Service & Maintenance Honda FR-V 2.2 i-CTDi with 165k miles

Discussion in '1st Generation (2004-2011)' started by Bugsy, Thursday 3rd Sep, 2015.

1. Bugsy Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Anny Accrington
    Honda FR-V 2.2 I-CTDI with 160k miles.
    How reliable are they?
    What should I look out for?

Last edited by a moderator: Thursday 3rd Sep, 2015
  2. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Welcome to HK @Bugsy
    It's customary to tell us a little about yourself and your Honda in the 'Introduce Yourself' section.

I am a little confused about this thread. You appear to be asking about reliability and what to look out for, but you've set it up as a poll?

I have therefore edited it. If this is not what you intended, please let me know.

Also, please add your FR-V to the Club Garage as this helps up help you.

3. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    @Nels, maybe it was meant to be an Introduction ?

4. DieselPower Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Read through the many posts under accord 7th Generation ICTDI on this forum and you will get a good idea of what to look for (same engine).

At that mileage you could be incredibly fortunate to buy a car thats already encountered and fixed all the big issues such as clutch/DMF and timing chains.

Take someone who knows these engines with you when viewing the car.
    I would also look for little things like good tyres and discs that haven't got huge crusts round them, this proves that the person doesn't mind spending on the car.

5. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Timing chains - odd metallic chafing/rubbing noise when hot and idling
    Cracked exhaust manifold - smoke emitted, but often only when cold or under load.
    Slipping clutch - may only be noticeable going uphill in high gear at full throttle

These are the big issues with this engine, but may not be obvious to a casual check. Best to seek positive confirmation that these have either been replaced, or are proven to be OK.

Being a Honda, there are unlikely to be any other expensive problems!

6. Bugsy Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi thanks for the reply the clutch has not been changed as far as I'm aware there is no reciepts to say it's been done? It seems to drive fine good biting point and no flywheel rattle when I press clutch down halfway. I'm hoping it has been changed at some point as it's on 160k miles

7. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    I'm still on the original clutch at 165k miles! But it does go through spells of slipping while the pressure plate self-adjuster plays catch-up, so I'm guessing it's at the end of its life.

8. Bugsy Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Will I need to change the dual mass flywheel when I change the clutch? Or leave it as it makes no noise etc?

9. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Probably, at the mileage. But the free play can be assessed during the clutch replacement and, if over 36mm, it definitely needs replacing.

10. Bugsy Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ok thanks for the reply I just drove it to the valeters and it seems to drive fine good pick up not as nippy as the ford galaxy it has replaced but then again the 1.9pd tdi vag engine feel quicker than they are. But for the time being I'm just getting used to the handbrake and driving position with both my kids in front hopefully I shall get some detailing done myself in the next few weeks and give it a full service and MOT in November apart from that don't know what else I could do to the FR-V as it's a very nice car to begin with

11. DieselPower Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Congrats on the new car! You've bought it now so just service her and don't get paranoid about this or that possible issue! Just enjoy it!

Regarding the PD engines, do they not have a very narrow power band that was delivered in one big brutish german kick. This engine is more refined so it could just be that it feels different.

Once you've changed the oil (0w30)/oil filter/fuel filter (both must be genuine honda!) I would add 600ml of 2 stroke mineral oil (not full synthetic ) to a full tank and then stretch her legs on the autobahn, that should blow off any cobwebs caused by city driving.

12. Bugsy Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks yeah the pd engines do have a narrow power band just used to the way the vag engines run but the FR-V is more civilised to drive in might get a remap done after I had it serviced and checked clutch flywheel etc

13. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

I can't comment on the N22 engine but my 2.0 petrol FR-V is plenty nippy enough I've found, quite happy with it.

14. Bugsy Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I did view a 2.0liter vtech 150bhp model but I do a lot of miles so opted for the 2.2cdti at the end

15. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

That's an understandable choice then. I have the advantage of being a LPG guru, so my FR-V is now running on the green stuff. Should be giving me better cost equivalent MPG than a diesel would.

Auto Ali likes this.
  16. Bugsy Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

That's good I'm just looking on ebay for clutch and dual mass flywheel if I find a cheap 1 I will buy it and put it away until I need to change mine iv seen some for £550 plus and others for £295 so a bit confused

17. chunkymonkey Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Gary Lincs
    Look at cox Honda view do a full kit including flywheel for about the same cost but they are original parts and you get the gearbox oil included which requires draining and re filling, the clutch needs pre loading which requires a special tool and must be done otherwise it will not work properly. I have just had mine replaced on my CR-V, done by the main dealer on a price match all in it was 900 quid and included the flywheel

18. DieselPower Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

If you get the car mapped, a standard clutch might not last long. Also consider IMO the FR-V's handling and braking are barely up to the job at standard power.

19. Bugsy Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi everyone just changed the oil and oil filter on my FR-V 2.2 cdti drives fine just noticed a lot off white smoke come out the exhaust while I was waiting on traffic lights no dash lights on full power there checked oil and water level it's all normal got me a bit worries now please can some shed some light on this problem it's done 160k many thanks in advance

20. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Probably condensation. Unburnt diesel present in the exhaust will (oddly) also appear as white smoke, but if it's running OK then this is very unlikely.