Pre-Purchase Honda newbie

Discussion in '1st Generation (2004-2011)' started by s60r, Saturday 23rd Aug, 2014.

1. s60r Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

jas West Sussex
    Hi everyone....

Thought I would say hello. Picked up our 09 FR-V yesterday. 2.2 I-CDTI in Sparkling graphite 41,000 miles lovely condition. It is slightly noisy at low speed and on tick over so I will be using the 2 year Honda approved warranty to investigate this. I have been doing some reading and it may be DMF related? We have 4 children and 2 dogs, the eldest 2 are boys and rarely come with us these days, we were finding our Ford Galaxy too big, so we downsized to the FR-V.

We love it so far, but I will get to the bottom of the clatter on tick over and the squeaky clutch. Interestingly, our Galaxy wouldn't run on Tesco diesel at all but thought I would try it in the Honda. Before the Tesco stuff went in we were averaging 47 MPG on the trip back from the dealership. After 50 miles today it is showing 38!! I appreciate it is all local pottering but i'm convinced Tesco diesel is really bad!

I will take some pictures and get them up.... I am active on a few other forums, and always modify my cars, but I will try to resist it with the FR-V as it seems the clutch and DMF won't enjoy it.

:Smile:

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Welcome aboard Jas.

From my limited knowledge of DMFs I'm of the opinion that once the clutch us engage the DMF should make any noise. Although thinking about it I guess any broken or damaged springs in the DMF would rattle even after full clutch engagement.

The I-CDTI engine needs regular (6K) oil changes. And you'll be better off sticking to quality diesel, rather than the watered down Tescos stuff :Smile:

3. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Welcome to the club @s60r, using the warranty is a good idea as you won't end up out of pocket. I'd stay well clear of supermarket fuel, I stick in some quality diesel for BP or Shell and then take her for a prolonged blast down the motorway at 70mph to help clear out accumulated carbon deposits.

The clutch is always considered a consumable part in cars, but with the I-CTDI it wears quicker than any other Honda I'm aware of - you truly are likely to "consume" one after 6 figure miles :Laughing: Given the age and low mileage I would be very surprised if the clutch or DMF is infact the issue. Either way you have the peace of mind from the warranty, let Honda have a look :Smile:

4. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Welcome to HK @s60r. :welcome:
    As stated by Speedy, oil changes are crucial for the I-CDTI.
    Enjoy your new ride.

5. s60r Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

jas West Sussex
    Many thanks for the welcome.

My car also has 6k oil changes so I will do the FR at the same time. Looking back through the history I see honda have used both 5w 30 and 0w 30 what do you guys recommend on the I-CDTI?

Will take it in to my local honda dealer and see if they think it is noisy.... I could get a quick sound clip up when I post some pictures later today. Always difficult as I have no reference point....mine could be normal but I'm hoping not as it is pretty agricultural!! :Smile:

6. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Hello and :welcome:
    OW-30 is perfect for I-CTDI engines.
    Looking forward to pics.

7. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Welcome to the club hope you get the noise sorted.
    Sometimes when driving my typeS I get a screech when I let the clutch up fast in first I was told it was the release bearing and to just drive it until it goes then have the whole lot replaced... That was 8 years ago and I'm still waiting for it to go. A member of a previous club I was part of had similar on his Accord and he drove it for about the same time as I have then sold it. As far as he was aware it was still going strong. So that shows how resilient Honda workmanship is.

8. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Same mine buddy, had a screeching clutch release bearing, since I bought the car at 67K nearly 5 years. It got quieter and quieter as time went on. These days I don't hear it all. Self healing Honda Lol

9. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
    Hello and welcome, new myself here only having our FR-V for a couple of months. Clutch pedal is squeaky on mine, seams to be a common problem :-/ but one I can live with.