In-Depth Honda K Series Drivetrain Mods OEM

Discussion in 'Technical Articles' started by Ichiban, Wednesday 26th Nov, 2014.

1. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I have been researching a clutch change on my 7th Generation Accord for some time and wanted to see what the other K series use and make a comparison. In essence all the K series share the same spine pattern on the friction plate so getting a uprated friction plate from a Type-R is an easy option.

Last time I was down at HH with @DeviateDefiant they kindly let us unbox a few brand new clutch kits for our research and we could mapped out all the part and part numbers. So big thank you guys.

How did the Type-R and compared the component with the 7th and 8th Generation ?

The biggest obvious gain was how light the FN2 flywheel is, that will give you an easy improvement in initial acceleration, all the Type-R pressure plates have thicker and few fingers for higher clamping force and looking at the build the pressure plates they are far superior to the ones found the 7th Generation Accord. The Friction plate is where the biggest improvement lie, spring on the plate are shorter and more coils,more heavy duty rivets and over a dozen more than the stock Accord which has four on the main disc!!

Conclusion:-
    The FN2 system does look like the ideal candidate for the replacement , I have one concern at higher rev will the reduced weight of the flywheel induce vibration and imbalance. The 7th Generation Accord engine are super silky and refined a lighter flywheel may make the engine feel slightly more coarser. I still need to do more research on this area.

To the biggest shock of this comparison was how heavy the 8th Generation 2.4 flywheel is but again the car is faster than the 7th Generation 2.4 which is baffling Honda have seriously made massive improvements in the 8th Generation . I wonder how it will be with a FN2 flywheel..:Devil:

There is still more research to do on the 8th Generation set up to see if there are any improvement in the pressure and friction plate we didn't have a set on day.

So this thread will get more updates and pictures too.

DC5
    22100-PRC-003 FLYWHEEL COMP. Net weight (kg) 6,250
    22200-PRC-003 DISK COMP., FRICTION
    22300-PRC-003 DISK COMP., PRESSURE

FN2
    22100-RSP-003 FLYWHEEL COMP. Net weight (kg) 4,760
    22300-RSP-003 DISK COMP., PRESSURE

CM2\CL9
    22100-RBB-005 FLYWHEEL COMP. Net weight (kg) 7,400
    22200-RBB-005 DISK COMP., FRICTION
    22300-RBB-005 DISK COMP., PRESSURE

EP3 (FD2, DC5 are the same specs as the EP3)
    22100-PRC-003 FLYWHEEL COMP. Net weight (kg) 6,250
    22300-PRB-003 DISK COMP., PRESSURE

CW2\CU2
    22100-R40-003 FLYWHEEL COMP. Net weight (kg) 8,780
    22200-R40-003 DISK COMP., FRICTION
    22300-R40-013 DISK COMP., PRESSURE

Lastly not to upset our Diesel boys. I have also been researching the Diesel set up on the CU3 ATS for last couple of months and I am 99.9% sure its a direct bolt on to the I-CTDI. So you guys wanting better set up for your remapped diesels well you have found the solution.

Sadly Petrol R&D takes priority so diesel will be some time down the line, if someone wants to take the reins on that front I can forward all my work and you run with it to the finish.

BB Baboonface and dinoc like this.
  2. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Good shout on starting to write-up all of the research, the FD2 was also the same as the EP3 and DC5. While we've only been looking at UK and JDM models at the moment, it's perhaps worth checking the Civic SI and Acura RSX Type-S as they're also performance orientated, perhaps heavier models like the CR-V and Odyssey as well just for comparison on the curb weight of models vs flywheel mass.

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Good call I have made amendment to reflect that .. If I can get the VIN numbers for these yanks tanks and JDM cars then researching is POC.

4. Mr Honda Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ireland Dublin
    I'll also add that I think the CL7 Euro R have the same part numbers as the DC5, though for some reason I'd have thought the FD2 would be different, certainly part number wise??

5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Interesting point !

Does the 8th Generation retain the counterbalance shafts on the oil pump ?

Just wondering if they ditched it or kept that. Maybe they ditched that and increased the flywheel weight to counter it.

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Nope they are still very much there mate.

E__1301.

Items 3 and 4 in the image

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    When I was at HH I had the ideal opportunity to inspect the I-DTEC clutch set up and sadly it can't be fitted on the I-CTDI the flywheel is massive and the clutch kit is bigger too but no doubt the lessons from the I-CTDI have been learnt the clutch and pressure plate are seriously beefed up.

DeviateDefiant likes this.
  8. dinoc Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Romania Bucharest
    I'm a little bit confused here, are you saying the FN2 has lighter flywheel than the JDM FD2 or DC5?

9. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

That's correct.

It's the lightest stock option.

A lightened stock flywheel is a good compromise over something like ultra light aluminum flywheel.

Last edited: Thursday 8th Oct, 2015
  10. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Civic Si = 7.26 Kg

Acura RSX Type-S = 6.3 Kg

11. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

FN2 is the one to get if sticking with OEM by the looks of it.

12. dinoc Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Romania Bucharest
    I'm just surprised the JDM FD2 has a heavier flywheel compared with FN2 (usually the JDM one gets the best parts : better intake cam, RRC, balance shaft delete, etc ...)
    Also the EP3 got two flywheels the pre-facelift and the facelift ones are different, I believe the latest one is much lighter the same with the DC5-R which I don't know the weight for it.

13. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

I run an Exedy HF02, same OEM, 4KG :Smile: