United Kingdom Jim Southampton
  2. Jbob Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Jbob updated Honda Elysion

View updates to this showcase item...

3. paulf Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Paul Rochester
    Hi jbob
    I am a new member. You have managed to fulfill my research of the last 6 months !
    I too was toying with the idea of importing from auction a 3.0L Elysion AND in white AND with a light interior. Not having done it before made me fearful of using any agents in UK or Japan. Your advise would be appreciated.
    Is the VCM engine as economical as they boast ?
    We have a local importer in Rochester ( County Cars ) who says its not possible to change the satnav and radio to UK spec. I will be watching to see if you are successful.
    Congratulations on owning a lovely car.

Regards Paul F

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    We have never had Honda cars VCM in Europe so can't say with cast iron guarantees,but knowing Honda the technology will work and will offer those advantages and fuel economy.

5. Jbob Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi @paulf

Welcome to hondakarma! My advice would be to stick to the well known auction sites and do thorough research. If you can take out insurance against shipping failure/damage then I'd definitely advise that too. The nice thing about the Japanese is that the vast majority of them are very honourable and trustworthy and certainly give me confidence when dealing with them.

I looked for months to find my white one, low miles and not a speck of dirt under the chassis or the engine bay. Don't let a 2004 model put you off as its all about the owner! As stated before they are very decent people and these motors weren't cheap to buy so most will have been well cared for and serviced on schedule, even though no service history tends to get passed on.

The engine is delicious! It's very fruity and communicative. Yes it isn't too bad to live with but its still a 3ltr V6 so anytime you accelerate its using all 6 cylinders so a long run is where you'll notice bigger gains. That said if you potter about its probably on a par with the 2.4ltr version! My other car is a V8 4.6ltr BMW and I can confirm the Honda is frugal in comparison!

The Sat nav is a problem. The clock is also linked and I haven't managed to manually set it. The DVD player is also the wrong region.. I haven't come across a unit that'll replace it yet but we'll see as I'm sure that if there's enough demand you never know!

Everywhere I go I'm turning heads, there's no doubt you feel special driving this and to be honest I far rather enjoy driving this then my BMW, in fact there's no contest. It's the perfect family car and absolutely love it! It's a shame your not after a blue one as I have a top spec VZ model with 60k miles to sell.

Hope this helps.

Jbob (not Knob..haha!)

:Smile:

legend-ary likes this.
  6. paulf Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

@Jbob Hi jbob. Who would you consider to be reputable auction rooms ? I have looked at various Japanese auctions where the car looks great on paper - exterior rated 4.0 or 4.5 and B interiors. mileage 20/30k kms etc but to part with thousands of pounds on the strength of that I find difficult.
    I have to say the sat nav/mileometer/clock change over has made me back off for a while.
    I am at the age now where I know whats on my wish list as great as your blue 'elysion' may be. I shall be watching your progress on the satnav etc with interest and many thanks for your replies......ps would be nice to see some pictures of your blue 'elysion' out of interest.
    Regards Paul

7. paulf Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi jbob
    Any luck with the sat nav and radio yet ?
    Have a great Christmas !

Paul

Jbob likes this.
  8. Jbob Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks @paulf!

Merry Xmas to you too!

I'm afraid no luck so far.. :-(

9. tino Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Martin Aberdeen
    Hi @Jbob - I'm a new Elysion owner looking into my options with the sat nav. Did you ever have any luck with your one?

10. Jbob Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hello, no joy I'm afraid :no:

11. paulf Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi jbob. I thought I would leave it a while before troubling you with questions again.
    I assume you have had no luck with the satnav/clock etc - that is probably the main thing that is holding me back. How is the 3 litre engine working out ? Does the VCM unit make the car economical ? How much for insurance and car tax ? Any other problems ?
    Hope you are keeping well........Paul

12. Jbob Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi @paulf,

No I'm afraid no luck with sat nav. The VCM engine is seemingly faultless and smooth. Kickdown is rapid and surprisingly quick for such a heavy car. I'm not one to bother about MPG figures, I've always had fast and thirsty cars but it's not too bad. Obviously if you drive like Mrs Daisy it keeps it in the 'Eco' mode and is quite easy to do on the motorway. However any time the accelerator is pressed it switches to the full V6 so pottering about it doesn't really get a chance to make any noticeable difference from any other 3ltr motor.

Insurance wise it's best to go with a company like Adrian Flux who specifically insure Jap imports as many companies don't want to know. It's approx £500 fully comp for me. Road tax is good however, it's about £285 for a year as it's an import, regardless of engine size or emissions.

I'd recommend it. As long as you have somewhere to take it to if anything should go wrong!

The compliments keep on coming and the looks of 'wow what is that?' happen every journey, something that I never get bored of!

Regards,

Jbob (not 'Knob') lol!

legend-ary likes this.
  13. Adrian Flux Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Dan Norfolk
    Hi,
    If anyone does need any help with insurance at all then please feel free to drop me a line.
    Regards,
    Dan.

14. paulf Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi again jbob......Still lookin ! In an ideal world I would like your car with panoramic/sun roof heated seats, centre consul . I have phoned a few sat nav agents but with no success.
    Hope you are well
    paulf