Generator Honda E300E # 1

Energy & Marine vehicle added by Ichiban, Saturday 30th May, 2015

1. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Ichiban added a new Honda to the garage:

Honda E300

Check the vehicle's full information here.

HondaHeritage likes this.
  2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Quick update the courier will pick up the geneie on Tuesday and I should have delivery of this bad boy soon ready for it full strip down.

HondaHeritage and SpeedyGee like this.
  3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Yesterday on my return from HH the generator was waiting for me and to my surprise the outer cardboard box was the original but being 45 years old the condition is not bad. Quickly opened it to find the generator in brand new condition and quite sure it’s never ever run.

IMG_2960.JPG IMG_2961.JPG IMG_2962.JPG

First thing I did when it out of the box was to pulled the cord to see if there was compression and there was sufficient resistance. :boast: Then I made detailed examination making notes of which nuts and bolts went where and how things were connected and how I could dismantle the generator without damaging anything. A quick 30 minute examination I stripped the entire generator to its bare bones and I am over the moon to find every single nut and bolt and component in brand new condition.

First task to remove the air filter to check condition

IMG_2980.JPG IMG_2978.JPG IMG_2979.JPG
    The filter foam filter was so old it crumbled into a million pieces and dust so I need to order a new one not a biggy but another sign this generator has original parts. Then I removed the rear cover to the generator and checked the spark plug to find oil in and the oil smelt really old. This is a concern for me as oil should not be there but with 40 years of sitting around in a box oil would have gradually entered the combustion chamber. The only other explanation would be the careful previous owner injected oil to keep the rings and the cylinder lubricated, either way it good to have oil on a old engine.I cleaned the plug with petrol and removed all traces of oil and checked the gap.

Next task remove all the covers and get it down to bare bones.

IMG_2990.JPG

A few pictures of the internal gubbins, in mint condition
    IMG_2965.JPG IMG_2967.JPG IMG_2968.JPG IMG_2969.JPG IMG_2971.JPG

I removed the carb to find dust and no gumming at all and no petrol ever entered in the cambers, clean all the jets and check the needle valve and float height all perfect as it brand new and put back together.Then a quick look at the CB pints which had corrosion on the contact which was quickly cleaned with emery paper and then gaped and timed to the timing mark.I didn't take any pictures as my hands were covered in carb cleaner and petrol.

The fuel tank removed to inspect the fuel taps fuel pipes.
    IMG_2989(1).JPG

Cleaned the fuel tank with fresh petrol and finished twice and then blow dried to find no corrosion in the tank whatsoever:Happy:

The naked generator laying bare.

IMG_2988(1).JPG

More to follow

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Good stuff CJ. Overall seems in pretty fine nick.

Amazing condition given it's age.

Ichiban likes this.
  5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Thanks mate the Generator is so tiny and so well made it's just magical. I have the original Owners manual,DC battery charging cord , Genuine tool kit and spare 45 year old NGK spark plug.
    IMG_2991.JPG IMG_2994.JPG IMG_2973.JPG IMG_2974.JPG

SpeedyGee likes this.
  6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Few more updates.With the everything on the generator checked and double checked I have put it back to together and it is ready for it start.

First to drain the 45 year old engine oil boy did it stink but its clear and clean and it done its job protecting the internal.

The old oil
    IMG_2982.JPG IMG_2983.JPG

Took a bottle of ZDDP to give this old girl the nutrients it requires as modern oils don't have these any more, The generator required 10w-30 so using my favorite oil, 290 ml does this generator.

IMG_2986.JPG IMG_2987.JPG

Fresh BP ultimate added with a lead substitute as I don't know enough if this generator as of yet to know if Honda had installed harden valve seats. You can see the Shell Millenium bottle in the background next to oil jar and funnel.
    IMG_2990.JPG

The generator fired up straight away and it smoked for 5 minutes and then settled down and it purrs like a kitten

Just need to clean up the Gennie and detail it and will post more pictures later. I have made a parts list of things I need to change and see if HH can source them

SCREW, PAN (5X8) 93500-05008-0A x2
    ELEMENT, AIR CLEANER 17211-836-000 x2
    32310-812-640 PLUG ASSY.. CONSENT x1
    93500-0501-00A x2

I have attached the owners manual US version and a parts list.

Attached Files:

Nighthawk likes this.
  7. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Good going CJ, you've taken care of her every need and she's repaid you by starting up straight away.

Would be good to see a video of her running :Smile:

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Thanks speedy here she is all cleaned and detailed. Sorry for the quality of the clip taken by my iPhone.