In-Depth Honda Customer Leaflet on Diesel Particulate Filters

Discussion in 'Technical Articles' started by Ichiban, Thursday 12th Jan, 2012.

1. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    By popular demand a lot of 8th Generation owners have not received the guidance on how to use the DPF equipped cars nor been handed the customer leaflet at the time of delivery. To make it easy for all Diesel 8th Generation owners please find the user guide and print it off for future reference. Hope this guide by Honda puts people at ease in what to do when you see the DPF light. Thanks goes to Honda for this brilliant guide.

WHAT IS A DIESEL PARTICULATE FILTER?

In simple terms the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) is part of the exhaust system responsible for collecting the engine exhaust particulates before they enter the atmosphere.

WHY HAVE A DPF?
    The DPF filters the exhaust smoke and black soot is reduced. The result is a cleaner environment and less pollution entering the atmosphere.

HOW DOES THE DPF WORK?
    In addition to converting the harmful exhaust gases, as in a conventional catalytic converter, the DPF also catches soot particles emitted in the exhaust gas. The DPF continues to collect soot particles until a predetermined level is reached. At this point the DPF will clean itself through a process known as DPF Regeneration. This process increases the temperature within the DPF and burns off the soot particles.

DPF Flow.PNG

HOW WILL THE DPF AFFECT ME?
    In order to carry out the regeneration process the DPF needs to reach and maintain an exhaust temperature higher than its normal. Under most conditions the vehicle is able to carry out the regeneration procedure unaided. However, in some circumstances where the required temperature cannot be achieved, i.e. frequent short journeys or stop/start driving, the vehicle may fail to regenerate the DPF.

WHAT SHOULD I DO IF THE DPF WARNING COMES ON?
    When the warning shown illuminates, it does not mean there is a fault on the vehicle.
    It means the vehicle needs help to carry out DPF regeneration. The procedure involves the vehicle being driven in a certain way to help increase the exhaust temperature. Drive continuously at a speed of at least 40 MPH until the warning extinguishes. . This may take 15 minutes or more.

If the conditions described are not met and the DPF warning will not extinguish, the level of soot in the DPF will continue to increase.

MID DPF.

WHAT HAPPENS IF THE WARNING COMES ON PERMANENTLY
    If the lamp comes on permanently or the multi info display displays “Check System” the DPF regeneration can only be carried out at a Honda dealer. It is recommended that the vehicle be driven straight to a Honda dealer. Failure to adhere to this recommendation may result in reduced engine power followed by the DPF becoming blocked. If the DPF is blocked to the point where it is not possible to perform the regeneration process, the DPF will need to be replaced.

If the vehicle is filled with Petrol in error or modifications are carried out to the engine this may damage the DPF system.

(Be aware that the repair work is not covered by warranty in these areas.)

If you require any further details on the use or operation of the DPF system please contact your nearest Honda dealer.

smcnei likes this.
  2. bruceCU2 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Excellent -finally I find a clear and straight forward explanation as to what this is - thank you.

3. Gazza Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Gazza Borough Green
    Hi
    I know it depends on how the car is driven, but how often would you expect a Regeneration cycle take place is it say every 300 miles or 3000 miles.

4. oyo2 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Re: Very weak paint

Well What can i say. the paint work is so soft and thin that when i cleaned my car my nails had scratched a long the drivers door and wing, my honda garage suggested i had it professionally polished at a body shop at a cost of £150 which i think is a joke when the car is only two and a half years old. will be having more words with them this monday.

Also we have had a problem with the DPF 3 times in the last year, no warnings, the DPF light comes on and it goes into limp mode and becomes dangerous to drive, havind to take it back to honda every time to have it reset. no faults found, had comments about using cheap diesel and not doing many miles being a bit of a poor excuse really, funny when the first 6 months we used tesco and were getting about 50 to 60 MPG and now only getting 40 to 45 MPG, this time with a new service manager saying thay had problems with the early DPF units thay are changing it this coming monday. hope this sorts it out as i will be chopping it in for another car,

5. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

can't comment on whether there were/are issues with early DPFs, but what I can say is yes, supermarket fuel is poor quality and most DPF-equipped cars don't agree with them. You would have had this issue no matter what (DPF-equipped) car it was.

Same for the journeys - a common myth is that diesels give good mileage on short trips. They don't. They just clog up the DPF because they're never running at high temps to clear the gunk inside them. How often and for how long do you drive on m-ways etc? Because driving style affects DPF cars. If you're doing nothing but short journeys, then perhaps a petrol would have been a better choice.

Sorry to say - far too many people buy diesel cars and have no idea what maintenance regime they need. Thats not a pop at you - thats my observation on countless buyers, irrespective of whether its Honda or another make.

I've never EVER had ANY issue with my Accord - because its driven how Honda had intended.

John Dickson and Ichiban like this.
  6. oyo2 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

its a shame that honda do not tell you about this when you by one, i wouldn't have chosen one. as for the supermarkets thay will end up not selling an diesel in a couple of years because its not to standards, which they should be to sell it. should they put a warning up to say NOT FOR DIESELS WITH DPF's.

7. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

With all due respect, thats the buyers responsibility. No car maker will tell you about recommended servicing regimes, required driving standards etc unless you ask them first. You have to ask questions/do research. Its no different as to when a person buys a new flat screen TV.

You have to know what each model does/does not do before you buy. Buying on impulse, more often that not, results in some form of regret. NOT at all implying this is the case for you, but it is clear you could have done some digging prior to buying. As always, its hindsight.

As for the supermarket fuel, well, it also applies to petrol, not just diesel. It has been well documented that the likes of Tesco have (in the past at least) supplied fuel that was contaminated:

Compensation battle over 'contaminated' Tesco petrol claim | This is Hull and East Riding

8. efalzon Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Malta

same thoughts :Smile:

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds

Oyo2 and Efalzon did both of you buy your cars from Honda dealerships brand new or second hand ?

10. efalzon Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Malta

yes from honda

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds

Brand new or second hand?

12. efalzon Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Malta

approved used

13. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds

Was this in Malta or UK?

14. efalzon Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Malta

uk .........

15. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Approved car sales you as the Owner have do do your research you will not be told what the first owner was! or read the owners manual .

That is the reason why all the DPF related information is here just in case owners missed it not given we bridge that gap . We accuse the government today intervening in our daily lives telling us how to raise our children not smack em etc etc.

You expect a manufacturer to do that ? it not going to happen so let please get some sense of realism into this.

16. efalzon Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Malta
    Fully Agree with that. we should not expect anything and we have to ensure the car is well maintained as per all recommendations.

One have to say however, that given under the approved scheme, one is paying a premium for warranty, and actually your vehicle is guaranteed for a whole year with the option to extend it, then yes I would expect reassurance from any manufacturer. If that is not the case, I can buy my car from any tom dick and harry and not opt from the premium approved pricing. By having Honda (or any other manufacturer for what it takes) selling these cars, then yes, they are (and have to), sustain their reputation.

17. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Could you elaborate on this this please outline what you really want ? and what is Honda not delivering and what you want changing.

Take you time to go through the 8th Generation section you will see if there is any issue no matter what it is Honda put a fix out immediately by a technical document aka TSB. You have a pretty good system in place in the UK , Malta I cannot comment if you feel you are not getting a suitable response from HM then write to them or call Honda Malta.

18. efalzon Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Malta
    Thanks IchibanAccord. Your forum is just great.

what i really want is just get to the crux of the problem and understand what can be done to prevent a DPF problem if a diesel is only used for town driving and short trips.

would not settle for comments that modern diesels are not suitable for such driving styles (which in all fairness you have not said anything to this context as far as i know) - if only that was the case it is only logical to feel disappointed.

from what i gathered so far one has to make sure all the recommended oils are used, which i fully concur to that.

Trying to figure out also, in whether it is possible to do a DPF regeneration if there is no way to drive for a least 15 min on 45mph (and without obviously any mechanical intervention)

19. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Thanks for the support, The Honda diesel are very efficient engine they take ages to get to normal operating temperatures and for DPF regeneration to occur it needs to be hot. Really hot.

Malta is smallish island and from what I have seen when I end up there for a holiday, the average vehicle speed is not high..you need to do a lot of miles with engine load to get the car and the DPF up to normal operating temperature. So in your case you may be in a vicious cycle.

I don't know if you have seen the threads ROI owners have a major problem of adulterated diesel which plays havoc with diesel cars and DPF. How the diesel fuel quality like in Malta are you guaranteed the fuel is to the standard for your UK car spec? If diesel quality is poor then you have no chance in hell to fix it ..it’s simple as that.

Coming to the question how you can do regeneration without driving the only way is by forced regeneration via HDS or similar equipment which allows you to do it.
    In your case you should get it done once in two months regardless at a Honda dealer or a local agent with experience. To get inexpensive DPF complaint oil I can send you a discount code from lubetech you can buy in bulk and spread the cost , you do need to look at import duties.