Official Honda Honda Formula One Engine Development Interview

Discussion in 'News Feeds' started by Honda World News, Tuesday 18th Feb, 2014.

1. Honda World News Auto-Generated News Feed

Honda has released on video an interview with Yasuhisa Arai, Senior Managing Officer and Director, Honda R&D Co.,Ltd., on the progress of Honda's Formula One engine development.

More...

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I can say Honda will be watching this season with great interest and McLaren will pump data to Honda from the Mercedes engine performance.

Not that Honda will need it but it will serve as their guide for refining their engines for 2015.

From the interview its clear to see a lot of confidence in the Honda camp.:Thumbup:

3. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    Because McLaren are moving to Honda in 2015 Merc have now given McLaren 'customer' status. McLaren have lost all of the technical privileges which Merc used to give them which were far and above what would usually be given for a customer when you also have the manufacturers own team competing. Merc won't even let McLaren crack the seals on the engines any more and they certainly aren't allowed to let any Honda employee near the engine or at the software. McLaren have signed a confidentiality agreement with Merc that they won't divulge any technical data to Honda in preparation for their return in 2015, which McLaren have said they will honour, or Merc could withdraw their engines.

Over the current year Honda will obtain publicity info and photos which they can obviously draw inspiration from plus they will also have an extra year to develop the engine so there's no reason why they won't be on the ball come 2015 anyway. There may be a few reliability issues initially as the other teams are currently having but Honda will have longer to develop the chassis with McLaren for the 2015 season than current engine suppliers had for the up coming season so these should be limited.

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds

Mate I am aware of Honda coming to the F1 scene in 2015 and I am aware of the confidential agreements despite on the customer engine.. After 2014 season is over there is nothing stopping McLaren to hand over the entire season Telemetry and Data Analysis to Honda you have everything you need there!!. I know how proud Honda are they won't even want to see the internals of the Mercedes engine let alone touch it . Personally Honda way ahead of the curve on the hybrid KERS package McLaren have a lot experience in this field too

This Telemetry data can come in handy for the pre season testing at Spain 2015 :Wink:

5. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    Obviously Honda will already be locked in with their design after a years worth of testing, but yes the telemetry will definitely give up a few technical secrets about the Mercs performance. But I'm still not sure how much of the data Merc will demand back come the end of the year. McLaren won't be able to share any of the data over the course of the season with Honda so likewise Merc won't let them walk away with it all come the end of the year either and then hand it over. As a 'customer' all the telemetry generated and gathered by McLaren during testing and the races over the year to do with the engines performance will likely be owned by Merc and will have to be handed back. McLaren will most likely only retain the information to do with the cars set up and driver inputs.

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Anyone seen this before?

DeviateDefiant and SpeedyGee like this.
  7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Sorry I forgot to post this clip on our YouTube Account "Why Honda is coming back to F1 in 2015"

Enjoy

AndyB1976 likes this.