In-Depth Honda diagnostic Tools- New Version out Denso DST-i

Discussion in 'Technical Articles' started by Service News, Wednesday 9th Mar, 2016.

1. Service News Staff Managed Dealer Information

UK
    Honda today have announced they are phasing out the MVCI which was only introduced five years ago, by then there have been a lot of advancement on the diagnostic field which makes the MVCI look ancient! .First let go down memory lane and see what was there prior to the all new signing dancing Denso DST-i.

1) First there was the PGM-FI code reader
    34261_photo11. 34262_photo12.

2) Then the GNA

upload_2016-3-9_16-3-37.
    3) Then the Diagnostic System Tablet with HDS
    upload_2016-3-9_15-58-20.

upload_2016-3-9_16-1-9.
    4 ) Then the HIM with HDS
    HIM.

5) MVCI with H.A.R.T. (Honda Advanced Repair Technology)
    upload_2016-3-9_16-12-53.

upload_2016-3-9_16-13-40.

Now for 2016

6)Denso DST-i with HART

c_dst-i_part_01_2.

Honda TSB #SQ-16-003-00UK dated 09-03-16

Background Information
    As automotive technology advances the need to keep up with this technology requires updates in the equipment that is used to diagnose vehicle problems when they occur. The HART diagnostic package is now over 5 years old and for many dealers this equipment is now out of its
    warranty. To support new technology in future models, it has now come time to update the HART package. The new HART package will be rolled out over the whole dealer network during 2016 and it will be available on a 5 year lease package.

New HART equipment
    Panasonic CF-54 8GB / 256GB SSD
    upload_2016-3-9_16-23-11.
    Improvements over old specification HART
    • Faster Device Start-up
    • SSD hard drive - has less moving part = reduced failure points
    • Improved Specification – 4GB to 8GB / 256GB SSD.

Denso DST-i
    upload_2016-3-9_16-24-42.
    Stand-alone functions:
    MVCI-equivalent function: ECU Rewrite via CM Update
    New function: Vehicle DTC Read
    Better usability: Booting time: 3 secs, high-performance
    WiFi and big LCD screen.

2. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Now that's a nice piece of kit for my garage - Just may take a while to save up for it. :money:

Ichiban likes this.
  3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Just think how many dealers in the UK have spend 15K on MVCI 5 years ago then an exorbitant maintenance agreement a year which would be nothing less than 2K a year to be know told you have to open your wallets again!! Madness!

4. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Surely it just needs a software update/upgrade?

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Nope out with the old in with the new its redundant!

6. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Do they sell off the old ones?

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Snap on will collect them will dispose of them Honda dealers won't own these MCVI the entire lot are on business lease.

8. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Shame.

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I will keep my ears to the ground and see if I can get a MVCI on the cheap. I have had my HIM for 9 years now and its time for a replacement.

Nels likes this.
  10. Nels Moderator Staff Team

:goodluck: :fingerscrossed:

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Quick update on this thread. The dealers will be receiving there new kit to their dealership, it will be preinstalled with the latest level HDS software, however towards the end of this year Honda will be introducing i-HDS software, this will be compatible with any new model from 2017, the first model will be new 2017 Civic (10th Generation Civic) HDS software will continue to support all pre 2017 models, existing HDS MVCI software will only be supported until the migration of new H.A.R.T is complete, the date is still to be confirmed.

When new i-HDS is installed you will see two HDS icons on the laptops desktop (see below), when you connect to a vehicle it will automatically predetermine which software is required and launch the appropriate HDS program.
    Further information on i-HDS software will be issued at a later date as soon as we get it.

upload_2016-7-25_8-40-13.

dinoc and legend-ary like this.
  12. Dan MI New Member Getting Started

United States Dan Holland
    Honda are selling these without software for $1650.00 on their web sight. Tempting for a shop that does a lot of Hondas, but wait, what can this do that the Mongoose pass-through ($500) can't. My conclusion is that this unit will also do pre 2008 cars where as the Mongoose can not.
    Can it initialize ECUs I wonder since this software was only available at an extra cost or so It would seem anyway.
    Its not 100% clear but reading the info on the Honda sight it looks like you could use their diagnostic software for $10.00 a day or 1547.00 $ a year.
    If we could pay $1650.00 plus between $10 and $30 per days use (plus another $15 for antitheft related software) for real dealer level functionality for all 94 on Hondas it is still tempting over the Mongoose.
    Anyone used the Honda software via a Mongoose, when GM did the same thing with their scan tool software, people were reporting many problems and holes in the software.

13. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    @Ichiban im not sure if after the lease each dealer then own the hardware but 99% of dealers keep hold of them. The contract rolls on to the new set of hardware. We have never been asked to return redundant hardware. Good luck in getting hold of one though. It's not something a dealer is able to or can sell. Unless there into a bit of shady under the counter stuff. There not meant to be sold on.

Nels and Ichiban like this.
  14. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Thanks beefy you never know stranger things have happened.