General Honda NSX

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hondream, Wednesday 4th Nov, 2015.

1. hondream Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Simon Walsall
  2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    One day she will be mine.

hondream likes this.
  3. Karmadrome Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Skip Woking
    hondream likes this.
  4. hondream Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Simon Walsall
    Karmadrome likes this.
  5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  6. Karmadrome Premium Member Club Supporter

Other companies have other systems available, I think even AVO have an offerirng.

7. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

I was going to order one - really I was - but then I saw the CR-V and there was no contest...:rasta:

8. Karmadrome Premium Member Club Supporter

It was the magic seats that swung the deal finally, wasn't it?

9. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Actually it was the Swindon build quality...:Laughing:

Karmadrome likes this.
  10. hondream Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Simon Walsall
    I get the impression (from people's comments) that the Swindon build quality is not the same as that is Japan....(correct me if i'm wrong)
    So why can't we in the UK match the build quality that seems to exist in Japan?

Karmadrome likes this.
  11. Karmadrome Premium Member Club Supporter

This is purely opinion from having worked internationally.
    It's the work ethic and the mentality of the workers IMO. , what once was a career has become 'just another job' where as in Japan you are expected to love the company in some respects and work hard for the betterment of the company and through the company society as a whole. The Japanese have a specific word for this.... That I've utterly forgotten because I'm meant to be lighting fireworks. Sorry.
    Most British workers do their job role as written in their contracts and with the minimum effort that can be expected and that's it. "You can expect me to work, but you can't expect me to care"
    Hope that makes vague sense.

FirstHonda likes this.
  12. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

^^There's nothing scientific or tangible from my perspective @hondream - but my Swindon built CR-V isn't as well finished as my Japan built Accord was IMHO.

As an example, the door fit on the current CR-V sometimes needs adjustment at the dealer straight from the factory. To me, that is just bizarre...

BTW, I would also say that my CR-V is generally very well made - better than most other marques - just not as perfect as a Japanese built car. Probably...

13. chunkymonkey Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Gary Lincs
    Not sure if everyone will agree with this but in my opinion many British workers feel downtroden, this leads to the feeling of why should i care they don't about me. Its a shame that some may take this attitude at one time this country was a world leader now it is a shadow of its former self which i find very sad.

14. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

^^ It IS sad @chunkymonkey but I'm not sure why British workers should feel like that.

We still have some of the most generous working conditions in the world, after all...:Unknown:

15. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Well try saying that to my director.
    He wants job done fast and quality but he pays misery wages comparing to other trades in our industry so attitude was feck you will do our 8 hours and whatever happen in those 8 hours.

Not until recently when 2 of the best prospects left to work for rival company and the rest of the workforce was on the brink to do the same he changed his attitude.
    Now wages,Christmas bonus etc have been revised.
    Why let this things happen in the first place?
    Happy workforce care more and will do the job with pleasure if they got something to show for their efforts.

16. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Swindon used to produce top cars, I can't fault the build in my Accord, but it was made when the plant and everything was oversawn by the Japanese overlords.

You only need to look at the past to see the quality of British car manufacturing, British Leyland is a prime example, I don't think UK workers can complain about working conditions, we have some of the best conditions and pay in the world and I bet its better than in Japan.

17. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    It not as much as manufacturing practices that is the concern its the overall car qaulity which is assembled with locally sourced components. Swindon has the same high qaulity assembly line same process and procedures which are mirrored across all their factories. Honda embarked on globalisation through localisation mantra since it inceptions and to make cars in a country they have to select local vendors. Honda has mega strict vendor verification process they embed their own staff at the vendor factories to make sure the components produced are to the Honda spec.

Sadly in Europe all the cars made in Swindon don't measure up with a like to like comparison to Japanese made Honda cars,where the qaulity of craftsmanship, engineering, fit finish and top most durability is beyond compare.

Slack Alice force is also another factor, not good to have mass scale hiring and firing every two years at Swindon helps with morale either. Take the test yourself guy get to the dealer and compare the Civic and the 4th Generation Jazz, then compare the HR-V to the Jazz and the Civic,

Pay close attention to body line gaps,rubber qaulity & fit and finish on the exterior of the car.

SpeedyGee likes this.
  18. Karmadrome Premium Member Club Supporter

I'm not saying middle/upper management are not making the same *puts corporate hat on* "Proffesional bad choices" (work place power games, having favourites, rewarding personal loyalty as apposed to loyalty to the company etc) the workforce are - infact bad management is usually where the rot sets in and it seeps down to the workforce.
    I think the 'problems' at Swindon are half trained people half training their replacements like @Ichiban said, but I think the hire/fire vs quality issue is a symptom of a deeper rooted issue in the UK as a whole.

But then I would, Im a grumpy, bitter, know it all sob with a walking stick shaped chip on my shoulder about being medically retired when I know dam well I'm still able... And a spoilt one at that.
    I've worked with the Dutch. I loved working with the Dutch... The Germans were.... Odd but did their work well too, (hmmm don't these places still have technical colleges?) even the French and Aussies (hmm those too....) got the idea of "workforce investment" and I'm on a Honda site so you know I'm going to say something along the lines of: "Desu Nippon salaryman amazeballs gomen gomen desu" about my very short time in Japan. Even 'MURICANS seemed to be able to grasp the notion that the carrot and stick system doesn't work if you give the carrot away and instead beat the donkey with the stick for not knowing what you want it to do.... Or how to do it.

We treat our workers/young workers as disposable, we don't invest in them, nor do we pay them an actual living wage... That goes for middle management too - leading to bitterness, resentment, hate, envy, the dark side.... What exactly do we expect?

I had the opportunity to compare the Acura version of the CR-V - the RDX and the Swindon CR-V against each other back in June, I ran into an American service family who were driving the UK in their Acura (I wanted to ask why but decided on British politeness). Their's had all the bells and whistles I wanted and even in its ridiculously ott bodywork it really outshone my own in build quality. :Frown: I didn't scrimp on the extras when ordering mine either :Frown:

Kicked his arse down the A303 though.