In-Depth Honda "Hand Free Telephone" (HFT) User Guide

Discussion in 'Technical Articles' started by Ichiban, Friday 30th Dec, 2011.

1. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    HFT uses Bluetooth technology to communicate with your handset and enables wire-free interaction between car and phone, subject to your phones compatibility with the system.

HFT buttons.

The Hands Free Telephone (HFT) is controlled by two buttons mounted on the steering wheel (as shown above). Firstly you need to pair your (Bluetooth) handset with the car.

Pairing your phone
    1. Firstly, switch the Bluetooth function on your phone to ‘on’ and find your phone’s menu that will enable you to search for a new Bluetooth device, as you will need to operate this at a later stage.

2. Press and release the HFT ‘talk’ button on the steering wheel and after the beep say ‘Phone set-up’.
    3. You will be offered five options; status, pair, edit, delete and list.

4. Press the HFT ‘talk’ button and say ‘Pair’. The system will then ask you to state a four digit pass code for pairing.

5. Press the HFT ‘talk’ button and quote a pass code, e.g. ‘1,2,3,4’.

6. The phone will then repeat your pass code and ask you if this is correct. Press the HFT ‘talk’ button and say ‘Yes’. The system will then search for your phone, but you will now also need to activate the Bluetooth search function on your phone (as mentioned in step 1) as the 2 devices need to be searching at the same time to establish a connection.

7. On your phone, select the ‘Connect to Honda HFT’ option when it appears. The phone will then ask for your pass code. Input the pass code you selected in step 5.

8. The system will then say this “A new phone has been found, what would you like to name this phone?” You can then give this phone a name that will be stored in the HFT memory by pressing the talk button and stating the name you wish to use.

9. On Civic the radio and heater/climate control display panel will display a small symbol shaped like a phone to show you that the phone is correctly paired.

10. On Accord there will be no symbol displayed, the only way to see if the phone is paired is by looking at the display panel on your phone. Refer to your phones owners manual for exact details on which symbol should be displayed.

Making a call

1. Make sure the phone you are using is paired to the car (see above).

2. Press the HFT ‘talk’ button, you will see the word “TEL” displayed on the Civics’ or Accord’s (with Navigation) upper info panel, on Accord without Navigation it will be shown on the Audio unit’s display. Say ‘Call’ or ‘Dial’ and the system will then ask what name or number you would like to ring.

3. Press the HFT ‘talk’ button and after the beep clearly say the number you wish to call e.g. ‘0.1.7.5.3.5.9.0.5.0.0’,remember to direct your voice towards the microphone unit which is located in the ceiling console at the front of the roof area. When calling out the number ‘0’ it is best to say the word ‘zero’ not ‘oh’.

4. The system will then read back the number to you (If you have made an error push the back button and try again) and asks whether you want to call or continue adding numbers. Press and release the HFT ‘talk’ button and say ‘Call’ or ‘Dial’, you and will then hear the phone ringing.

5. If you have stored the number you wish to call on the cars phonebook e.g. ”Home” then press the HFT ‘talk’ button and then say ‘Call’ or ‘Dial’ and then the system asks what name or number would you like to call.

6. Press the HFT talk button and after the beep clearly say ’Home’, again remembering to direct your voice towards the microphone. The system will again ask you to confirm that you wish to call ‘Home’. Press and release the ‘talk’ button and say ‘Call’ or ‘Dial’ and then you will hear the phone ringing.

Receiving and Ending a call

When an incoming call is detected a ringing tone will be heard through the car’s audio speakers, and the audio system will be muted. To answer the call press the HFT ‘talk’ button on the steering wheel, again direct your voice towards the roof console microphone during the call or the person on the other end of the line might not be able to hear you clearly. To hang up after the call press the HFT back button.

Tips for getting the most out of HFT

1. You can alter the volume of the person speaking to you by using the audio unit’s volume knob, this will control the sound output level but can only be adjusted during a call.

2. Always direct your voice towards the microphone unit in the front roof console unit. You do not have to speak directly at the unit or turn your head to the unit, but speak clearly and slowly whilst facing the road. Try not to mumble or talk too quickly as the system may not fully understand your commands or your speech may not be clearly heard during a call, speak to the system as you would talk to another person.

3. Give the system multiple word commands i.e. instead of saying ‘Call’, then the name or number, then ‘Call/dial’ again, you can say ‘Call Home’ or ‘Call 01753 590500’ as one command. Then as the system speaks to you asking you if that’s what you would like to do then press the ‘HFT Talk’ button again, as long as you press this button whilst the system is still talking it will assume you meant to confirm the next voice command. So by doing this you will reduce the number of button presses, voice commands and also the chances of the system misinterpreting your commands.

4. Allow time to learn how soon you can speak or press the ‘Talk’ button whilst giving commands and also how long you can leave the system before it assumes you’ve finished and returns to the menu. Trying to rush the system or waiting too long between commands will result in system errors which may be mistaken for a fault with the HFT system.

5. Like every complex electronic system the HFT system will occasionally make a mistake, you may say, for example, ‘Dial’ and the system may respond with a random set of numbers or may even speak in another language. Use the ‘Back’ button to cancel the last command and try again.

6. If you are pairing more than one phone to the system then please ensure that the first phone paired has had its Bluetooth function switched off, or the system may not allow the new phone to pair correctly.
    7. If in any doubt then please consult your owner’s manual, or if you need any further assistance then please contact your nearest Honda dealer.

This is most commnly asked question my HFT has changed to another language from English? how do I change it back?

Language reset procedure for Hand Free Telephone (HFT) system

If you find that the Hands Free Telephone systems language has been changed from English to another language by accident, the owner’s manual states that you need to reset the system by giving the appropriate commands in the new language. If you encounter this problem then follow the procedure listed below to change the language back to English.

1. Press the ‘talk’ button and after the beep clearly say ”English”.

2. The system will now respond in English to tell you that you have requested a language change and how this will affect any stored name’s and do you wish to carry out this change, it will then repeat this statement in the original and incorrect language.

3. Once the system has stopped speaking then press the ‘talk’ button again and say “yes”.

4. The system will then respond by confirming that the language has been changed and will return back to the main menu.

5. If you find that the language will not change back to English then try clearing the HFT pass code by using HDS and then try changing the language again. If anyone is near Leeds and wants free assistance for this by all means drop me a PM I have the latest HDS system and i can do the pass code reset for you.

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Just to add a bit more information on this the 8th Generation accord has a noise cancelling type microphone, this is designed to help improve the voice recognition of the Navigation /HFT system by being directional towards the driver and cancelling out other background noises. So if you plan to do some diagnostics or troubleshoot the microphones, make sure they go back into its holder and flush against the fixing as shown here.

HFT how not to 8th gen. HFT how to 8th gen.

3. Julianp Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Paris
    Re: Article: Hand Free Telephone (HFT) User guide

Hi IchibanAccord,
    Is there a file available anywhere with all the voice commands available in English? I have a French registered Accord Type-S (2012) and although I am bilingual in French I would be interested in trying the voice system in English. I know that I could say Help to hear the commands but there's a lot to memorise! In my French car all the commands are listed on a few pages at the end of the complete satnav manual. Perhaps there is a PDF copy of that manual somewhere? Or could someone scan in the relevant pages from their 8th Generation satnav manual?
    Many thanks,
    Julian.

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    That is an easy fix Julian, I wonder why the other forum could not answer this question.. :Rolf:

If the language of the HFT has been somehow changed from English to a foreign language or been set to another by default, the easiest way to change it back is to press the HFT talk button and clearly say “English”.

The system will then confirm the language change, first in English and then in the foreign language. When it has finished, press the HFT talk button again and say “Yes”

HFT Talk Button.

If you want the facts without the merry go round you come to AOC.:Wink:

5. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    Sometimes it may take a few attempts saying English untill the car gives you the option to select English as your preferred language.

6. Julianp Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Paris
    Hi Peppyster1,
    Actually that wasn't the question I asked. I can see easily how to change the language. What I would like to know is this: when I am then using the voice system in English, what are all the available commands I can say in English? I know that I can say Help and hear them but there a lot to memorise; it would be helpful to have a printed list to refer to. In the French satnav manual there is a list over a few pages at the end; I assume that there is something similar in the English-langauge manual. Perhaps someone else can help?
    Thanks,
    Julian.

7. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    Have you got an English manual to refer to?

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Can any of the 8th Generation owners help out Julian with the commands.I sure your original post came across you were interested in trying the voice system in English.. However there are a lot of HFT command listing then will take an eternity to type up, alternatively you can purchase the original owners manual from your dealer in English.

The Saloon & Tourer 2012 year model OM part number is 32TL4630, your local dealer in France can order that for you. The retail price is around £28.00

9. Julianp Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Paris
    I was hoping the English manual might have existed somewhere in PDF form online. I don't have one as I bought my car in France and the docs are in French. I'm not sure I want to spend £28 on one for the sake of a few pages worth of information.
    Julian.

10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    There isn't unfortunately the commands are not listed anywhere else on internet or Honda publications they are only in the owners manual.

if you can wait two weeks when I get my car I can get them types up specially for you :Wink: or even better rope in young Zoran to get some commands typed up from his owners manual .:Smile:

28 quid aint that bad fella not going to break the bank.

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    The only basic info regarding the set up the HFT are listed on Honda Handsfree

Spoke to Zoran he is working on these commands now.

12. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

There is about four pages of commands.it will take me forever to type them all up.I will type some of them.

13. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Get some coffee made, and get wearing those keyboard keys.. :Smile: