Electrical & Lights Honda FR-V Indicators Faulty

Discussion in '1st Generation (2004-2011)' started by stanX, Thursday 11th Jul, 2013.

1. stanX New Member Getting Started

I have an 06 plate Diesel. The indicator has become faulty. Initially the drivers side indicator was just stuck on at all time, now the offside is flashing continually. Any ideas? All the bulbs are working, and pressing the hazard lights just causes the flashing to stop but doesn't leave the indicators working! There doesn't appear to be a fuse for the indicators, only the hazard lights.

Cheers,

stanX

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    That is a strange one indeed. does your car alarm work?

3. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Any work done on the car recently ?

If not then it maybe an alarm module or indicator relay issue. Or perhaps some wiring damage somewhere.

4. Tyler Durden Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I also had this problem on my 06 FR-V and eventually narrowed the issue down to a pair of micor relays in the Integrated Control unit which is found on the back of the fuse board under the dash on the drivers side.

It took me a while but I found suitable replacement relays and had a local auto electrical place solder them in place of the faulty ones.

FYI Honda wants upwards of £350 for a replacement integrated control unit!

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    FR-V does not use multiplex like other Honda cars so they are right once you get electrical gremlins the control unit take the brunt.

6. stanX New Member Getting Started

Thats definitely the solution for me, thanks for responding. I'm getting pretty fed up sticking my arm out, especially in the rain. How on earth did you get at the Integrated Control Unit? I can't find any guidance on removing it, and it doesn't seem obviously accessible. I'm off to try and find a workshop manual but any tips would be greatly appreciated.

7. Tyler Durden Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

The ICU is a pain to get to, essentially you need to locate the fuse box under the drivers side of the dashboard. Once you have that you need to reach above that a pull out a multipin connector. Once this is out you need to pull hard on one side of the ICU to get it to unclip, you can also try to feel for the clips and prize one of them away from their catches to get it out.

This image shows the connector that plugs into the box into the back of the fuse board under the drivers side.

IMAG0014_1.
    This one shows the socket which connects to another plug within the car's wiring.

IMAG0016_1.

Also, this is the relay that I bought to replace the faulty one.

Buy Non-Latching Relays Micro ISO plugin relay,SPDT, 35A 12Vdc Panasonic CM112 online from RS for next day delivery.

Be aware that this is not a direct replacement and will not fit in the board, but needs to be wired in and then glued somewhere suitable. I didn't tackle this myself, leaving it up to my local auto electrician. StixxAuto

Last edited by a moderator: Thursday 15th Aug, 2013
  8. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Great info Tyler, thanks for posting.

I've changed your dropbox links to hosted pictures, this make for better browsing experience.

9. Oakey01 New Member Getting Started

Hi guys just joined as I have now got this problem on my FR-V!

I've read about the fuses on the back of the icu and was wondering if I could get that black modle off without taking the icu out?

My drivers side indicators are not working but when you press the stork you can hear a click but no relay working! I was going to try a new relay first!

10. stuart64 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

stuart64 uk
    Hey, this is waht happenend to mine which I managedto fix. You do need to get the black box out of the back of the fuse board.

The ICU is in the sealed black box, so no access until you get it out.

It's quite easy to remove, with some patience but I'd recommend to get the part from a scrapped FR-V first, the switch them.

You can still fix the broken one, keep as a spare or sell.

11. laurentjanot Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Laurent Slough
    Hi guys,

I have an 06 FR-V with the same issue stuart64 had, i.e right indicator stuck on. After following this thread and this other one (Electrical & Lights - Honda FR-V Indicators Faulty.), I asked a mechanic to remove the ICU for me (I tend to break a lot of things) and I managed to identify the faulty relay. It was one of the G8N-1F seen on the photo posted by @DieselPower above.

To identify the faulty relay, look at the following spec sheets:
    http://www.components.omron.com/com...86237ECF85257201007DD4EE/$file/G8N-1_0607.pdf
    http://www.components.omron.com/com...79A98C98625730D006C6B13/$file/G8ND-2_0607.pdf

You can test the 3 relays with a multimeter on continuity mode.

For the small G8N-1F, test continuity between terminals 1 & 4, then 1 & 3. You should have continuity in only 1 case. If you have continuity in both cases or none at all, then your relay is faulty and needs replacing. My faulty G8N-1F had continuity between 1 & 4 and 1 & 3 at the same time.
    G8N-1.
    You can also use a small 9V battery with wires and an extra pair of hands or small clips to connect it between terminals 2 & 5 to power up the coil. With a good relay, the continuity should switch between 1 & 4 to 1 & 3 or the other way.

For the small G8ND-2 it seems more complex but it is not. It is kind of 2 relays built into 1 casing. Test continuity between 1 & 2 then 1 & 3 and confirm positive test in only 1 case. Do the same between 4 & 2 then 4 & 3.
    G8ND-2.
    Test that the relay switches when connecting the 9V battery to the coil 7 & 8 (continuity should switch between 1 & 2 to 1 & 3 or vice versa), then 5 & 6 (continuity should switch between 4 & 2 to 4 & 3 or vice versa).

To replace a relay, you will need a soldering iron and desoldering pump. Be very careful when desoldering as it is easy to damage the circuit board. To remove the relay from the board, use a pair of appliers and carefully pull out. Fit the new relay, solder it and it should be good.

I could not find the same original G8N-1F so I had to settle with a standard G8N-1 that has a higher coil resistance and solder a 270Ω resistor in parrallel to "bring down the coil resistance" close to the original 130Ω. There is a good chance your new relay will not work properly if you do not have a similar coil resistance.

A big thank you to everyone who posted on this thread and the other one mentioned earlier. I could not find a second hand ICU and a new one from Honda would have cost me a fortune.

Laurent

Hf4n, DeviateDefiant and Ichiban like this.
  12. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Fantastic info @laurentjanot ! and that too on your very first post :Smile:

A very warm welcome to Honda Karma Laurent :Hey:

laurentjanot likes this.
  13. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Plus one well done bud awesome.:GoodJob:

laurentjanot likes this.
  14. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Just for additional info. The first relay is known as a SPDT (Single Pole Double Throw) relay and the second relay is known as a DPDT (Double Pole Double Throw) relay.
    - - - Updated - - -
    @laurentjanot please do drop by the "Introduce yourself" section and say a few words about yourself and your car, cheers.

laurentjanot likes this.
  15. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    laurentjanot and Ichiban like this.
  16. stuart64 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

stuart64 uk
    Hey

So I got a new ICU box fitted and worked well.

Today the indicators don;t work at all and the central locking isn't working either.

I still have the old box.

Is the central locking connected to a relay aswell?

If so, if the central locking relay has failed could that stop the other relay working?

I'm thinking I could possibly remove the flasher relay from one and put on the original ICU.

Can't believe this has happened...

:Frown:

17. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Are you sure everything got plugged back in OK Stuart ?