Engine & Gearbox Honda Jazz input shaft bearing

Discussion in '2nd Generation (2001-2008)' started by legend-ary, Saturday 5th Dec, 2015.

1. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    I have had a good long chat with @SpeedyGee about this one and although I am keen on keeping the car, just thought I'll hear what others have to say.

As many of you know there is a definite oil leak under my car, 99% sure its from the gearbox as engine is bone dry and oil levels haven't dropped. Previous owner did recondition the gearbox in 2013 at a cost of £700 but the car had done about 50,000 miles until I bought it in August. There has always been a faint whine in the gearbox which goes away when I press the clutch pedal hence pointing to the fact that it is input shaft bearing for sure! :no: its not noticeable unless you are actually trying to hear it on a very quite street in the middle of the night :blush:

Question: Has anyone got a clue how much it will cost me to get the bearings replaced? or should I not do it at all and look to part ways with the car in next few months before it gets worse?

Obviously I love the Katto and I feel it has plenty of life left but I run a very tight budget so it doesn't make sense to me to spend £500 on a car that is worth £800.. but on the other hand I don't want to get into the hassle of buying another sub £1000 car as it will present its own set of issues no doubt. :sweating:

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    It will be the release bearing mate by the sounds of it.

3. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Depends on cost, if its £700 then that is hell of a lot of money, I would probably look to get another Jazz, otherwise if the rest of the car is good then if its a decent price then go for it, as you say you could buy another car for £1k and then find that it needs hundreds spending on it few months down the line, there will be lots of good cars out there but you will have to wait for it, took me best of 8 months to find my Accord, but I'm glad I waited!

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Do you hear the noise when the car is moving @legend-ary ?

5. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

Not really. Only when parked with windows closed.
    As i said you probably will miss it until you press the clutch and that faint noise disappears.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Thats the whole issue. I like the car and think its a keeper. I know for a fact that noise won't affect driving one bit and i have come across people living with noise for years but im a bit OCD and won't be able to stand it.
    I needed a reliable and safe car due to hospital runs etc which is why i got rid of the tatty Yaris which didn't even have ABS. I don't want to end up with another Jazz with new set of issues and im sure all pre 2005 (under £1000) cars will have hidden issues so i think this one is relatively quite good. I can't spend 500 on this though and i doubt this clutch/bearing is a diy i can do without tools in my flat's parking :/

6. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    To be honest it doesn't sound like anything to worry about at the moment.

legend-ary likes this.
  7. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    What I would personally do is keep driving until it actually become a big problem and in the mean time save up the money for maybe a newer Jazz, i'm sure 2k can get you a nice newer model, these cars keep their value pretty damn well though.

legend-ary likes this.
  8. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

You are right. I should keep my head down and just keep driving. Thanks for the advice guys.

9. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

Even though I have no plans to get the bearing work done anytime soon as the sound is very faint atm but because it is such a common issue I will put a bit of an update for people looking to get the work done and have ended up on this page.

I have had a couple of quotes and a guy in London who specializes in repairing Honda gearboxes says it will cost between £350-£400 to get the input shaft bearing replaced. This includes cost of taking off/refitting the gearbox, replacing the bearing and refill Honda MTF. This applies to both 2nd Generation Honda Jazz with 5 Speed Manual and 7th Generation Honda Civic with 5 speed manual transmissions.

Good luck!

exec likes this.
  10. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Whats the name of the guy or shop who fix Honda boxes?

11. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

Guy's name is Justin. Found him through his eBay listing:
    spoke to him in great detail. Also IHS Huddersfield on this forum have quotes around the same price if you are in and around Huddersfield, that might suit you best.

exec likes this.