Body, Paint & Styling Honda Jazz Tailgate Lock.

Discussion in '2nd Generation (2001-2008)' started by h_z, Wednesday 8th Jun, 2016.

1. h_z Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom HAYDER SH Reading
    Hi guys,
    I have a problem with my Honda Jazz 2008 MKII hatchback door lock. I tried to fix this problem on my own! I opened the cover and noticed that the lid lock cable a bit damaged from the white tip which hooks in the black base in the door, I found it broke but after I fix it with glue and put some tape on it, it's worked fine.
    The real problem is, it seems that the lid lock cable released from the lock and when I tried to open the 3 screw I failed to do so. If I can open it, I can investigate it in a bit of details Or even in worst case I can replace the lock.
    Any suggestions please? to fix this problem.
    Please have a look on the attached photos which are online photo.
    Regards

$_57 (1).JPG 35.

2. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    So you mean that tailgate is stuck locked and because the cable is no longer attached to handle, you cannot get the boot to open. Hmm well that's tricky. I have opened my tailgate before to check the lock but I am struggling to think if you can open back cover with boot closed.

Let me have a think.

3. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

There's a round grommet in the middle of the boot trim panel that can be taken off to manually open the boot from inside. However your cable is broken so you can't actually pull it. Sticky situation as the boot trim doesn't come off unless you take the handle that is on the under side.

4. h_z Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yeah, I agree it's difficult situation, but my concern about how to open the 3 screws which they hold the lock?
    @legend-ary
    - - - Updated - - -
    They are really tight, I tried to open them by using drill but no way!

5. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

Wait I thought your boot is stuck. Now reading your message it seems your lock is sitting on a desk and you want to replace the cable? Is that so? Maybe take photos of your lock and then we can see what are you trying to do.

6. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    @legend-ary, OP says :-
    Those are online photos

7. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

@SpeedyGee I was actually asking him to post photos of which 3 screws he's talking about. The online photo (which seems to be from eBay) doesn't show the screws he wants to take off and they also show that the cover over the lock has been taken off so I am guessing he already has reached that point so although I vaguley remember taking the cover off and finding the cable but the assembly was impossible to open with hand tools and I had use to a screwdriver to fiddle with my own lock assembly (I engaged the lock manually with boot open)

8. h_z Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi Guys,
    I bring you some exact photos for my problem.
    I am stuck with the screws, I can't open them, they are really really tight. I tried 20 times with different screwdrivers and with drill but no way!
    In some point, I thought, I close them rather than open them.
    Any suggestions?
    Regards

Attached Files:

9. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

Cheers @h_z now I see what you mean. I'll have a look at mine and reply to you shortly.

h_z likes this.
  10. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom nobody zoned
    you might still be able to get those undone with an impact driver and good quality "bits" in the impact driver

11. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

I just had a look at mine and yes I did manage to take mine off by using a blunt Philips bit in my socket rather than using a screwdriver. The lever will allow you to put much more force.

They do definitely come off

h_z likes this.
  12. h_z Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi and many thanks @legend-ary . Actually I don't have any idea about "blunt Philips bit" I am thinking to take the car to the dealer! Cause I can't open the screws.

13. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

^ there are several sizes, and not just "Philips", you have to use the correct size and type of "point" on the tip, a good quality impact driver with a good set of bits is a good investment for most jobs on cars and round the house, been there myself many times in the past :Wink:

h_z likes this.
  14. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

Sorry I shouldn't have assumed.
    I have one of these kits. Phaze 50 Piece Socket Set

In this you get quite a few screwdriver tips, like this. If you look closely the 2nd from left is a bit flatter and wider than the ones next to it. This allows it to have a better grip on the screw head and allows it to open.
    image.

Just it visualise what I'm saying, using that Halford kit you will have something like this which allows you to put quite a bit more leverage than possible from using a screwdriver (this image off Internet shows use of a socket at the end of a socket wrench but you will have the screwdriver bit at the end)
    image.

Hope that makes sense. My own kit is at work so I can show it in real life tomorrow morning if you can wait.

15. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

those cross-heads in the close-ups in #8 might be JIS (Japanese) type

legend-ary likes this.
  16. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

So here is what I just used to open the screws that you mentioned. You can see the tip I used is wider than the others sitting next to it. This means it fits tightly on the screw head and doesn't slip.
    image.
    A close up of the tips. Notice middle one being wider and flatter than the rest
    image.

SpeedyGee likes this.
  17. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

That (centre one) is a JIS bit

legend-ary and jimjams like this.
  18. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

19. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

I didn't know that. Jimjams said the same about screw heads above and I was wondering ...

jimjams likes this.
  20. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

I knew you didn't know so I was just confirming, so now you know ? right ? :Smile:

Last edited: Friday 10th Jun, 2016
    jimjams likes this.