Facelift Model Honda mechanic found the annoying rattle

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by Denso23, Saturday 9th Jul, 2016.

1. Denso23 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Denso23 London
    when I bought the car It was very quiet bar one annoying rattle. I left the car with Honda dealer who took it out for extended investigation to try and identify the fault.

I really thought it was coming from the passenger side door. However I have been proved wrong, the Honda mechanic who investigated it correctly found the fault as the sunglasses holder in the car. When ever you lower it the noise stops but when you put it back up it makes noise.

Honda mentioned it might help by putting some weight in it to reduce noise or to replace it to stop the noise.

My concern is if I replace it, could things get worse as sometimes things never go back together as they where initially built?

Can any shed how difficult to replace the sunglasses holder is? Does a lot of bits need unclipping?

2. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Put a thin piece of self adheisive felt on the lip of the holder or where ever the holder is making contact with the car. As the holder vibrates it will then be cushioned so not rattle anymore.

Nels, Denso23 and Ichiban like this.
  3. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Nice solution @Racy Jace :likeit:

4. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Honda use the stuff on the back of door cards to stop them rattling so I've used the same principle to solve other problems. My old company use to supply the felt stuff on rolls to johnson control that used it on car parts too. I have even used the stuff on the flaps of an external extraction vent on the side of my house to stop them rattling at night.

5. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Is it me or does the 8th Generation seem to have rattle issues?

They certainly don't seem to make cars like the used to!

6. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

My 8th Generation was fine to be honest. Even my swindon CR-V is quiet with no rattles.

7. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Both my 8th Generation Accord and current CR-V are rattle free. Famous last words...

:Grin:

Racy Jace likes this.
  8. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Mine rattled, but it has got nothing to do with the initial build quality: one of the holding lips of the compartment that contain the owners manual, insurance and car documents in the glove box is broken. I believe by the previous owner/or his mechanic by changing the pollen filter. I have put a very little Buteak on that place and it's solved.

9. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Went to see an 8th Generation the other, it was beauifully built. Only disappointing thing was a few plasticky bits here and there, soft touch, but I like them wrapped in some materials. Also some of the ergonomics is poor and way way too much buttons.

10. julekasMobilek Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Lithuania Julius Vilnius
    Its like a pilots cabin. Looks so techy and nerdy, which i like :Grin:
    Also you do not need to use any of those buttons, the most important are on the steering wheel and volume up/down knob :Grin:

exec and i-DSI like this.
  11. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    There's indeed a lot of buttons, but as Julekas points out: the most important are on the steering wheel.
    What about the ergonomics do you judge as poor? I drive mine for hours and those seats are made in heaven asking me.

exec likes this.
  12. julekasMobilek Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Lithuania Julius Vilnius
    I agree, those armcharis in the front are awesome! i do not like any other car if i have to drive it, always thinking, how mine is better and how i want to get back quickly into my car and drive :Grin:

exec likes this.
  13. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Maybe I'm getting old, as I used to love lots of buttons etc, but now I like clean, minimal, simple designs.

Regarding ergonomics, like the placement of the window switches, they are inside door handles, fingers get stuck and they don't fall to hand. Having loads of buttons also isn't good, have to remember where everything is, the steering wheel is also very busy with lots of buttons. But I guess this is what is expected on a modern car with lots of toys. My 6th Generation feels very spartan in comparison. There were some surprising gadgets on the car like seat massage and refrigerated gloveboxes etc.

14. Smokingman Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom John Lincoln
    Hi.
    My 8th Generation Accord has one annoying rattle, and that is the silver bar on the cover for the two compartment drink holder, just rattles when closed, I really need to sort this out any ideas? Other than that no rattles.

John.

15. Nels Moderator Staff Team

My 8th Generation has a rattle...The coins in the dashboard compartment.

John Dickson likes this.
  16. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I found the sunglasses holder rattled very slightly on my last 8th Generation but more often than not it was the glasses rattling inside the holder. Not on the holder itself but the legs of the glasses rattling on the frame when they get a bit loose.

As @i-DSI says those seats are amazing. The best ever I have found in a car.

bijomaru likes this.
  17. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I have a 4year old 8th Generation and no rattles after 35K miles. Super quite.

18. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    A lot of the supermarkets sell packs of little felt sticky pads for a few quid. I use these a lot to stop rattles.