Electrical & Lights Honda Jazz ignition lock

Discussion in '2nd Generation (2001-2008)' started by Catz37, Tuesday 10th May, 2016.

1. Catz37 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Marion Nottingham
    I have owned my Jazz from new, since May 2006. It has an ongoing problem with the ignition lock. It started when the car was apro 2 years old. When the weather is hot, I can'tell get the keys out of the ignition lock. I have taken it to my local Honda dealership twice but they could find no problem (probably because the temperature had dropped). The first hot day this summer and it'seems started again. I'be been quoted £500 to replace the ignition lock and my car has only done 27know miles.
    Has anyone experienced similar problems?

2. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    @Catz37 hello and welcome to HondaKarma
    I personally haven't come across such an issue for Jazz. However I must admit it is quite a peculiar thing to happen and it's unfortunate that that dealerships were unable to replicate the fault.

I think it's safe to say that you are well out of warranty and now you will have to pay for the repairs. £500 is indeed a steep price but considering that that will involve changing all locks I'm not surprised.

If I were you, and lock Change was the only solution, I would buy a complete set off eBay from a similar car and get a car locksmith to change all locks for you. buying a complete set like this: will save you from paying the dealer for coding the keys but of course there is more hassle involved. (Mind you the link is for one with Auto transmission so make sure you buy the correct one for your model... I posted the link just to give you an idea)

But maybe it will worth visiting a locksmith and asking them to have a look at the ignition barrel.

Let's see what others have to say maybe someone has come across this issue before.

FirstHonda likes this.
  3. DrSam Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Sam Birmingham
    Not sure but would wd40 help?

4. jd1959 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Zack Kilkenny
    I found this video but it looks like more of a repair than I would want to undertake at least if the pins are getting stuck and not allowing the key to be removed. I'd have a automotive locksmith have a look before replacing the lot. Out of curiosity do you have a large amount of keys or weight on the cars key ring? I've been told by a neighbor locksmith that it causes premature failure and wear in the key, lock and pins.

Other thoughts try a PTFE spray rather than WD40 as it can go sticky in time and create a host of new problems or if it is an automatic there is a possibility that the mechanism to release the key only when the car is in park could be going faulty.

DrSam likes this.
  5. Busa1340r Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Yate
    Unlikely..... Graphite grease is more likely to help.

6. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

@Catz37 this was your thread. members did post some answers, did you get a chance to try them?

7. Catz37 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi Everyone who posted suggestions. No, I didn't use WD40 as I didn't want to tamper with the lock, which is ok most of the time. There is only the ignition key and Honda fob on the keyring. In desperation, I returned it to Lookers in Nottingham for the third time. They fitted a new lock to the ignition (only) no door locks so now I have 2 keys. I wrote to Honda UK giving details including low milage (27,000), I also asked them to test the lock but they said they had no facilities!!!
    On 5 June, the same problem occurred and the key jammed in the new lock (3 weeks old). I was stranded! I had to leave the vehicle with the keys in the ignition and unlocked. I phoned my husband who had to drive over to collect the vehicle. The keys remained jammed until the early hours of the morning and the vehicle was unsecured on the driveway. I videoed us trying to remove the key and sent it to Head Office (they couldn't comment). I called Lookers who suggested I again book it in. Not much point until the keys are actually jammed in. Last night, it happened again, cat at the vet, car unlocked with keys in and Lookers closed for the night! I intend to drive the car into Lookers when the keys are jammed because nobody thinks it could possibly happen! The problem is that the garage is usually closed when this happens.

8. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

I don't know why but I think it is not the ignition barrel but the steering lock playing up. That is the only thing that can prevent the key from coming out. Although it is enabled when steering is at an angle and key on off position but this exact thing might be malfunctioning.

Have you tried jiggling the steering when the keys are stuck? does it rotate ok? or is locked in place? will it possible for you to upload the video somewhere and give us the link?

9. Busa1340r Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Yate
    Does the car have Automatic transmission - could it be a problem with the interlocking mechanism?

10. Catz37 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi, In reply to legend-ary, I guess it could possibly be the steering lock seeing as how the new ignition lock is still causing problems. We have tried jiggling the steering lock when the keys are in the ignition and the steering wheel still turns. I am very new to this page but will try to post video clips. I have just tried to add the clips but I am getting an error message 'undefined'. Can someone please advise how best to post the video clips?

In response to Busa1340r, yes, the car is an automatic SE model.

Thanks

11. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

Unfortunately The forum doesn't allow posting of videos directly so you will have to upload it to somewhere like YouTube or tinypic or sendvid.com and paste the link here. Interesting that steering moves freely when key is stuck

12. Busa1340r Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Yate
    http://www.lingshonda.co/honda_car_...k_01=17SAA601&block_02=B__3500&block_03=20721

OK.....so just a thought. Have you tried jiggling the gear lever in an attempt to remove the keys. You presumably are aware that you can only remove the keys with the selector in the "P/Park" position?

Could it be that there is an intermittent problem with the shift lock solenoid. You should be able to temporarily bypass the solenoid by inserting a(nother!) key into the slot to the left of the selector and pushing down, however this will not work if the problem is electrical, only if the problem is mechanical.

The solenoid appears to only come as part of sub-harness shown as part 19. Part no 5 is the manual release mechanism.

13. Catz37 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi thanks for this bit of advice. The new lock, fitted by Honda, failed with the same problem after 3 weeks. I took it in to Honda last Thursday and they have to wait until tomorrow for another new lock to arrive from Belgium. They say they have no courtesy car available and so I'm 6 days without a car! The first time Honda blamed the low mileage and short journeys for the lock failing but how can they blame that on a 3 week old lock?

14. Catz37 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Following on from previous thread re the keys jamming in the ignition lock; Honda replaced the ignition lock 13 May (£500.08). On 5 June the new lock jammed. When the third lock arrived it was missing security screws so they had to be ordered from Honda. 26 June, third lock jammed! I was out and Honda sent a mechanic out to inspect the car. He diagnosed that the ignition lock wasn't the problem! It was the switch in the auto gear unit. Car booked in 25 June. They charged me a further £154.68 for new switch. I complained again to Honda about the service, and lack of courtesy car for 7 days and received a condescending reply. Spoke to Service Manager, pointed out that car had been taken to Honda since it was 2 years old and it was never investigated, each time I was told there was no problem. I also pointed out that the incorrect part had been fitted 3 times and I had to pay £500.08; also the inconvenience of being without a vehicle (I was only given a courtesy car 1 day the second time and I was promised an automatic because I had had recent knee surgery but when the time came to collect the car, it was a manual gear and aggravated my recent surgery.) I called Service Manager, Honda on 28 June and was told that, if I still had it, they would refit the original ignition lock and refund me £425! (They would charge me an hours diagnostics at £75 per hour! I received a confirmation email from Vertu Honda that my vehicle was booked in for 18 July, (today). I called this morning to discover that they will not be collecting it until this evening and will, in fact do the work tomorrow! I am concerned that the lock may have 'dried out' after 2 months of being in a box (after all, Honda UK informed me that they had no facility to test parts!) and also annoyed at having to pay £75 for an hours diagnostics, when this has already been done! To date, no refund has been forthcoming.

15. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

Sorry to hear that the issue dragged on for so long but by the sounds of it they finally managed to find the fault with the gear lever switch which @Busa1340r pointed to in your original thread here: Honda Jazz ignition lock (Electrical & Lights - )

I don' think there will any issues with old lock if it has just been sitting so I wouldn't worry about it too much. Its really poor show by dealership to charge you for taking off the part you didn't require in the first place. I would either ask to speak to the dealership manager and ask him why you should? I am guessing out of £500 they charged you to put the new lock on, £75 was the installation charge (hence the £425 refund).

It is shocking what you have gone through and I think absolute BS that Honda UK cannot test parts? are you sure its not the dealership saying that they cannot test parts?

16. Catz37 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi, thanks for your response. I wrote to Honda UK when the lock was first replaced and they wrote back saying that Honda UK has no facility to test parts! (asked the dealership for the original lock in order for it to be tested).

17. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

@Catz37 your new thread has been merged with your original one so someone looking for the issue can have the whole picture.

SpeedyGee likes this.