ICE & HFT Honda DAB radio kit 08D02-TL0-KIT Review

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by Smokingman, Monday 6th Jun, 2016.

1. Smokingman Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom John Lincoln
    I fitted the above Honda kit at the weekend which cost £150 from Holdcroft. The kit is well made with comprehensive instructions provided. Install time upwards of four hours. See my install guide.

Here in Lincoln my portable DAB radio will receive most DAB stations. This radio out of the box after a rescan will not (Absolutely 80, 90 display no signal to name but two) some other channels are the same, some channels are not ever received!! Most of the BBC, and national work fine as do some others. After a scan it will display a number of found stations, of which a smaller number will be usable. Drove over to Worksop and the situation was the same.

In use it seems Okay with selected station name displayed on the main display (can change depending on signal strength)
    DSC_0029.JPG

Sound quality is good slightly better than FM were you may get hiss etc. but it is prone to sudden loss of signal this can happen in town or country

All issues I attribute to the enclosed screen mounted aerial.

Pro's
    Hidden (can only see aerial).
    Integrated into radio.
    Steering wheel control.
    Very good install instructions, user guide.
    DAB radio channels.

Conns
    Expensive £150 from Holdcroft.
    Lack of DAB channels with provided aerial.

Would I recommend this unit-with hindsight NO. If I could obtain a better aerial to test this may change.

John.

Attached Files:

Ichiban likes this.
  2. Nels Moderator Staff Team

I agree that if you were able to get a better aerial, the reception issue could be improved.

Does anyone know of any?

3. acerif Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi chaps,
    Whilst not an ideal solution, I'm using one of these:
    Kinetic MagnetwiG DMA-1004 Magnetic Mount DAB Car Radio Aerial

It gives me much better reception with my dab kit, having tried one with an internal glass mount aerial, I got about 8 stations where I live, with the external one I get over 30 at home, and many more on the move.

Hope this helps,

Tim

4. Smokingman Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

@acerif.
    I was looking at something along those lines. As I read on another Web page of a guy which used a mag mounted aerial with go results. Just need to find a way to run one in.
    John

5. acerif Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi John, mines mounted about 12" from the rear edge of the roof, cable goes straight back, and then under the boot seal. I sealed it there with some dumdum type putty, and so far so good, no sign of water getting in. The cable then tucks quite neatly through the joins in the trim panels, and up into the roof lining by pulling the door seals down. Plus the cable is long enough to reach to the centre of the dash,which is where my control unit is fitted.

Tim

6. pauljdh Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom pauljdh Belper
    I enquired a few months back and spares at HH denied any knowledge of this kit, did you buy it recently and do you know if they have stocks?

7. Smokingman Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi.
    I'm not sure about stock holding at H H, but I purchased about three weeks ago from them for £150. Part number in my guide.

pauljdh likes this.
  8. pauljdh Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks, Illl give them a tinkle tomorrow!

9. Smokingman Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

10. pauljdh Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yes, £175 supplied (i never asked for member discount) and £75 to fit it. If I can get it for £150 plus £75 for install I'll go for its long as I can use a roof ariel with it. I currently use a pure highway from the glovebox with a magnetic roof ariel but I can't navigate thru stations etc, - the screen ariel supplied was rubbish and vastly improved by the roof one.
    Can this unit take a small jack plug form a decent ariel?
    Cheers

11. Smokingman Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I believe the connector is called SMB, anyway it's a screw type.

12. Smokingman Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Correction to my post above it is a SMA connector.

John