Off-Topic Honda needs a reality check

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Ichiban, Tuesday 11th Aug, 2015.

1. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    That just confirms what we already know. I blame Honda UK for screwing things up, and only pushing homemade models.

3. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

^^Agree.

I was impressed with the Mazda range when I was looking.

Well specified, well priced, well made...and more than three cars in their range, including a 2 seater sports car (we don't need an S2000, obviously) an MPV (no market for those, clearly) and a 4-door mid-sized saloon which they must import just for vanity as we all know there is no UK market for one.

:brickwall::brickwall::brickwall:

Zebster likes this.
  4. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    I must say, I drove the new shape Mazda 6 with their skyactive engine a couple of years ago when I was in Australia, it was really quite nice. It was not as nice as the 9th Generation Accord I drove, it was not as comfortable or as quiet, but if I can't find a decent 8th Generation, I am tempted. The 9th Generation trounced it in my eyes in terms of comfort and luxury, but we can't get them here. The mazda outperformed the Accord however in power.

5. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    I love the styling of the current crop of Mazda's, they all look striking and sporty and more expensive then they are. The Mazda6 is a great looking car and the interior design is also another plus point. The only thing that would put me off is the quality of the bodywork, 97+ onwards Mazda's all suffer from bad rust issues, I can only hope it has changed on these new models since they bought themselves out of Ford's management and back into Japanese hands.

I'm happy to see them succeed, they've done a lot of work on their range despite having limited resources and finances.

6. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

IMHO the UK market needs manufacturers like Mazda, Subaru, Citroen - and Honda - to offer something different.

I'm happy to see any manufacturer that is willing to take the fight to VAG and BMW do well... :Smile:

On a slightly different note, I was interested to see that Citroen have now 'spun-off' the DS range as a separate brand - no mention of Citroen on the new adverts or on the badges on the cars. That's a gamble I guess, but demonstrates a certain confidence. Well done I say - and the DS range is at least interesting!

John Dickson and exec like this.
  7. Nighthawk Guest

One thing I have to give Citroen is how comfortable their cars are to drive, Citroens have nearly always had a nice smooth ride and its nice to see they havent lost that side of things, and I agree, the DS range is different indeed.

exec and FirstHonda like this.
  8. nsxer Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

great to hear a jap company doing well ... considering the mess they were in and Ford had to come in and bail em out
    their current cars are nicely styled and there is something for everyone in the range. my neighbour has the mazda6 estate and its impressive to look at. he really likes it too and he knows about cars
    another mate has the cx5 and really likes it. averaging over 42mpg in town driving conditions and its the petrol unit

HUK are a shower of barstewards ... they are completely clueless. the last several years with little to offer bar 3 or 4 models was monumentally insane and to a lot of people the damage has been done
    The new CTR is being heavily critiscised on its price to the majority of people ... now us that follow Honda know the r&d etc that has gone into this car but i don't believe HUK has done itself any favours in assessing this market segement and pitching it at the right price.

The blame lies on their door step and WELL done to mazda. certainly a car i may consider in the future on the basis of the current carry on with our beloved H

9. Nighthawk Guest

Drive the new Mazda 6 if you get a chance, its quieter than an 8th Generation and has a good amount of power. The petrols are economical as well.

Definetely still on my list if I can't find a nice 8th Generation when the bank manager is happy with me

10. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    ^ My cousin brother has the previous generation 6 which I was passenger in once and it was extremely quiet inside, it was only until I got out I realised it was a diesel. Obviously lots of soundproofing is used, but it was very quiet and refined inside, was nice car, the quality on the new 6 is supposed to be a lot better so I can only imagine the improvements.

Also agree with the DS range, they are nice cars, it would be cool if they did a new C6, that was a lovely looking car and its good to see a luxury car doing what it should which is supreme comfort.

Just imagine what Honda could do if they got their heads out of their backside, they have all the engineers, resources and finances other manufacturers can only dream of, I truly believe they can be the best of the best if they wanted to, but for whatever reason they have been underachieving for a long time now, they should take a leaf out of Mazda's book.

11. Nighthawk Guest

Completely agree mate, I also think Honda could pull this back and be at top of the tables again if they wanted to. Cars like the Mazda 6, Toyota Avensis, VW Passat, Skoda Octavia etc show that the motorists of UK still like their big family cars.

12. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    ^ I guess the only problem is all those cars have high fleet sales, some mostly all fleet sales, so with Honda's customers have to vote with their own wallets.

13. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Hyundai are bringing out a new Genesis which is supposed to be very nice but the price point is too high and badge snobbery will prevail.

14. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

As pointe out above if Honda got off their backsides, pitched the CTR at the right price then they will fly off the shelves, even with that spoiler/wing, having briefly seen one, I actually quite like it.

But its the Accord they killed off, if all the other major companies can have a large family car, why not Honda, heck, even a new Accord Type-R, if BMW can shift M sports and M3's I'm sure Honda could do the same.

15. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Was the Accord making a profit for Honda, or perhaps a better thing to ask is was the Accord making enough profit?

16. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    If it wasn't, then why wasn't it ? It's not like it's a bad car, so that's down to poor marketing then, not poor product.

Nighthawk likes this.
  17. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

The Accord is still available in Japan, albeit a hybrid, and is among popular cars in America, why not Europe where it can compete with euro trash. That said importing them from Japan is an expensive job, isnt there a factory a little closer to Europe they could be built at, even if it wasnt Swindon. Spain, France where ever, it would be cheaper to assemble them closer than Import them, and I doubt quality would suffer. Heck one of my mothers old Nissans was built in Spain.

18. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    You know that just got me thinking that an excellent marketing tactic that Honda could do is open up a factory in Germany and build the Accord there. Then the media wouldn't be able to criticise it without criticising the German cars also!

FirstHonda and Nighthawk like this.
  19. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom nobody zoned
    I've never really looked at Mazda before, and I was surprised to find that they do not have a plant anywhere in Europe, all cars are imported from Japan (according to this article dated July 2013). So Honda does have a very strange way of looking at Europe, having a plant in the UK, but doing little else.

20. Nighthawk Guest

Yup, all Mazdas are built in Hiroshima and shipped worldwide. They were founded in 1920 as a company so have been around for a while. The rust issues are a concern however, no idea how their newer cars handle it. At least Hondas don't rust like mad but then again, built in Swindon, I imagine they use extra rust protection due to our climate.