Off-Topic Honda Japan Problems

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by tomwillie, Saturday 25th Oct, 2014.

1. tomwillie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

England Tom Royston
    I always thought Honda were a bit slow to introduce new technology to ensure they get it right but apparently problems in Japan:
    Honda's hastiness blamed for Fit fiasco- Nikkei Asian Review

Honda in USA seem to do well with sales & model range although there have been class actions in USA regarding hard seats in Accord MY 12 & Rear Brakes on the Accord.

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Its does not affect cars in EU so don't see what impact it will have here. Yanks love to sue you for anything so its worthless to debate if there is a fault.

On a personal level I don't think the current president Takanobu Ito is the ideal man for the job. He done nothing so far which will make him go down in Honda history as a visionary. He needs to go.

John Dickson likes this.
  3. tomwillie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

England Tom Royston
    I made the post to illustrate that Honda's hallow is slipping in Japan as well as EU, hence community letter to Honda UK that is in proces of being drafted. Will this letter get to Honda HQ in Japan?

There have been problems with premature wear of rear pads & seized callipers on Accord in UK but not very expensive to replace.

Honda doing well in USA where new NSX will be produced.

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    How can one model problems be the start of "Honda's hallow slipping" I may remind Toyota were in worse place a few years ago and it was a million time worse than Honda's one problematic model. That article is nothing but sensationalist how can it erode years of manufacturing and engineering excellence .. are you and the rest of Honda customers really that gullible?

I think the letter to Honda will cover the core issue not detract and seek answers or justifications on back on a article. Having worked for Honda no senior Japanese staff ever talks to the press revealing the dark secrets, so these so called sources are smoke screens. Japanese don't do whisper and gossip it very much frowned upon and you will never get employment anywhere as this will spread to others manufacturer too. Its small club everyone knows everybody and in Japanese corporate culture and you need to know you place otherwise you are gone.

if you read that article its very much leaning towards Toyota telling people to switch , when Toyota was in the crisis it was shown to do deals, bribe vendors even do massive out of court settlements. so I would say its nice marketing ploy to get a article printed in their favour and probably paid by Toyota?

Why didn't they say other manufacturer have you wondered that ?

5. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Isn't this the guy who said that a new Accord (Euro) is definitely being readied to the Australian motoring press about 18 months or so ago? Does make you wonder....

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Yes he went on record to state that now his position has clearly changed.

Last edited: Saturday 25th Oct, 2014
  7. tomwillie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

England Tom Royston
    When Fit/Jazz comes to UK next year it should be well sorted out.

Honda is a very profitable car manufacturer but I wish for a bit more variety EG Honda Acord coupe, replacement for S2000, sunroof options, more powerful petrol engine in CR-V etc, but saying that I think other most other major manufacturers have far too many options.

In my opinion an updated S2000 with new turbo engine would outsell Civic Type-R which will probably retain twist beam rear suspension.

I know that some denigrate Honda Swindon products but they all do well in Warrany Direct's reliability index.

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    They will release the non hybrid version to the EU market first and then roll out the Hybrid provided their is a appetite for them in diesel Europe. Currently the Jazz Hybrid is the only hybrid available from Honda, CR-Z and Insight were withdrawn due to the popularity of the diesel engine, wth BMW and other going heavy into performance Hybrids its time Honda made a commitment to it.

9. tomwillie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

England Tom Royston
    The Honda 1.6 diesel is a testament to Honda technical excellence & it gives best real word MPG. However, there is likely to be a reaction against diesel due to the thousands of people the diesel fumes are estimated to kill each year just in UK. In which case small economic turbo petrol engines will dominate as is already happening with latest Ford Fiesta sales. Honda had experience many years ago with turbo engines & could have built on that but chose not to do so & are now catching up.

Honda could pay more attention to model succession. For example, with BMW & VW/Audi group there is usually a model succession re Cabrios which are ALWAYS popular in UK & Europe generally yet Honda let the S2000 wither & die as they have done with the Accord.

In the case of the S2000, when production of the NSX stopped then production of the S2000 was moved to another factory & S2000 aficionados think this may have lead to a reduction in quality. Then when latter production of S2000 stopped circa 2008/2009 there was nothing to replace it. It must effect the moral of workers when they know that a model is not being developed/replaced. This might be a reason why S2000's MY 2008/2009 have suffered a much higher than expected engine failure rate, & even replacement engines have failed. This is not really acceptable in an engine which had been in production since 1999.

The reason given by Honda why this occurred is:
    "In some cases, oil application to the crankshaft thrust washer during production was insufficient. Combined with a high surface pressure, this could result in scuffs on the thrust washer, leading to abnormal wear and eventually abnormal noise."

Abnormal noise is an understatement, total engine failures usually occurred. As with Accord rusty sunroofs, Honda UK has usually looked after customers but some have had a lot of grief. Touch wood, so far the engine in my 09MY S2000 at 34k miles is running like a sewing machine.

10. tomwillie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

England Tom Royston
    The Honda 1.6 diesel is a testament to Honda technical excellence & it gives best real word MPG. However, there is likely to be a reaction against diesel due to the thousands of people the diesel fumes are estimated to kill each year just in UK. In which case small economic turbo petrol engines will dominate as is already happening with latest Ford Fiesta. Honda had experience many years ago with turbo engines & could have built on that but chose not to do so & are now catching up.

Honda could pay more attention to model succession. For example, with BMW & VW/Audi group there is usually a model succession re Cabrios which are popular in UK & Europe generally yet Honda let the S2000 wither & die as they have done with the Accord.

In the case of the S2000, when production of the NSX stopped then production of the S2000 was moved to another factory & S2000 afficicados think this may have lead to a reduction in quality. Then when latter production of S2000 stopped circa 2008/2009 there was nothing to replace it. It must effect the moral of workers when they know that a model is not being developed/replaced. This might be a reason why S2000's MY 2008/2009 have suffered a much higher than expected engine failure rate, & even replacement engines have failed. This is not really acceptable in an engine which had been in production since 1999.

The reason given by Honda why this occurred is:
    - - - Updated - - -
    Problem with IE11 not responding.
    The reason given by Honda for engine failures in S2000:
    "In some cases, oil application to the crankshaft thrust washer during production was insufficient. Combined with a high surface pressure, this could result in scuffs on the thrust washer, leading to abnormal wear and eventually abnormal noise."

The abnormal noise is an understatement, catastrophic engine failures have occurred. As with rusty sunroofs Honda UK have dealt sympathetically with most cases but some owners have had a lot of grief.

11. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Yet again this is somewhere where Honda have failed miserably. They were the first to launch a production hybrid but now seem to have handed this over to arch rivals Toyota. However what is even more annoying is the German car brigade getting all excited about how Audi "have invented this wonderful system where it recovers energy during braking" Audi haven't invented this system at all. Where were Audi with hybrids when the original Insight was launched in 1998/99? They were probably in full swing with their working party to reduce quality levels but still get away with ripping customers off with ridiculously high prices. :Rolf:

I read somewhere that diesel exhaust (un filtered) is now classed as a Category 1 Human Carcinogen so that makes it akin to asbestos...... :Fear:

How accurate this article was I don't know and I can't remember where I read it.

12. Nels Moderator Staff Team

This is something that concerns me John. My I-CTDI doesn't have a DPF, so I do my best to keep her running as efficiently as possible. However, I get very annoyed when I see thick plumes of black soot blasting out of the back some vehicles.

13. tomwillie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

England Tom Royston
  14. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Nitrous oxides cause respiratory problems. There are other known carcinogens from exhaust emissions, (e.g. arsenic, benzene, formaldehyde and nickel) but that's the subject for a different thread.