Bulletins & Advisories Honda FCEV will be launched in Europe in early 2017

Discussion in 'Honda FCV' started by Ichiban, Wednesday 9th Apr, 2014.

1. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    We all know Honda has been a pioneer in fuel cell cars and Hydrogen cars and with the successful trials of the FCX Clarity in the states and Japan, its time for Europe to have a piece of the action.

Swindon already has a hydrogen refilling station and with the announcement the FCEV ( Fuel Cell-Electric Vehicle) will be coming, Honda and other manufacturers are taking the bold steps to make the hydrogen infrastructure a reality in Europe.

This is a press statement issues by Honda Europe

Honda and other leading motor manufacturers, hydrogen fuel suppliers and energy consultancies from around the globe met in London this week to sign a €38.4m (£31m) agreement coordinated by the Mayor of London’s Office, to develop and demonstrate technology and infrastructure that will help fuel cell electric vehicles to become a viable and environmentally friendly option for European motorists in the future.The pioneering deal, known as the HyFIVE project (Hydrogen For Innovative Vehicles), is the largest of its kind in Europe. Honda is one of five manufacturers who have agreed to deploy a total of 110 hydrogen fuel cell vehicles at several European locations and develop new clusters of hydrogen refuelling stations.

The motor manufacturers who are part of this project are working on developing and demonstrating hydrogen powered fuel cell cars. This cutting edge technology uses hydrogen gas combined with oxygen from the atomosphere to generate electric power with no harmful tailpipe emissions – only water vapour. They have the potential to be more than twice as fuel-efficient as conventionally powered vehicles and operate very quietly. The technology allows for rapid re-fuelling times and the potential to cover over 600km (400 miles) before needing to be re-fuelled.

The potential for fuel cell electric vehicles to become widely available is now seen as increasingly likely as the cost of the technology is reducing and infrastructure is being improved.

For Honda, the HyFIVE project is a unique opportunity to showcase the advancements that Honda has made relating to fuel cell technology and fuel cell electric vehicle development.

Honda has been leading the development and deployment of fuel-cell technology for almost two decades and has undertaken extensive real world testing, making significant advancements in fuel-cell operation and working to meet stringent emissions and safety regulations.

Honda’s next generation FCEV will be launched in Europe in early 2016. It follows the FCX Clarity which was launched in 2008 and is currently running in the German Demonstration Project: Clean Energy Partnership since 3 years. This participation allowed Honda to gain valuable information in order to further improve and develop its technology.

Bert De Colvenaer, Executive Director of the FCH JU (Fuel Cells and Hydrogen Joint Undertaking), said: “With a total of 110 FCEVs and 6 new refuelling stations, HyFIVE will represent the largest single project of its kind financed by the FCH JU. The high level of technology readiness of this zero emission transport technology will be showcased in 5 European Member States, thus ensuring a broad geographical outreach. In addition, the project will also contribute to the build-up of the first networks at local levels necessary to support the market introduction of the vehicles in the coming years. With the participation of leading automakers and infrastructure providers, HyFIVE illustrates the commitment from leading industrial players in the EU and the spirit of cooperation that I am convinced will enable the success of these technologies.“

Honda’s Fuel Cell Vehicles Key Fuel Cell Milestones:

FCX becomes the first EPA- and CARB-certified fuel-cell vehicle

FCX becomes the world’s first production fuel-cell vehicle, introduced to the U.S. and Japan

FCX becomes the first fuel-cell vehicle to start and operate in sub-freezing temperatures

FCX becomes the first fuel-cell vehicle leased to an individual customer

Honda becomes the first manufacturer to build and produce a dedicated fuel-cell vehicle on a dedicated production line.

Honda becomes the first manufacturer to create a fuel-cell vehicle dealer network

FCEV Concept Vehicle:

- Exciting, modern styling

• sweeping character lines
    • ultra- aerodynamic body
    • seating for five passengers
    - Efficiently packaged powertrain

• fuel cell housed completely in the engine room (world first)
    - Significant technological advancements
    • improved fuel-cell stack delivering more than 100kW of power output
    • power density of 3kW/L (an increase of 60%)
    • stack size reduced by 33% compared to the FCX Clarity
    • anticipated driving range of approx 700km in Japanese JC-08 mode
    • quick refuelling time of around three minutes at 70 MPa
    HyFIVE Project Information

Vehicle manufacturers:
    • BMW
    • Daimler
    • Honda
    • Hyundai
    • Toyota
    Hydrogen fuel companies including:
    • Air Products
    • Copenhagen Hydrogen Network
    • ITM Power
    • Linde
    • OMV
    Other signatories:
    • Element Energy
    • PE International
    • Institute for Innovative Technology
    • European Fuel Cell and Hydrogen Joint Undertaking (FCH JU)
    Locations for deployment of hydrogen fuel cell vehicles:
    • Bolzano
    • Copenhagen
    • Innsbruck
    • London
    • Munich
    • Stuttgart

Locations for HyFIVE hydrogen filling stations:
    • Denmark
    • Austria
    • London
    HK_FCEV_Concept (9). HK_FCEV_Concept (8). HK_FCEV_Concept (7). HK_FCEV_Concept (6). HK_FCEV_Concept (5). HK_FCEV_Concept (4). HK_FCEV_Concept (4). HK_FCEV_Concept (2). HK_FCEV_Concept (1). HK_FCEV_Concept (3). HK_FCEV_Concept.
  2. vzh7gk Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Graham Cheltenham
    It annoys me when they call this zero emissions technology. Like plug in EVs, it isn't, it just moves the emissions to another location.
    The big question? What is the energy / emissions cost of producing the hydrogen? I well remember Arne, Governor of California on the campaign trail being driven around in a Hummer. When queried about emissions in a TV interview he said it ran on hydrogen. At that time producing that hydrogen cost, environmentally, 1.5 - 2 times that of just burning the petrol in the first place...
    So, interesting technology, but this 'green' idea must be taken holistically, and that just hasn't been happening...
    The Swindon plant has a hydrogen refuelling point, so I would only have to drive 30 something miles for a fill! :Smile: :Smile:
  3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Fuel cell car are not like plug in EV's in they are two septate vehicles. Offsets made by Hydrogen are viable and tangible.
  4. vzh7gk Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Graham Cheltenham
    They're being discussed on another forum at the moment too. The following came from a fellow Mog owner and ex-chemist (not your high street Boots type chemist...):

"... unless you have almost limitless free electrical energy it costs more to produce hydrogen than you get back in chemical energy.
    The other big issue is the hardware necessary to store and distribute it as a liquefied gas under very high pressure. We are talking about a major upgrade from lpg tanks here. The pressure required is much higher so vessels need to be stronger (and heavier). This will affect vehicle weights , but also need a very highly modified storage and distribution system.

The other issue that few seem to appreciate is winter driving. The only waste product from buying hydrogen is water, which is of course quoted as a good thing. In warmer climates this is dispersed as water vapour , so little effect should be noticed , except perhaps in the humidity around urban areas.
    However in colder climates the water vapour will form a dense white cloud from the exhaust pipe. Tests in the Finnish winter with a hydrogen powered BMW produced such a dense cloud that the vehicles following the test car had to stop as they had highly restricted visibility. If you tried to condense this you would need a large storage for the water on each vehicle , not very practical.

So in essence you are right Graham , it may be a part of the solution , rather than the whole answer."

I didn't even think about the cold weather problem - I'm sure Boris would appreciate a city full of fog in winter.
    Plus, I wish I could find the article now, but large quantities of water vapour in the air hold in heat more than CO2 - making global warming even worse...
    Wonder if the condensor on our tumble drier would help??? Emptying to the road would keep the dust down...
  5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  6. vzh7gk Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Graham Cheltenham
    I've seen the announcement re: collaboration on the hydrogen supply points - it's what triggered discussion on t'other forum. And, don't get me wrong, I'm all for research into alternatives to petro-chemicals, a very finite resource.
    Back in 2008 Morgan were collaborating with Qinetiq and others to develop the "Life car" - hydrogen fuel cell technology. There is still a little info on their website about it (mostly under History). And I mentioned above (I think) about the solar PV on Honda's Swindon factory. I have them at home - fitted 18 months ago, it will be interesting to see how long the system lasts - hopefully long enough to actually provide some return on my "investment". The main reason for me fitting them was to reduce the amount I was paying to the electricity company, particularly as :swmbo: was about to retire. I do not regard them as being 'green' - some of the materials used in the panels, plus all the electronics and the energy used in manufacture mean there is environmental cost with them (just like those blots on the landscape - wind turbines).
    I will be watching the FCX and fuel cell technology with interest, but what bugs me is the idea being perpetrated that this (like hybrid technology in the past - remember some of Toyota's Pious advertisements and Mitsubishi presently with the Outlander PHEV) is the answer to climate change. In large part Government policy is as much to blame, particularly with the way they commission research. It's going to take a lot more than just tackling vehicle exhaust emissions! :Smile:
    I'm just playing Devil's Advocate!
  7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    A seismic change in anything we do today is always hard to agree with and adapt. It all boils down to how willing and receptive people are to idea of change.
  8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Nels likes this.