Legend/4th Gen Honda Legend Prices

Discussion in '4th Generation (2004-2012) [Acura RL]' started by SayamaAccord, Sunday 4th Dec, 2011.

1. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Asking prices for 4th Generation Legends on AutoTrader have now dipped below £10000.

I call that good value for money to buy a 4 or 5 year old top of the range Honda which cost £36000-£40000 new.

hondavtecr likes this.
  2. Paul Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

A lot of car for the money definitely. Not sure I could afford the fuel costs though. 3.5l V6 vs 2.2 diesel.

They do look lovely and only 33 cars nationwide on Autotrader for pretty rare as well.

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I have had the pleasure to drive a Legend for a whole day way back in 2007 and it was the car for me then and it is now too. I am still 34 and I don’t think it an old man’s car but it connected driver’s car who demand a spirited drive. The Legend is a superb handling machine with the SH-AWD any speed any road condition the handling is so neutral for novice drivers it is so forgiving and you will soon find the car give you the confidence which no other car give you that quickly. For the advance drivers they will want the tail to be a bit more communicate but with a few laps down you will find the groove and your lap times are quick..

However weight of the car does not helps so does the auto box for all out performance, but the Legend wasn't made to do that!! The V6 on full song sound glorious which is short due to the auto box .Ichisima-san of Spoon racing has developed a manually gearbox which is sublime, so the conversion is achievable.

Check out this fanatic video for SH-AWD our YouTube account among other fabulous Honda clips, Mr Honda one is my favourite.

Last edited by a moderator: Saturday 22nd Feb, 2014
    Maintenanceman likes this.
  4. Dr_D Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

When I saw one new at the time, I was like WOW! - it has all the bells and whistles, and then some, and SH-AWD means its a sure handling drive. Never been in one until recently (my test drive) and that's why its going to be on my drive in a week!

The bonus is LPG (properly fitted when the car was 2 yrs old) - I'll not be hammering it, but I can relax a bit knowing that the fuel isn't gonna hurt too much, its worked out "in theory" as econimical as my Civic in real terms using LPG, but I understand its like the QE2 on petrol!

And having watched the videos of the "japanese stig" hooning one round a test track without so much as a peep.... at least I know it'll do well in our typically crap yorkshire winters, which is something my Passat couldn't!

5. MeiMei New Member Getting Started

US
    I'd say that is a pretty good price for the Legend. I wonder if the price has dropped any in 6 or so months? It's definitely possible, I would guess. Too bad the gas isn't too good, otherwise it would be something to consider.

6. Dr_D Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I haven't seen many (if any) below 10k on the fb1 spec.... Only the "older" ones are cheap as chips. Saying that, the car I'm getting has been sat for ages at 13k and the dealer just wants to shift it. Its been dropped to just over 10500 and has lpg and all the toys so I realised it was the same car I saw ages ago, only cheaper. And for that reason alone, I've gone for it (even taking the abysmal economy into account its only a fraction dearer than my Civic on urban routes) - lpg I haven't used, and am a bit wary of doing so, but its there to help me reduce costs on a good run.

7. korky Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I would love one .

8. rlbriverside Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Absolutely. well below £10K now. Picked up a one owner 22K miles FSH, ADAS CMBS, 17" for £8K with 12 months MOT and 10 months Tax. (and a full tank of fuel). Couldn't refuse that!! it feels new and is absolutely brilliant. only LPG conversion to sort and all done! (any advice on LPG most welcome).

9. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I'm afraid I don't know the Legend engines but I know that the K series engines run well on LPG.

10. rlbriverside Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

thanks. I'm pretty sure it'll be ok. Valve seats and valve seat regression are the real issue that needs management with honda. It's whether the manifolds are a problem.

Kind Regards

11. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Can you eleborate on your comment about manifolds being a problem ? Are you talking in terms of LPG issues ?

12. rlbriverside Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

yes. In terms of installing the LPG injectors and essentially creating possible fatigue/stress points. Also, compromising the design of the 2 stage inlet manifold. Excuse the following being wordy - but straight from honda. regards.

"The Legend uses a dual-stage intake manifold that is designed to deliver maximum airflow, to the cylinders. The 2-piece cast-aluminum manifold is also very light.Working in concert with the VTEC valve train, the induction system significantly boosts torque across the engine’s full operating range. Internal passages and two butterfly valves commanded by the ECU provide two distinct modes of operation.
    Three cylinders on each bank draw air from only the nearer half of the manifold’s internal chamber, or plenum. The volume of the plenum and the length of inlet passages are tuned to maximise the resonance effect, wherein pressure waves are amplified within each half of the intake manifold at certain RPM ranges. The amplified pressure waves significantly increase cylinder filling and the torque produced by the engine throughout the lower part of its RPM band. Funnel-shaped intake ports—similar to those used on racing engines—are built in at the uppermost end of each intake runner to improve airflow.
    As the benefits of the resonance effect lessen with rising engine speed, the butterfly valves open at 4000 RPM to interconnect the two halves of the plenum, increasing its volume. An electric motor, commanded by the ECU controls the connecting butterfly valves. Now each cylinder draws intake air from the full plenum chamber. The inertia of the mass of air rushing down each intake passage helps draw in more charge than each cylinder would normally ingest. This phenomenon is the same effect produced by a low-pressure supercharger. The inertia effect greatly enhances cylinder filling and the torque produced by the engine at higher RPM."

13. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

LPG injectors don't get installed directly onto manifold, only spuds are drilled into the manifold. The injectors are connected using pipes to the spuds. So stressing the inlet manifold isn't an issue. Many cars use butterflys to created variable length intake, an experienced LPG installer would take all this into account and engineer the solution for installing LPG injectors accordingly.

Last edited: Tuesday 29th Jan, 2013
  14. rlbriverside Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks again for your response. Seems like you have come across this before. i'm currently researching LPG options, (currently Prins and BRC), and wonder if you have come across any legend conversions? My current understanding is that BRC no longer use Keihin injectors, in which case, Prins is the likely option.

15. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

No sorry I haven't come across any Legend conversions. I've done plenty of conversions on other Hondas though :Smile: