Engine & Gearbox Honda FR-V timing belt

Discussion in '1st Generation (2004-2011)' started by Billjg, Friday 4th Oct, 2013.

1. Billjg New Member Getting Started

Hi, my Honda FR-V is now due it's first timing belt change, 75k. I have spoken to several dealerships and they have all said that just the belt needs changing. Speaking to a couple of local garages they have all said change the whole kit including water pump? Who is correct? Why would Honda only change the belt if it is wise to change the whole kit & pump?

Thanks!
    B

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    On some cars just getting to the belt is an immense job. So if you've paid all that labour you may as well pay for a new pump to be put it at the same time.

On a Honda though, it's not that big of a job. Also water pumps rarely go on Honda that has only covered 75K. So this time round if I were you I would leave the water pump. If you still have the car at 150K, then change it then.

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hi B,

Welcome to AOC :Hey:

When you say you have rung these dealership was anyone of them a Honda dealer by any chance?:Blink: If they were please send me a PM with their names. Don't use them even to pump your car tyres, if they were independent well stay clear from those cowboys :Angry:

Your 1.8 FR-V petrol engine has a timing chain and not a belt. Timing chain are maintenance free and do not need replacing unless they have been stretched by poor maintenance.No need to check the water punp either they are bomb proof. Just stick to your recommended servicing schedule using genuine parts.

This is what your timing chain looks like.

E__1102.

4. Billjg New Member Getting Started

Thanks, but mine is a 1.7 petrol which is a belt. I spoke to Honda dealerships who all said just the belt needs changing, though they would check the tensioners and pump for leaks. The local mechanics I spoke to all recommended changing the full kit.

B

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    ahh well learn something new every day then.

6. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Personally it's your choice I changed everything on my Civic at 150k miles and the water pump that came off was in the same condition as the new one that went one same applies to the idler and tensioner.

7. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Dave, at the 150K mark, it's almost a given that everything should be changed.

Bill, what did you decide in the end ?

8. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I changed everything what I'm saying is the parts removed where in no different condition to the new genuine parts fitted. Not like vauxhalls where water pumps are knackered at 30k lol

9. Billjg New Member Getting Started

Just had he belt changed in the end. There must be so many Honda owners who get their services at dealers who just have the belt changed, surely if the timing belt failed afterwards Honda wouldn't have such a good reliability record??

10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Good stuff I may have to put some 1.7 info for FR-V owners I genuinely didn't know a 1.7 petrol engine existed.

How much did it set you back by?

11. Billjg New Member Getting Started

£190 for belt only inc. VAT.