In-Depth Honda Discontinues 10w-40 Engine Oils

Discussion in 'Technical Articles' started by Ichiban, Friday 7th Mar, 2014.

1. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Honda today has announced its focus on lower viscosity oils to contribute in the emission reduction, which has led to a partnership with Castrol and that a new recommended Castrol Engine Oil Chart has been released.

General - Castrol and Honda jointly create new Engine oils for European Honda's • Honda Karma

In essence the entire current petrol line up will be using 0w-20 oils, which is a step in the right direction. I personally have been using 0w-20 in my 8th Generation 2.4 since 2012 and the results have been superb and would completely and safely say its the best oil for the car.

The following 10W-40 10W-40 oil part number will be discontinued from March 21st 2014:

08232-P99L2LHE 1L
    08232-P99L4LHE 4L

Please see the new Honda Engine Oil Application chart below.

Attached Files:

2. Gergely Kocsiscsák Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Greg
    Interesting, I changed 0w-20 to 5w-40 in my CTR because it had the habit to sip the thinner one. No such problem with the Accord?

3. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    If you drive quite spirited I'd be going for thicker oil anyway, mine's going back on 5w-40 next service from 0w-30. Haven't used the 0w-20 but several members speak to its astounding fuel economy.

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I have stopped using 5w-40 in my 7th Generation it now runs on 0w-30 and after a valve clearance it super smooth infact smoother than its ever run on 5w-40.. so check your clearance bud..

5. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Pff, you mean you'll show me how to adjust the valve clearances whenever we next bump heads in person right? :Innocent:

6. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    If you take the inlet cover off and place a thick towel over in the petrol injectors, that'll dampen the noise from the petrol injectors and you'll be able to listen to just the engine.

You'll be surprised how quite a K series engine is without the clatter of the injectors. Its gives you a good idea of condition of engine. I've got some BRC LPG injectors and purely by their nature and their age they are rather clackerty but without them the engine is so so quiet !

DISCLAIMER: Be care when placing the towel, make sure no parts of it dangles down and risk getting wrapped up by the aux belt !!

Alternatively you can use a long thin screwdriver as a stethoscope and touch it at the base of the rocker cover in line with each cylinder, you can hear the valves from each cylinder and from this determine if you need to have your valve clearances done :Smile:

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    There is a easier way ,turn the injectors off via HDS and then crank you will hear total silence. You are right the injectors on the 7th Generation give the ticking sound of a sewing machine and those are the injectors. 8th Generation is a bit quieter less of the sewing machine noise. but when the valves are out of spec they make a noise.

8. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    You'll have starter motor chugging away then too though

9. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Unfortunately I wouldn't have a good baseline for comparison, if I had another perfectly adjusted engine running next to mine I'd be able to tell the difference - but without one, I'm not 100% on what it should sound like. Other than a bit of common sense!

10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    yeah but you can make the differential if you are hard of hearing then you can't LOL

Come up to me when the car is sorted! or I come to you.

DeviateDefiant likes this.
  11. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Well we'll have that big day at some point going over my car for various bits lmao :Smile:

12. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Why did they discontinue 10w40 - my cars been using Castrol Magnatec/GTX 10w40 for over a decade now, it's still on sale too so why change?

13. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    To get the engines running slightly hotter for better emissions bud.. TBH 10w-40 is old school this thicker oil is better than thinner just doesn't hold up ..science has moved on.