Legend/4th Gen Honda Legend sales

Discussion in '4th Generation (2004-2012) [Acura RL]' started by SayamaAccord, Friday 9th Dec, 2011.

1. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Any idea why Honda Legend sales are so much lower than those of Lexus?

If it's an image issue then is it time for Honda to launch the Acura badge in the UK?

Last edited: Friday 9th Dec, 2011
  2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Personally I think Honda should not bring the Acura brand here yet. The conditions are not right .

Lexus launched at the right time in the UK to be established as a prestige brand, they have been very successful in creating a line up to sustain that brand positioning of luxury and ownership experience. It a winner for their customer no wonder they have a high level of repeat customers. So the time factor is well entrenched in Lexus favour. Honda sees the "Brand Honda" name in the UK already as a prestige brand by the pricing of it products alone ,it is clearly the most expensive out of the other big Japanese brands . Coupled with the fact Honda is always a tad lower than Lexus number one position on sustained yearly basis on customer satisfaction index.

In essence it devalues the Honda brand by bring in the Acura brand and then to create a depth in it car range doesn’t make sense. Then there is the Yen it way too strong for completely-knocked down (CKD) for Swindon to assemble .Then is the infrastructure and dealers to build to the Acura standard to emulate the Lexus success. It a tall order and other luxury brand owners are not going to give up their labels for a new upstart.

The hybrid luxury market is dominated by Lexus beating them is a TALL order, which Honda is not ready to take on.

Ichiban likes this.
  3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Sorry didn't answer the original question Legend sales were low due to four major factors, 90% of Legends were bought by senior management or leased cars, what didn't go in favour for the Legends are

Company tax bracket
    Car insurance bracket
    Car VED bracket
    Car emission and fuel consumption

All these factors are nailed and sealed by Lexus as they have a performance hybrid packages, Legend being a very competent and a superbly engineered cars the above four shortfalls never gave it a fighting chance to compete with the rest.

Finally the Honda brand doesn't have the snob value which is so craved for in the big boys club. after all its all about the image not it calibre of the car nor it engineering. That how shallow it is when buying luxury cars for the majority.

4. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

i always fancied a Legend but 3.5 litre engine and auto gearbox just make it impossible to run these days.its just too expensive on petrol.not to mention road tax and insurance.i believe thats what put people off Legend.there is couple of them round here where i live and they look great.

5. Hondas800 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

The thing is if your in the market for a big smoker you would only look at the Merc s class or Lexus, no matter how good the Legend is its still a Honda and I don't mean that in a bad way.

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    well the Legend was never a outright performance toy , other cars have the extra omph which the Legend will never have.

You are right the Legend will never be a smoker or catch me if you can.

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Latest Honda Press release regarding the future expansion of the Acura brand

Honda today confirmed that it would be expanding its premium luxury-performance automobile brand, Acura, into new global growth markets.
    Speaking at the Detroit Motor Show (NAIAS), Takanobu Ito, President and CEO of Honda Motor Co., Ltd, announced that the Acura brand would be expanded to some of the world’s growth markets, such as the United Arab Emirates, Saudi Arabia, Russia and Ukraine.

The demand for large, luxury, performance vehicles in these markets perfectly matches the Acura brand attributes.

It is planned to introduce the Acura brand to the United Arab Emirates and Saudi Arabia by the end of 2013 and to Russia and Ukraine in 2014.

There are no plans to expand the Acura brand into European markets.

8. Azzy Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

there was a legend in the showroom of the dealer I frequent, it was nice to be inside, but (even from a Honda fan) it didn't have the wow factor on the outside it needed, and tbh the 8G Accord came in and was like a slimmed down version of it in some respects - all the toys can be optioned at least and yep peeps just can't get over the snob factor...

9. Dr_D Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

From what I heard the reason that people don't buy legends (apart from that above) - and a major factor, is that it doesn't have an RWD v8 setup.

A lot of people seem to perceive that a true "luxury" car has a huge engine and a load of cylinders.

Or perhaps a large diesel. Honda should have somehow differentiated the Legend, even I guess, just calling it "Legend" and not using H badges (yeah, I know, the "L" is toyota's domain lol) - maybe that would have had an impact.....

For me, owning a Legend is becoming a reality, it runs quite happily on LPG so I can ignore the costs a bit more... and I wanted something a bit more low key, which it is.

10. Legendliving Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

The other aspect is Honda never meant to sell many - they had a target of 400 sales per year, but as has been pointed out elsewhere, even those were hard to shift and went out predominantly as demonstrators or Honda fleet vehicles. It took until late 2010 to sell the first batch of 500 or so built in late 2006/early 2007, so they didn't build any more for us. So with these Legends mileage is the only differentator, don't pay more for a 2009/10 car because if you look at the ticket on the back of the seatbelt you will see how old the car really is!

SayamaAccord likes this.
  11. Dr_D Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

According to form (pun!) Honda only sold 45 of them in the US last year? That makes em rare as rocking horse doings!!!

I've seen my first Legend in my area today - not sure if it was lakeshore silver or just dark silver (bloody English weather took the shine off) - looked awesome ... its the first one I've seen in years on the road (the two blue ones at the stealers don't count as they were stationary!)... friend of mine says he's seen the red one miling about near Sheffield... I bet thats a rare old colour?

12. nsxr Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

staffs
    i have been having honda s for over twenty yrs from Accords to CR-X to S2000 and a 91 NSX , i believe the problem is honda them selves
    they do not bull up thier product like it should , the NSX had help from the great ayrton da silva but it was not even mentioned in the press from what i can remeber , the new legend runs rings around audi and subaru for 4 w d but did they advertise this no. as for a big engine honda have never been brash just correct again no bull like other co.s when the NSX came out it was " oh you can't have a supercar with only a v6 and it drives too easy" now all supercars drive too easy ?? ..i am on the look out for a black early new shape legand :Smile:

Ichiban likes this.
  13. LegendG1 Banned ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I checked re how many 4th Generation's in UK and the grand total of 507 showing as taxed in 2012....... just confirming they are pretty thin on the ground.

14. nsxr Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

staffs
    Wow I thought the NSX was low !
    Do u know how many we're black as I'm after a blk 1
    Paul

15. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    So we need all of these remaining 500 legend members here :Hey:get the word out to them. The more you have the better it is with shared ownership experiences and support.

16. v6Echo Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

LegendG1: Please can you advise me how you found the figure of 507. Thanks.

Last edited: Saturday 3rd Aug, 2013
  17. Legendliving Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

So a few have either bitten the dust or been mothballed? The brake master cylinder recall in 2010/11 was for 563 UK cars at a time when there would have been no new cars left to sell I presume. A couple of years back I wasted an hour or two Googling sales figures and came up with:
    60 demonstrators at launch
    77 sold in 06, 181 in 07, 145 up to November 08, and 90 at an unspecified year to date in 09 which totals 553, The other ten could have been sold at back end of 08 or 09 or in 2010?

That Googling also unearthed an internal Powerpoint presentation used for sales staff at launch which identified the sales target as 400 units p.a and the target market illustrated by a photo of Trevor Eve and described as
    Individualist self assured
    Enjoys driving
    Projects an image of success with independence!

18. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

There is a website called "Howmanyleft.co.uk" which shows by model how many are licensed and SORN.

At the moment shows 513 licensed with 7 on SORN.

The figures are a bit strange at times - they show by year and quarter - but it looks like the maximum ever licensed and on the road was 520, in qtr4 2010.

19. v6Echo Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Many thanks FirstHonda, that site is interesting, spent ages on there looking up all my previous cars including a 1988 Accord. Picking up this Legend in two weeks. Hope you can see the pics, don't really know how to use this forum properly yet, just found it recently after getting obsessed with the Legend. Having owned the Accord for twelve years I have a lot of respect for Honda cars.

13200993. 13200990.

Ichiban likes this.
  20. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

^^A wonderful car...and I'm jealous!

v6Echo likes this.