Insight Honda Insight owner

Discussion in '2nd Generation (2009)' started by webwysard, Sunday 23rd Feb, 2014.

1. webwysard New Member Getting Started

Hi All,

I'll be collecting my Honda Insight tommoro so just to see how many Insight owner are there in this forum as I can't seem to find a Honda Insight club on it own.

Thanks

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Welcome to AOC Webwysard hi. , we love all Honda owners and hope you enjoy your new Insight. You need any info on the Insights just ask.

3. webwysard New Member Getting Started

Hi,

Seems like there aren't many Insight owners here.

Anyway I hope there is someone who could clarify couple of issues I have.

The main reason to get Insight was to save some fuel and upto now I've just managed to get about 320miles out of a tank which is of 40ltrs and that makes its about 37mpg which to be honest is nowhere near the advertised figure but I never believed that either and was hoping to get about 45+MPG.

If there is someone out there who has managed to get a decent MPG out of their Insight then please let me know.

Thanks

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hi ,how many miles have you got on your insight? To master good fuel economy on your hybrid is to master the Eco monitor and throttle control. On downhills ease of the throttle to charge the battery and gain momentum before inclines to use then motor assist.

Garrydhu likes this.
  5. webwysard New Member Getting Started

The car has just over 10k miles so quite new and ever since I've had the car I been driving with Econ mode on.

And as you said I don't go nuts while driving and always ease on throttle and on brakes yet the MPG hasn't improved. I'll be on my next tank of fuel from tommoro so will see what sort of MPG I get and will report back.

Thanks for the response.

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hey you could have a look at this for more info thumbup.

7. vzh7gk Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Graham Cheltenham
    37mpg?
    A diesel CR-V can manage that, and better.
    My 2008 MINI Clubman Cooper D regularly gives me 52mpg on my 11 mile each way commute...
    'Fraid I still don't see how hybrid cars are going to save the planet - environmentally they are expensive to produce (plus the batteries contain some nasty chemicals and are life limited compared to the rest of the car) - it's no good just looking at what comes out of the exhaust, the whole lifecycle of the car needs to be taken into account.
    I'll get off the soap box now! lol.

So, have you managed to improve on your fuel consumption?? Just curious, I could be tempted...

Cheers,
    Graham

8. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    I drove several 1000 miles in an Insight: if I did my best, in summertime I could get 60 MPG without annoying anybody else on the road. Anyhow: 50 MPG is easy to get on a 20 mile drivecycle. You do not have to care much about fuel economy to get that figure. But it took several 1000's of miles of the car before the fuel economy went to the 60 figure (braking in).
    Just as with diesels and classic petrols: short drivecycles kill MPG. Especially in a hybrid and in winter, as the electromotor does almost not support the first miles with a cold engine.
    I'm not that fond of the sound the engine makes in combination with the CVT, but that's something else. I had the same (I-DSI) engine in my Civic (and my wife still has), and in that car I can better appreciate that engine. I do love the silence when the engine cuts off before traffic lights.

9. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    welcome!. re-set your average MPG before each trip, that will help improve your MPG. there are many ways in which to use the car to your advantage, what almost all hybrid owners forget its you play the biggest part and not the car itself. sales figures are allways on the high side as ime sure you already knew. you don't have to be anal about driving economicaly but use the car to your advantage and you CAN! got good MPG. I've driven many insights on 300 mile trips and stop start arround town. you will get there with a bit of practice.

Garrydhu likes this.
  10. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Welcome who, Beefy?

11. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    welcome, webwysard ??

12. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Are there any known issues with the Insight?

13. jaywood Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Brands
    The main problem is others sticking their oars in when owners are just saying hi.
    Nearly every type of car can have some kind of 'green' credentials attached if thats the reason behind buying.
    Welcome to the forum fella and are you using the MPG computer or calculating the numbers yourself?
    Real numbers from pump and tacho will provide a truer value.
    Would like to see the road surface used for MPG stats by all the makers. The state of englands tracks (roads would be stretching it) must cost a couple of MPG.

14. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    All right, but he's here since 1 year. That's why I was a bit confused.

No problems at all with the Insight. The first model years had a (relatively) hard suspension, that has been changed along with other plastics. But that's no trouble.
    It's a wonderfull, extremely reliable car in which you can achieve high MPG's without any effort. A true Honda.

15. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Peter what grade of oil have you been using in your hybrid to get higher mileage you will need to use 0w-20 Hybrid oil.

16. peg New Member Getting Started

Hi,
    Thanks for the reply.
    I phoned the previous owner of the car and he said he'd regularly achieved 70mpg, so I'm now suspecting the servicing to be the issue.
    The garage used 5w 30 in the recent service. Could this, rather than the grade you state, really make a difference of 20mpg? - or is there anything else they may have done?
    Thanks,
    Peter

17. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

The main issue is probably driving style as mentioned in some of the earlier posts - stick with it as it takes a few weeks or months to adapt - you won't develop the ideal style in the first fortnight. The oil will make some difference - apparently Honda Green Oil is a thin 0W 20 bordering on 0W 15, a lot less viscous than 5W 30 - so you could be talking 2/3/4 MPG difference maybe.

Could he have exaggerated slightly when he said 70? aocwink.

18. peg New Member Getting Started

Thanks very much for the reply. Exaggeration is always a likely cause - and I'll take your advice on taking a couple of weeks to get used to the driving style. A second, different point concerns the lack of a spare tyre, which irks me.
    Does anyone know if the spare-wheel housing which some Insights have can be used in any model? I'm hoping to buy a spare but would rather not have it loose in the boot.

Peter

19. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Hi Peg,
    You can order a spare wheel kit for Insight, but it will not fit in any other models. The foam that comes with it only fits the Insight.
    70 MPG? I do believe it's possible in certain circumstances. As said: I could reach 60 MPG, but circumstances were not always ideal (wind, temperature, tyre pressure, 0W30 oil, traffic,...).
    But take it as an exception, and not as real life figure. Just a the 45 MPG (in wintertime) I can get on my 8th Generation 2 liter petrol: it will not show long on the dashreading.

20. peg New Member Getting Started

Is it normal for an Insight's battery to lose charge quickly? My 2010 reg vehicle's battery goes flat if I listen to the radio for just a few minutes with the engine off. The obvious answer is that the battery needs replacing but I never have problems starting the car. I also cover a wide range of journeys, with few less than 10 miles.

Peter