Off-Topic Honda Izy Lawnmower - Clutch Belt Come Off

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Robbie, Sunday 26th May, 2013.

1. Robbie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Robert Lancashire
    Can anyone help? The drive on my Izy has gone, and fumbling underneath there is a drive belt that's come adrift from a pulley. How easy is it to put it back, or will I have to take it to a Honda lawnmower service centre. The Izy is about three years old.

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Take a shiny rod or a spark plug rod wedge it between the pulley and belt and slip it back on. Caution when you tilting the mower don't not tip the mower over with the air filter towards the ground , tip towards the muffler side:Thumbup: otherwise oil will enter the carb and it will refuse to start. Is your mover a self drive or a push ? If its a self drive they don't like to be moved in reverse . if it a self drive and you did push it in reverse you know what to do
    Let me know if you need more info.

3. Robbie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Robert Lancashire
    It's a self powered.

4. mrjolly Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

As allready stated, tip the mower exhaust side down, there will probably be a plastic cover to protect the belt from grass, remove said cover and the belt is usually held on by a spring tensioner on the gearbox. You may have to pull/tilt the gearbox against the spring to get the belt on but should be a five to ten minute job.
    Hth Sid

5. Robbie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Robert Lancashire
    Thanks for that, I'll give it a go tomorrow.

6. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

On the Izy there's no cover but the gearbox is spring loaded.
    There's not a lot of space but as CJ said use a shiny rod or a large screwdriver to slide the belt back over the pulley,
    Probably a good idea to disconnect the spark plug first also, as you will probably need to turn the blade to run the belt on.

7. Robbie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Robert Lancashire
    Thanks for the heads up. It is a good idea to disconnect the spark plug. Never gave that a thought. Good job you reminded me.

8. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

You'd soon realise when if fires up and the blade turns at 3000 RPM.:Wink:

9. Robbie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Robert Lancashire
    "Look Mum, no hands!"

Ichiban likes this.
  10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Good point on the spark plug but you have to hold the lever on the handle to engage the CDI /igniter as it will be resting over and the handle in the down position I can't see it firing. But safety first take the plug cap off

11. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

It shouldn't start mate but I've seen on my own if you lie it on its side and it moves while you're working on it. The handle sometimes presses down due to the angle. It probably wouldn't fire up but you never know.

12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Yup agree that can happen ,also put the fuel tap to off also.

13. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I've turned that fuel tap to run the carb empty in the past it takes ages to stall. These Izys seem to run on minimal fuel.

14. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  15. Robbie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Robert Lancashire
    Got the mower out yesterday and tried to fit the belt back on the pulleys. Unfortunately, I found it impossible to fit it around the clutch pulley. It was impossible to bring the clutch pulley forward and keep it in position. Any ideas?

16. mrjolly Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

OK Robbie, i have fitted literally hundreds of mower belts in my time on pedestrian mowers and usually its a 5 min job, there is a nack to it though. I must admit i don't recall doing a late Izzy but, first, remove plug, tip the mower over, if you can't get the belt around the g.box pulley with the play that you have remove the blade. normally 1 or 2 14mm bolts. tip- wear steel toe capped boot and put your foot inside the deck and stop the blade turning against your boot. when you have that out of the way, use a cable tie or bit of rope and tie your dead man lever to the handle. see why in a min. So now you should be able to get the belt off and in your hand. Now try to get it round the g.box pulley first and keep it under tension and try to wind it up the blade mounting boss like getting your chain back on a pushbike, you should be able to turn the engine pulley / boss by hand easy enough as you have the plug out and dead man handle/ engine brake off. This normally works, in fact most of the time you don't need to remove the blade as you can get a but more play on the belt by pulling the belt off the engine pulley as the blade boss normally has a step in it below the actual pulley bit .
    Hope this may give you a few ideas mate.
    failing that , there will be youtube guides.

17. hedleyf Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Nice having a Honda mower after all the cold winter come spring you go to the shed, choke on, pull cord a few times and away you go. I wonder why the Germans don,t make a lawn mower?

Ichiban and SpeedyGee like this.
  18. always1 New Member Getting Started

United Kingdom Keith Edinburgh
    Hi guys I have a 2002 Honda izy self propelled.Now the drive is turning when I removed the wheels but there's nothing catching the cogs inside wheel to make them move,anyone know what's missing.Thanks in advance