Service & Maintenance honda diagnostic tools

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by jonny farrell, Monday 10th Dec, 2012.

1. jonny farrell Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

hey guys we are see a lot of I-DTEC Accords back with DPF issues i need a diagnostic tool myself for doing regens is there any tools or software someone can recommend as i do get on well with the honda dealer he,s 20 miles away every time i need it done. i see honda HDS him scanners on ebay and a tool called xhorse MVCI anyone know anything about these or would recommend anything else thanks jonny

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  3. jonny farrell Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

wow that is some offer ichiban id love to have the genuine stuff but the only problem is the irish sea between us i know its cheeky but is there any of the chinese stuff you would slightly even reccomend :Friends:

Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 23rd Feb, 2014
  4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Mate the Chinese copies are poor quality and the software upgrades are possible but depend which cloners has used which chipset . You get into the realms of being a geek finding drivers firmware well into bodge and scarper zone.

Speedy has bough a Chinese clone and he facing intermittent forms use over RS323 serial. I use RS323 over USB and it works perfectly . As long you are aware these type of gremlins will always chase you around.. If it worth that hassle I could easily resolve these gremlins as I have seen them and got the t shirt too .

MVCI is so expensive it unreal , the current second gen HDS and HIM will work on the 8th Generation so if you plan to stick with Honda this is going to gather dust after your 8th Generation.

5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Yh mine gives me proper headaches connecting and that's with a physical com port on a PC. On the odd occasion that it does connect it's great and it's helped me sort VSA issues, SRS issues etc.

It's worth a punt for sure but don't expect it to be trouble free product LOL

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    That the key thing to remember be flexible and be prepared to be frustrated when it doesn't work ,it temperamental but don't let it get the better of you as it will wind you up.

But if we get a lot of members here wanting to buy the clone HDS\HIM I am prepared to give a face to face setup on a meet so you guys can get a grips with it.

All for free , beer token will be nice but not necessary. :Drinks:

7. jonny farrell Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

i must try and meet up next time im over the water. i do like a few pint in leeds a good town to go out in thanks for the advice:Thumbup:
    - - - Updated - - -
    hi speedy its just i need something to force regens only there is a couple on ebay where did you purchase if you don't mind me asking i think this seems to be the best iv found so far he say it does cars up to 2010 http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260813137859&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:GB:1123

Ichiban likes this.
  8. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Yes, I got mine from ebay, can't find the exact one now but you can get them cheaper than the link you posted. Unless your looking for UK shipping ? The item still seems to be a China import, looking at the power plug on there.

9. Rakoribs Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hello CJ,

Can you connect a standard OBD reader to a modern Honda to read error codes? (my car is a 2009 Accord I-DTEC)
    (I don't know what type of reader is required in respect to the OBD protocols Honda use for interface, canbus, etc?)
    If you can, what type of reader/protocol is required and where can you get free or purchased software that interfaces happily with the Honda? (if there is any available)

All the references to PGM & HDS & MVCI are confusing (on the"Honda Diagnostics & Troubleshooting for AOC Member" thread) - are they the official Honda tools that also offer ECU software updates/recalls & manual regeneration for Honda dealerships?
    Or, do you require these dealership tools to do any basic OBD reading at all?
    If so, I though OBDII was an international standard that all car manufacturers had to adhere to for the basic control unit registers and DTC setup? (although there are usually manufacturer/model-specific extensions/additions)

I've used a cheap ebay OBD reader for checking faults on my Alfa 156 for the last few years (Engine, Airbags, Power Steering & ABS), very handy when warning lights come on or you have a strange fault, or for the dreaded "Return to dealer" warning.
    Used the "FiatECU" free software version.

Many thanks.
    Regards, Mark.

10. Rakoribs Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

It turns out you can connect to the Honda OBD system with normal OBD hardware/software (we did it yesterday with a bluetooth OBD socket adapter and an android phone with 'Torque' installed).

So what's all the fuss about needing special Honda hardware/software? (PGM/HDS/MVCI)
    Is this just for higher functions that normally only a dealer would carry out (EG, diesel DPF regeneration and ECU updates)?

Cheers, Mark.

11. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Hi Mark,
    You do can read EuroX legislation related DTC's via generic obd readers. But you miss things like ABS, actuator tests, body electronics, etc...? That's because that's not mandatory. No brand makes those readable via a generic tool.
    I also have Torque on my android phone.
    Question: can you bring up your engine oil temp? I do can bring up the gauge, but it remains empty.

Rakoribs likes this.
  12. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    re the HONDA HIM on ebay, so long as it is the genuine article and the dvd comes with a version of the HDS software, thereticaly you will be able to carry out re-gens. the only issue being that the latest software is ony avaliable for the latest honda diag computer. therefore updates for the way the re-gen is carried out are not avaliable for the HIM you plan to purchase. its very confusing outside the world of honda but times move on and like all manufacturers so do there technologies and its all software based. so yes you can do a re-gen but as to how successfull it will be i don't know because i don't use that old a software anymore.

Ichiban likes this.
  13. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Don't forget that the HIM with its software will only work on OLDER vehicles than the latest Civic gen. Still works on the 8th Generation but no more updates for that one nether from release latest Civic gen. No ECU updates from latest Civic gen onwards. So the HIM should be very, very cheap.

14. Hallenser1976 New Member Getting Started

Hello Honda fans

I have such a HIM and HDS versions of the 2027, it also works.
    So in the HDS can be programmed it, which indeed goes and '08 Accord CW3 is also a link between ECU HIM HDS.

Yet from HIM HDS 3002 I can no longer select during installation and can not find the function in the HIM HDS to enable or program.

If the HIM no longer supported HDS 3 *** or missing me as only driver or something?

Thanks and greetings from Germany

accord2008.net

15. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Hi Hallenser,
    The HIM does not work anymore with any Honda HDS software from new Civic onwards. 2.027 is indeed the latest that will work. 3th gen software only works with MVCI. You don't miss a driver. It's the hardware. Communication is different.

16. Hallenser1976 New Member Getting Started

Ok this is a pity that the Honda HDS HIM no longer supported as of 3002. Then there will probably be no more updates since the HIM along with the HDS. I had gained the HIM to use it in my Accord 08-12 and their friends can test for error messages or system of areas. At least you have all the possibilities that in the HDS 2027 or are there features that are locked and only work with the expensive MVCI?

17. Rakoribs Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks DSi, i understand now.
    I had to use a switch on the OBS reader wiring for reading ABS and other control unit areas on the Alfa 156, i guess that kind of tweak isn't going to work on the new Honda's.
    Unfortunately i can't check your request to compare, it wasn't my bluetooth OBD dongle and it wasn't my android phone (i'm still in the dark ages with a Moto V8).
    Cheers, Mark.

18. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Nothing's locked when using 027 on the HIM. It just means that's the endstation for the previous gen diagnostic system. You do can test all error messages for systems that were supported untill 027 version. If later something new came on the (e.g.) Accord 2012 or 13 it will not be supported. Something like the high beam auto system. And you mis any ECU rewrite.

19. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Exactly all HIM are from china and the ones on ebay are 100% clones tied to one specific HDS software, there is no way of updating them to the latest and greatest software.There is a documented proof here a chap in London got his DPF regenerated by the Halifax file uploader to have the DPF clogged in a few days. As beefy has said Honda has made massive changed to the ECU software and the HDS too has been updated to ensure regeneration is done to the correct values.

Use these cloned devices at your peril.