Pre-Purchase Honda Mobilo

Discussion in 'Imports & Worldwide' started by Charleynokia, Monday 15th Dec, 2014.

1. Charleynokia New Member Getting Started

Hey all, I am looking to buy a Honda this week, ASAP for the wife to drive for work. I just looked in the categories for forum, family, sports etc, but unfortunately, the car I am thinking of isn't listed. Can anyone help? It's a 2002 Honda Mobilio 1.5 Here is a Wikipedia link to it. It'll be the gen 1 I am after.

Honda Mobilio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I haven't seen the car yet, but how do I know if the VTEC is working? The page says there may be 2 engine variants fitted, so how do I know if the power is where it's supposed to be, with a I-DSI and a VTEC one?

2. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    At the moment we only have UK models listed on the index, but we're having a discussion at the moment about an imports section to list other models, watch this space on that one :Smile: I'll move this thread when we get it sorted.

As it's a L-Series engine chances are it uses a VTEC-E derivative, that's running on 3 valves per cylinder until a set RPM and then activating the fourth, it's not traditional VTEC with two cam profiles and any kind of big noticeable gain. If the engine pulls like it should, with no knocks, bangs or hesitation I wouldn't worry.

The I-DSI will have two spark plugs per cylinder, and tbh, most of them have "I-DSI" written across the cover :Laughing:

If you end up buying the car, don't forget to share pics, we love JDM Hondas around these parts.

moob likes this.
  3. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Not seen the Mobilio model before but looks a nice interesting car. Will be really practical and handy.

All VTECs I have driven have a definite point where the higher end performance of the VTEC system starts kicking in. all were 2.0 Accords and the change over point is arouind 3,000rpm you feel a definite surge.

I notice @DeviateDefiant has beaten me in replying and has given a much better description of how it works than I could.

Like he says look at the engine cover all VTECs have "VTEC" stamped on the engine cover.

Like he says if it feels like it should with no knocks etc then it will be working ok. VTEC's claim to fame is there has never been a reported failure so it is a reliable system.
    - - - Updated - - -
    We need to see loads more JDM Honda on here :Hooray:

4. Charleynokia New Member Getting Started

Ok, thanks for the replies guys, I've found a youtube video of the car, this one is in New Zealand I think, but the video shows a walk around. Apparently, the one I am hoping to check out is the only one in the UK, and by the looks of it, it most probably is. I've never heard of it either. The video shows it to have electric opening side doors. Now THAT is a cool thing.

The car I want to see has 136k miles, but says has fully history, and 2 UK owners. It's also chain driven, not belt.

5. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

I've looked at the car in a bit of detail myself in the past, I love all the JDM boxes. I found the listing for the one you're considering on eBay, it's listed on some there as £795 and others £995.

Every guy selling a rare car claims to have the only one in the UK, they're certainly rare, but it's not the only one.

2012-07-01-159. 2001-HONDA-STEPWAGON-2-0-AUTO-FACELIFT-8-SEATER-MPV-WITH-GAS-LPG-CONVERSION. b01b5032-0601-4681-8148-ac4f96f369a4.

6. numpty67 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

7. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Are you sure it will be Miles ? and not Kilometres ?

I'm just wondering how they would have changed the dash to show miles.

8. Charleynokia New Member Getting Started

It's what they've put in the advert, 138,000 miles, so don't know yet.

I was thinking, if they put the speedo converter on, and it slows down the speedo from KPH to MPH, then that will also slow down the odometer right? So 138 k on the odometer WOULD be reading 138 k miles?
    - - - Updated - - -
    Hey deviate, there's only 2 that I've found on ebay, a blue one with 138 k mile for 995, and a white one which is 3999. Which other ones have you found? HAve you got the links to them? If the blue one is listed as 795, then I would get that and save 200 quid.

9. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

I'm not sure. So the converter just re-proportions the signal so that the needle shows MPH correctly ?

However, the accumulative mileage figure upto that point would have been in kilometres right ?

So wouldn't the "mileage" accumulator record slower after the converter is added ?

10. Charleynokia New Member Getting Started

Yes, the converter would make the speedo read slower, AND the odometer. UNLESS, they didn't fit it. I don't know yet. Have messaged the seller and left voicemail, but still no reply.

I have just found this -

Another odd rare jap import. And I notice the factory forgot to cut the driver's side rear passenger door!!! haha

11. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Legally you must convert the odometer to read in MPH for it to go through it's initial MOT here, what almost all importers do is have it converted to miles from when it is imported. So for example, a car's imported on 80,000km, it now reads 120,000. That's 50,000 miles originally when it was imported, and 40,000 miles since, so 90k total. It's confusing but that's the normal practice. You can check the MOT history to see what the odometer reading was when it was first imported and work it out from there, if the seller doesn't know.

I didn't find any more for sale now mate, just hunted down pics of some to show you others in the country. That blue one was listed at £795 last night on eBay, now it's showing £995 again - unless I had a serious brain fart.

The S-MX isn't quite as rare, there's a few more in the country, but still few about altogether. @numpty67 above can tell you all about them, if you look in this signature, you'll see he owns one :Smile:

Attached Files:

12. Charleynokia New Member Getting Started

OK, went to the trader to check out the Mobilio. There were like 70+ cars in the lot, most were parked bumper to bumper, and yes, the Mobilio was in the fffaaarrrr corner. Took over 45 mins to get it out, and the ABS light was on. Also, when setting off, there was a slight judder, Couldn't take it out for a proper test drive cos it was school finishing time, so too much traffic, I did try floor it a bit to make sure the gears went up and down ok, but has less than 50 meters between cars, and the fuel light was on, as usual. A slight touch of the brake pedal and it was head into windshield sudden, so obviously a brake problem there.

This was a basic model I think, it had electric folding mirrors, AC, but NO electric side doors, the rear headrests were missing, the rear wiper was not working, was just stuck half way up. The VTEC badge was missing from the rocker cover, just an empty recess. Rear bumper had a couple of light knocks, paint flaking off due to damage. This thing had been in the wars, it won, but not unscathed!!

I got price down to 900, but I said I wanted the rear wiper sorting, and also the ABS problem fixing before buying it. I asked a garage about the ABS light, and they said Honda's are prone to ABS pump problems, and I should forget about this car.

What do you think?

13. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Hondas aren't prone to ABS pump failure, that was just a specific problem on Accord ICTDI engines, however, the ABS light is a worry, unless they fix it for you.

14. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

I agree with @SpeedyGee that the ABS light is a concern, a bleed might sort it, but if it's the module it would likely need to come from Japan - long as there's stock, @Holdcroft Honda can get it for you if needed.

ABS modules aren't a common problem.

Forgive me here, but do you drive automatics often? They're normally configured to have very sensitive brake pedals with a light feel compared to manual models.

Personally, quite a few red flags for me. The mileage is high, quite a few bits to source from Japan to get her perfect, minor body work needed. I can see you spending the cost again to get everything perfect.

That said, it is probably the only immediate route to getting a Mobilo, and there's nothing major there to sort out really, just pains in the bum.

15. Charleynokia New Member Getting Started

Exterior cosmetics are really a concern, it's going to be driven in London, so I can't see it being too long before it gets scratched, scraped or dented in the first 3 months.

I have driven autos before, I previously had a Merc A210 Evolution auto. The 1st gear drum desintegrated while I coasted along in a car park!! The brakes on that were not very sharp.

When the guys were getting the car out, they were braking hard, probably unintentionally due to the ABS light being on trying to get it to go out.

I tried everything else out. All the lights work ok, ac is really cold. Mirrors and windows work.

Only concern is the ABS light and the jerk when setting off. Maybe the ABS light is down to a speed senssor perhaps? And the jerk, maybe a worn engine mount?

Would the ABS pump be the same as from a Jazz? And the ABS wheel sensors also? How about the engine mount?

16. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Of the automatics I've driven, it's one thing they shared in common. Either way, there's definitely some underlying brake issues there either way because of the ABS light.

Yes, it could very possible be VSS. Quite a common cause.

Engine mount is possible, it could be drivetrain related, or just as simple as ARB drop-links, bushes, or a suspension component. It's very hard to call without you spending more time with the car and trying to find the specific conditions under which it happens.

Yes, it's entirely possible that many components are shared with the Jazz, Insight, and other models, if you buy the car, get me the VIN number across by PM, I can look into the part numbers for whatever bits you need and try to a bit of cross-referencing :Smile:

17. Charleynokia New Member Getting Started

The 1st line should have read the exterior cosmetics are NOT a concern. Can't edit?!?!
    - - - Updated - - -
    Ok,thanks guys. Will wait for the dealer to ring back tomorrow.

18. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

There's a couple of restrictions on new members, they ease up pretty fast, read here.

19. jd1959 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Zack Kilkenny
    Just ran across this and if I can be so bold as to chime in,
    The CVT judder is a common problem (mine included at 76k km) with the start clutches, its usually sorted out with changing the fluid (Honda CVT ONLY) there is a TSB on burnishing the clutches I'll see if I can find it saved somewhere on the computer. With proper maintenance they seem to last well I'm up to 153,000km now with not a hint of an issue. Otherwise from what I read its a specialized job to replace them and while the box is out of the car and split you should through a few other really expensive parts at it as well.

No idea as to the ABS, the only problems I have ever had on Honda ABS is the mid 90's nitrogen accumulator types which in past experience always wind up leaking.

Other than that I love my Mobilio its is quirky, fun, very economic and practical. I would highly suggest the electric doors if you can find a decent example of one, I keep threatening my kids to put ejector seats in mine to make the school run more exciting.

I have good luck with Auto parts online - car parts, tyres, wheels, oils - PartSale.eu for listing parts by frame number the Honda catalog is in Japanese but you can search by drawings. Many of the Mobilio engine and break parts are directly from the Jazz/Fit with some exceptions in suspension and obviously body work.

Good luck and hope all goes well.
    Zack

DeviateDefiant likes this.
  20. jd1959 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Zack Kilkenny
    Had a look at the ABS modulator part no 57110-SCC-010 looks like it is specific to the Mobilio, but maybe some of the other folks here can cross reference.