Engine & Gearbox honda ep2 valve lash

Discussion in '7th Generation (2001-2005)' started by sam-ep2-04, Thursday 24th Sep, 2015.

1. sam-ep2-04 New Member Getting Started

United Kingdom sam bangor
    hi so im new to the form and looking for abit if help with my ep2, i bought it about 6 months ago now and since I've bought it I've thought the valve gap was out because the engine seemed very tappy so i had a friend who works at mazda adjust the valve gap down to spec for me as i dident have the tools at the time he told me a few of the gaps were too tight and a few were lose so he put them all to spec now the car sounds the same if not abit worse its sounds fine when cold but when it warms up it sounds like a sewing machine, so im just wondering is anyone on here has some advice about what i can do to try get it sorted any help would me much appreciated. thanks sam

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    If it sounds worse after doing valve clearances then most likely that either the clearances were done incorrectly or the wrong specs were used.

Was the engine stone cold when clearances were done ?

3. 2.4 8thGen Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Brett Bristol
    As Speedy said was the check done on a cold engine.
    Honda recommend it is checked under 38C
    Petrol engines has got a slight tappy noise though but is normally the injectors around the intake manifold

4. sam-ep2-04 New Member Getting Started

yea he seemed to know what he was doing said to me he was going to let it cool overnight i might get myself a feeler gauge and check them myself tho, need to get the rocker cover off anyway as the gaskets leaking don't think its the injectors well to loud to be that, the car dose have a lot of miles on 151000 don't know if that would make any difference was thinking of putting some thicker oil in it see if that made a difference according to the last service its got 5/30 in it which is what its had in it since new from the Honda garage

5. 2.4 8thGen Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Sam can you post a video up of the sound so members can hear and help diagnose what it is.

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Yup that will help.

7. sam-ep2-04 New Member Getting Started

yeah i can do that give me half hour ill go do it now

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  9. 2.4 8thGen Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Great stuff sam

10. sam-ep2-04 New Member Getting Started

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Fook me that sound like a diesel. have you taken off the oil filler to see you have white gunk! The oil leaks around the head area are a major concern! where is that oil coming from it may have contaminated the timing belt and there is a bearing sound which is shot which can be the aux belt tensioner , alternator bearings or timing belt tensioner or water pump.

If I were you I will stop revving this engine or driving it pending the full strip of the cam belt area and find the root cause.

12. sam-ep2-04 New Member Getting Started

really you recon its that bad had the cam belt done in the garage im doing my apprenticeship at tbh that's the worst I've herd it once its warmed up it dosent make that noise when you rev it as for the oil its coming from the rocker cover gasket i think. don't know what to do now the mate i had do the valve gap said not to worrie about it and he is the main mechanic in the mazda garage round here so god knows now

13. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Mate is that oil getting on that timing belt then you are waiting on a time bomb, was that timing belt replaced correctly was the water pump checks all the pulleys and tensioners ?

That sound does sound something is abbot to go and soon and catastrophically.

14. sam-ep2-04 New Member Getting Started

yeah the boss in my garrage did it for me so i hope hes done it right, changed the belt, water pump and the tensioners. as for oil getting on the belt im gonna have to have a look tomorrow the gasket was leaking when i got the car and when i changed the belt there wasent any oil contamination on the old one so i hope its the same for the new belt. i hope it isn't gonna go bang will be the sencond car now that I've bought with a trashed engine

15. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Fingers crossed mate I hope its a alternator bearing or a aux belt tensioner and its a simple fix.

Get that oil leak fixed so you can make a better assessment.

16. sam-ep2-04 New Member Getting Started

you think that noise when you rev it could be just and alternator bearing or a tensioner because it sounds like its comeing from the left side of the engine inside the rocker cover i recon

17. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    can't say mate , you need to get the aux belt off and run the car briefly to see if that noise persists. if it does then you know it an issue with valve train if it doesn't then you know it the one of the pulleys.