less some finishing touches (Honda badges etc).
    IMG_2038%20Medium_zpsxzuuaumg.
    IMG_2037%20Medium_zps6irrqhxv.

SpeedyGee likes this.
  6. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

7. gzob Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Almost there!

IMG_2140%20Large_zpswl0t5q0s.

Ichiban likes this.
  8. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Forgot how 'busy" the old D series engines bays look. This one looks even busier with the turbo stuff.

Interesting that the intake pipe comes up from the wheel well area, is that where the intercooler is ?

Also looks like you have a hefty sound system ?? :Grin:

You're nearly there, what's left ?:HobbyHorse:

9. gzob Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Minor details: mounting the IAT sensor, changing BOV spring, making sure there are no oil leaks from the turbo drain and of course some initial dyno tuning with low boost as the engine still has only 600 miles.

10. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Ooh, hello Del Sol - great new project @gzob. I've seen some crazy set-ups from little boosted D-Series engines, their potential isn't to be underestimated! Slightly surprised you're not running a B16/B18 considering how easy they are to drop in to the CR-Xs that don't already have them, and also just how well supported they are in aftermarket parts.

What kind of power are you shooting for?

11. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

New project ?? @gzob has been at this one since start of year ROFL :Grin:

12. gzob Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hey, I have built so many B series for customers that I wanted something different for my toy. I am growing old now and I do not like so much the high RPM madness of B series anymore :Smile: I am looking more for low-mid torque (this is why my family car is a supercharged K24). Let alone my first car was an EG with the B16 back in 1995 and I have owned for some years all combos (B16, B18C6, B20/VTEC)!

This little engine has about 105whp in stock trim in my dyno. Had some time yesterday to do some low boost-low RPM passes on the dyno so I can make it driveable on the streets and continue the break-in for another 300-400 miles. Wastegate spring pressure is about 0.65bar and this little monster managed to produce 180whp at just 5100 (more than my K24 in stock form!), going lean shortly after due to stock injectors for the moment (same as B series, 240cc/min). So I set the rev limiter at 5000rpm and continuing with the break - in. Even more impressive is torque at 25.4kgm at 4300-5000rpm, at the wheels!

Specs:

ENGINE
    D16y8 with long rods and vitara pistons 75.5mm
    Supertech valvesprings
    ARP head studs
    Modified oil pump (they suck in D16y8)

TURBO KIT - EXHAUST
    Go-Autoworks cast exhaust manifold
    Garrett GTX2863R
    70mm downpipe, external wastegate merges in it about 15" away from the turbo
    S2000 OEM catalytic converter (first piece removed. Second is good for about 300hp. FYI, the OEM S2000 cat is a high quality piece made by HJS)
    76mm exhaust after the converter with resonator and dynomax VT muffler (all 3"=76mm)
    All the above with the AC in place with NO modifications

MANAGEMENT- FUELING
    S2000 fuel pump
    Stock injectors for the moment, will use some modified K20/K24 ones which flow about 520cc/min
    Stock MAP sensor for the moment, will upgrade to Hondata 4bar when I get the injectors on and raise boost levels

I am testing some new ECUs at the moment. I tuned the car both with the infamous OBDI P28/P30 and with an aftermarket ECU (Ultratech). Will use the Ultratech cause I have plans to ditch the distributor and going with 4 coils (coil-on-plug).

13. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Yeah but we didn't get any updates till March, that's not that long ago :Laughing:

I follow you bud, to be fair it's great seeing someone do a properly boosted D-Series. We see tons over here but they're all young kids buying eBay turbo kits and having their local grease monkeys fit them :Whistle:

That's some insanely impressive powerful considering you're just conservatively testing the waters. 220-240hp I've seen many times on the D16s, unless you're shooting way higher I'm sure you'll do fine on some OEM RDX injectors (310cc), K-Tuned sell hats to fit them to D/B-Series engines and they're pretty cheap. If you want some, give me a shout.

Garrett :mosh:That's actually a massive downpipe and exhaust for a little 1.6. Love the fact you've retained the stock A/C, and the bay hasn't been tucked/stripped etc. - no compromises on the car's original features.

14. gzob Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

RDX are 410cc but I will need more (the modified K20/K24 flow about 520cc/min) as I would like to have one boost level set quite high (1.3-1.5bar) where I expect more than 300whp (this is why I also built large downpipe and exhaust). Everyday driving will still be set at wastegate spring pressure (0.65bar) where I expect about 200whp given the 180whp I saw at just 5100rpm. I noted some oil leakage from my turbo oil drain that will set me back for a couple of days (have to remove the downpipe to access the drain) but such minor things are always expected in major modification projects. Will keep you posted, I expect full boost on broken in engine in about 2-3 weeks.

15. gzob Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Soooo happy today. Installed the 520cc/min modified K20 injectors, same boost level (0.65bar) and here are the results. VERY fast for the little D16 and this level of boost.

IMG_2169 (Large).JPG
    - - - Updated - - -
    Next plans: installing an FR-V valve cover with 4 coils and raise boost level at what it takes to get 300whp (at the hubs). I predict around 1.2-1.3 bar of boost.

DeviateDefiant likes this.
  16. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

This is going to be one nippy CR-X man :Grin:

FR-V-V valve cover ?? What series engine ? I'm confused :crazyeyes:

17. gzob Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

D17, I do not know if you have this engine in the UK or FR-V was produced with the K20 only. D17 has coils-on-plug, very similar to the D16V1 found on the Civic EP2. Valve cover is a direct fit on the D16y8 (you just have to plug the oil dip stick hole which is placed elsewhere in the D16y8). I got one valve cover, 4x coils and coil cover from an FR-V. I already have an aftermarket ECU to drive the 4x coils, keeping the stock distributor just for the crank/cam sensors (removing ignition module and coil from inside).

18. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

FR-V comes in R18, K20 and N22 engines, I don't know of any FR-V with a D series in it.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Oh no wait yes, you can get 1.7 litre FRVs come to think of it !!

I hadn't realised that was a D series engine.

I'm with you now ! :Grin: (it's early morning, I'm still drowsy LOL)

19. gzob Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hello. I would like to play a little with gear ratios. Does anybody know if parts from the HR-V are interchangeable with other D series gearboxes? I would like to install the final drive and 3-4 from it, they seem very nice.

20. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

No sorry, never looked into the D series transmissions.