General Honda Legend Vs 8th Generation Accord.

Discussion in '4th Generation (2004-2012) [Acura RL]' started by toffee_pie, Sunday 25th May, 2014.

1. toffee_pie Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Eric
    Hi All,

I am considering changing my car, I have had a blast with My CL9 2.4 Exec but its up on autotrader and I am looking into cars to replace it with, How does the Legend compare to the 8th Generation? totally different animal?

I seen a 09 Legend in Stockport and its for sale ages, has anyone thoughts on this? what are the check list items to look out for on this car?

And fuel...yes I know its like a H2 but someone here said they got 30mpg around town and 50mpg on long runs?

surely not...

Sorry for all these questions :Tongue:

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I think those were the cost equivalent MPG figures for a LPG converted Legend.

By cost converted, I mean for same cost in petrol, running on LPG returns those figures.

As for the difference, it is a different beast and you'd have to drive it to see for yourself. I only hear really good stuff from current Legend owners and on my personal list of potential next cars, I've got the Legend sat at number 1 and an 8th Generation sat at number 2.

3. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

30mpg is a bit optimistic i think but Legend owners can confirm that.
    I would have Legend over my 8th Generation without thinking twice if i could afford to run it.

4. toffee_pie Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Eric
  5. Blues Legend Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

That's not a bad price, if it's genuine & straight.

Put it this way; you're unlikely to lose all 7 bag & compared to the depreciation on anything vaguely equivalent, it pays for a LOT of squirt.

I'd say you're making a rational choice on the car. But you're probably still mad. But I'm an accountant, not a psychiatrist..

6. toffee_pie Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Eric
    I am mad, life is short, sometimes i feel like going to whole way and just doing it.

7. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

For the economy that the legend produces I'd rather buy the 8th Generation and have better handling and better looks. I'm sure the legend is way better for longer journeys plus the interior does look lush but the out side looks ugly.

Just test drive both and let us know what you think. I don't think I've seen any legends on the roads by me so it does have the rare factor I suppose.

8. toffee_pie Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Eric
    I think the legend is waning tbh, I am going to drive a 2.4 8th Generation and also a is250., 09/08 years.

The legend is massively appealing but the overheads will be substantial.!

9. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

You could probably keep the Legend for a year and probably break even at £7,195, seems to be an excellent price.

10. Blues Legend Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Have you tried SH-AWD?

AccordCU2 likes this.
  11. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

^^I'm no expert on the differences between an 8th Generation Accord and the Legend, but based on what you and others have said...

The Legend is the top of the Honda range, and this one looks to be at a very competitive price. Some questions:

- Will you get the chance to own one again?
    - Have you written down the pros and cons of each? Is one more practical and one more emotional? Which is more important?? REALLY?!
    - If you bought an 8th Generation Accord and then saw a Legend, do you think you'd feel regret? Sort of like the girlfriend you dumped and then saw a few months later looking great?!
    - I wouldn't have thought the running costs (potential repairs excepted) would be THAT different...and what a car to own...:eek:

I'd say don't talk yourself out of the Legend until you have utterly convinced yourself that it won't work for you...

12. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I didn't realise it had it to be honest. Even with it. Its still a big luxury barge with silly MPG. Is it good round the twistys?

If I was doing heavy millage and had deep pockets I might consider one. If its Hondas flagship im gussing its better sound proofed and better all round quality so wouldn't mind seeing hiw it compares to an 8th Generation.

13. Sam-Legend Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Good evening! Been lurking on this site for sometime and just joined.
    I have always been a huge fan of Honda cars and have the pleasure of owning past & present many honda cars and many other brands in between.

To name a few I had Prelude 2.2 VTi ,JDM DC2 Integra Type-R, Civic FN2 & FD2 Type-R, DC5 Type-R, S2000 , and had many Honda generations of Accords even the Hooligan Type-R , NSX , BMW M3 , Mercedes E320 , Legend KB1 4th Generation.

So as you can see from the above I do love my cars lol , apresent time I own the mercedes E320 and the Legend. The main reason I have gone through so many cars and now owning the more luxury tier cars are I am now married with children so the merc and the legend are more suited for the family needs. Right now that is out of the way I have been reading the Honda Legend threads on here from time to time and this thread has taken a interest for me as it seems that many people really underestimate the Legend not realizing its full potential.
    I can say if you do decide to buy a Legend you will not regret it, but make sure you find the right one and do your homework first on what to look out for service history is a must and don't be afraid to travel to get the right one, I live in the North East and traveled to London to buy mine which was on a 56 plate full Honda Service History and Ultra Low miles . The previous owner was very elderly and rarely driven the car and he past away leaving the car in his will to a friend so the guy wanted to sell it on , guess he didn't realize the what he had or what it was worth and got the Legend for a bargain price.

To give you a idea between the Merc E320 & the Legend comparison the E320 is built better if feels more solidly built better materials such as the dash and layout, the Legend does not fall behind too much because the leather seats are of higher quality and feels more luxury , the interior has so many gadgets and packed with technology.
    I use the Legend as everyday car doing school runs etc and so I will be doing a lot of stop go driving and I am getting approx 25mpg long motorway cruise you will be getting approx 30-34 MPG at best spending about 50-60 pounds on petrol per week. Insurance aged 39 £320 fully comp . so judge for yourself if this car is a money pit or not.

I can give you some advice though not many people are clued up on how to service these Legend not even Honda service departments seems to be clueless this is especially true when it comes to the correct fluids to go in the transmissions , sh-awd diff oils etc. So if you do plan to get a Legend I would advise you to try to learn yourself fluid changing which is not too difficult. I also did check out your link of the Legend that has taken your eye does look ok , but please be aware that the this car has been advertised for awfully long time without being sold and also is lacking the parking sensors front and rear , I think this is a must for the Legend as the car is very long and judging distance can become difficult so if you do decide to go for this one you have to be prepared to buy and fit aftermarket parking sensors, let me know if you need any more info or help

legend-ary, AccordCU2 and toffee_pie like this.
  14. Sam-Legend Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Just wondering have you ever driven the Legend or the Accord , I can assure you that the Legend is a very capable car on the twisty roads and excels on the motorways.
    As for the Legend being ugly this may be true with the US Acura RL counterpart buy I think the Honda Legend Japanese version although looks subtle its a car with the personality of a wolf in sheep's clothing performance wise and luxury and comfort to put a lot of German luxury cars to shame.
    As for the 8th Generation Accord yes I agree that it does look great visually for me personally I take the Legend every time, either way 8th Generation Accord or Legend I am sure Toffie_Pie would not be disappointed either car

15. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Hi Sam, fully agree with everything you have said.
    People do seriously under estimate the Legend.

Good to have another informed Legend owner join up, please do hang about and take part in the Legend (and other) discussions.

BTW why don't you pop over to our Club Garage section and post a few pics of your cars :Smile:

Last edited: Tuesday 27th May, 2014
  16. toffee_pie Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Eric
    I stuck down a deposit on the is250, the guy above had brilliant comments on the legend, i still think it was a bit OTT for me.

the one that is for sale ages, it also doesn't have honda s/h, just independent, it might go against it.

17. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Congrats on the Lexus Eric, hope she lives up to the CL9

Legends are pretty rare and exclusive, people that want a Legend want to know it's been well cared for, any that seem to fall short on this front will always be difficult to move on.

That said if one has the ability to thoroughly check a car over, an example such as the one we are talking about may prove to be a bargain buy.

toffee_pie likes this.
  18. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Hi @Sam-Legend and welcome aboard.
    Thank you for a great first post. You have a good balanced view and it was a pleasure to read.
    It would be great to see your Legend in the Club Garage and to have you join in on discussions.
    Once again, welcome to HK :Hey:

19. Sam-Legend Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I do hope I didn't say anything that has put you off the Legend you had a eye on because that was not my intent Honda Service history is a bonus ofc but does not mean ones without are neglected , as stated in my previous message from own personal experience from Honda UK they sometimes seem clueless also when it comes to the Legend's hence why I have gained knowledge on maintaining my Legend myself. BTW grats on the Lexus , forgot to mention my wife had one of these in my first post so sort of missed that one off my list of cars I owned in the past cracking car! I know you put down a deposit on the Lexus so you must of been keen but I am curious did you ever or consider test driving any Legend prior on deciding on the Lexus , if so would be interesting to hear your thoughts on why you choose the Lex over the Legend.

20. mattyg Premium Member Club Supporter

Hi Folks.

I agree what has been said about Honda not really knowing how to look after the Legend, I have taken an extended warranty on my car and I choose to get it looked after outside of the Honda network to my exact requirements with genuine Honda parts. The Legends attraction to me is its bomb proof reliability, exclusivity, and handling for a barge of it size. This KB1 is my third Legend and every one previously has been brilliant so I am happy to accept its foibles. My father in law who has owned solely s class mercs for the last 20 years took my car for a service the other day and he swears that the Legend is quieter than his 58 plate s class. The s class is a great car and I have driven his hard many a time 5.5 litre v8 0-60 5.6 seconds. It all sounds great on paper except the first corner you come to you disappear in a cloud of brake dust and wallowy wobbliness. That's where the Legend comes into its own keep it under power and the SHAWD system is amazing it makes it handle like a small hatchback. Ok there is no getting away from it it is spectacularly bad on fuel and its dear to tax but prices are low and LPG works well on this car if converted properly. Also the gadgets you get are endless some are over complicated I think and some are gadgets for gadget sake but the Legend is a great place to spend time in. Its a real shame you can't get them over here any more.

Matt