General honda legend strip down weight loss

Discussion in '4th Generation (2004-2012) [Acura RL]' started by HarveyNSX, Sunday 14th Jun, 2015.

1. HarveyNSX Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England mark lymington
    Love my new 2007 legend. decided not to LPG the car. However I do want to explore the possibility of reducing its weight. e.g. recaro seats.
    Does anyone have any experience in seriously reducing this cars weight to up the MPG and BHP?

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I would concentrate on all the heavy bolts used on the Legend and get titanium bolts you can save a lot of weight by swapping the bolts but with ADAS , SH-AWD auto box units they are heavy beasts so you can't just remove them for lighter options.

Aircon removal will save a few pounds.

3. HarveyNSX Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England mark lymington
    Thank you. Do we know anyone who has attempted to modify this version of the legend?

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I am sure they have mate, it just searching the net and looks at the states. I will focus on this and look for a thread where someone has put the KB1 on a diet.

5. HarveyNSX Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England mark lymington
    haha. i have looked keep ending up with modified Civics and Accords or body upgrades. need the guts ripped out leaving me with that superb engine and a floorpan
    - - - Updated - - -
    I've just completed my first road trip, waterloo, belgium and back. those belgium roads are fast

6. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Maz from Hond-R had made a fair few changes to his Legend. He sold a while ago

- - - Updated - - -
    Well that didn't work huh ..

It's was on the Hond-R Facebook page

Here's some screenshots of the for sale ad for it :-

Screenshot 2015-06-15 09.33.13.

Screenshot 2015-06-15 09.33.39.

ukcl9 and AccordCU2 like this.
  7. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Lighter wheels i heard help a lot but that would mean going aftermarket which can be expensive depending which you go for.

8. vincemince Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

9. Helder_Coelho New Member Getting Started

United Kingdom Hélder Co London
    Hey gents nice to see my car up on the forum :Tongue:
    Im the new owner of maz's legend have been since last year more work been done to it since ☺
    also soon to be supercharged

20141229_100659.

Last edited by a moderator: Wednesday 17th Jun, 2015
    exec, DeviateDefiant, v6Echo and 2 others like this.
  10. timkk Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

@Helder_Coelho really nice car :Smile:. What kind of wind deflectors have you installed? Are they worth it?

11. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

From reading Maz original add they are Mugen wind deflectors.

SpeedyGee likes this.
  12. accordk24 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Ryan Oxford
    Oh i know this car very well. You can't be putting Recaros in it are you crazy? Its a Legend, a cruiser, not a race car. You'll ruin the whole A/C system if you do that too.

13. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    The single thing I'd be dying to do to a KB1 is a manual conversion - I've only seen it done once before, and it was 2 years ago I read about it so I can't remember any of the details. I can remember it was an Acura RL though.

Anyway, an Acura TL Type-S manual box is the only potential J-Series match I can think of - and it could simply not bolt-up, the axle geometry might be out or whatever else - there's a reason we don't hear of yanks doing it left, right and centre. It would also involve a shifter box (CL9 probably the best donor), probably custom length shifter cables, then then only way I can think to work engine management would be a piggyback ECU or some full-blown custom set-up like Haltech.

If you're putting a tuning solution into, you also get a remap - which will unlock plenty more hidden ponies :Laughing:

Biggest hindrance to the KB1 is the lack of options out there, the engine has tons of potential in itself.

14. accordk24 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Ryan Oxford
    Yeah theres only one company who do a mappable ECU for the KB1, i can't remember who it is though.