Honda FR-V 2.2 CDTi Serpentine Drive belt upgrade

Discussion in 'Project & Modification Logs' started by jivetalkin, Friday 29th Jul, 2016.

1. jivetalkin Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom John Sheffield
    So. Heard a bit about the noisy bearing issue in Civic/CR-V/Prelude forums where the alternator bearings have excessive load caused by the routing of the grooved drive belt. My FR-V makes a right old racket, at 160,000 miles I expect a few issues but thought I'd have a go at this modification, but never heard anyone do it to an FR-V....

Did a bit of surfing and seems to be a par-for-the-course to upgrade to this shortened belt kit when changing the drive belt as I am driving to Scotland next week and my belt looks like the attached pic, a bit cracked..
    DSC_5600[1].JPG

Rang up my local Honda dealer and asked if this upgrade kit was a generic kit for all CDTi engines and indeed it was certainly for my generation engine anyway. So for exactly £50, you get a shorter belt and a nice picture of what to do :Smile:
    DSC_5606[1].JPG
    Part number for the kit folks is 04301-RBD-305 or just the belt 38920-RBD-E03. The kit is far better though, cos you get a picture............

So, with Sara needing the FR-V for a day trip tomorrow, I thought there was no better time that getting stuck in at 7:00pm on a wet Friday. Having shifted the power steeing reservoir to one side and removing and moving out of the way the coolant reservoir (no pipes removed at all) access was improved significantly. Best to tie wrap the PS reservoir to something as the damn thing kept flicking back in the way Grrrrr.
    Using a 14mm Spanner with a pair of mole grips attached to the jaw end for leverage (best thing I could think of!) I moved the Belt adjuster towards the front of the engine and slipped it off the top pulley. Realising I couldn't easily access the lower pulleys, I jacked up at the front (centre jack point) removed O/S/F wheel and flicked off the belt at the bottom and pulled through the hole.
    Realising I now had a car with no drive belt and limited access, I panicked slightly, especially as the wife said, 'John I hope you're not messing with the car, I'm out all day tomorrow!!!'
    So to follow the instruction, I used the same 14mm spanner and mole grip arrangement to free the no longer needed idler pulley, this required serious force to begin, then when loose was easily removed with fingers, careful as quite a few parts come off it
    DSC_5603[1].JPG
    I needn't have worried to much about the next bit as it turned out surprisingly easy.
    I fed the significantly shorter belt through the bottom around both lower pulleys (main and aircon), then at the top end fed round the alternator and tensioner. Whilst setting up my mole grip/spanner tool the belt fell back a bit so had to do again, in fairness an assistant would have been a good idea! So got all in place, pulled the tensioner all the way forard to the front of the engine, slipped (with a bit of persuasion) the belt over the top pulley and released the tensioner back. Surely it couldn't be that simple.... Errr yes it was!!
    DSC_5604[1].JPG
    Final test, a visual check top and bottom, all looks good, a couple of short cranks of the key and re-check, all good. Fired up, ticked over for a minute, no flying shards/belts and significantly quieter bearings, how curious.....
    THE BEST BIT... Honda wanted £220 (inc parts) for this job. My local garage £95 (inc parts) took me just.... Wait for it.....
    35 minutes!!!!!!
    Happy days :Smile:

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Another fab job John :Thumbup:

3. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Nice work!

Also a good idea on pre-facelift 7th Generation I-CTDI Accords.

4. NottsBiker Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Ben Nottingham
    When I did my serpentine belt I was amazed how easy it was to do with nothing more than a spanner.

No one should be put off by this job it's mega easy :Smile:

5. jivetalkin Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

You see I put Prelude, and meant Accord. Had a 90's moment in my post.....

6. NottsBiker Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Ben Nottingham
    Never forget the 'lude :Wink:

7. jivetalkin Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yeah but not with a diesel engine urgh. Still regret not buying a Jordan Civic in 2008 for £2000 :Frown:

8. NottsBiker Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Ben Nottingham
    Bummer

Had x2 ek4's so know what awesome fun they are :Smile:

9. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    For those doing this mod to a pre-facelift diesel Accord, Gates belts are available for just over £10 (universal belt identification 7PK1785), but other models could require a different belt length due to alternative power steering types?
    V-Ribbed Belts GATES 7PK1785 - Belt

legend-ary likes this.
  10. chris2982 Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Chris Rowlands Gill
    Wondering if this is something worth me doing to mine..

11. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    It might save your alternator bearings? Although I didn't modify mine until 150k miles and the alternator seems fine (I had to take the belt off while doing another repair, so it was convenient at that time).

I wouldn't describe it as a particularly straightforward job on the Accord unless you have the correct tool for operating the tensioner (maybe a bit less room than on a FR-V?). You can improvise using a 14mm ring spanner and interlocking it into something else (as described previously) or I cranked some 22mm pipework to slide over the ring spanner, ensuring that it cleared projecting items on the way up. The tensioner is surprisingly powerful!

12. chris2982 Premium Member Club Supporter

I was advised to replace the aux belt from honda due to he age of the car even though it less than 40k on it..
    Suppose if it's got to be changed may as well do it this way

13. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    I agree.
    I can recommend that cheap Gates belt that I linked a few posts ago. And I've also used that seller for the OEM (Bosch) fuel filters... the cheapest I've seen!

chris2982 likes this.
  14. jivetalkin Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Molegrips and 14mm open ring did it for me but I agree you need some leverage it has power that there tensioner.

Zebster likes this.
  15. NottsBiker Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Ben Nottingham
    It's tough but easy

Definitely not a garage / dealer job :Smile:

16. chris2982 Premium Member Club Supporter

Sorry if a silly question but would that be the same belt for my FR-V??

17. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
  18. chris2982 Premium Member Club Supporter

19. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
    Nice job John :Thumbup: Great guide.

On the list for me to now.