General Honda OEM Brakes

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by alloy36, Friday 8th Jun, 2012.

1. alloy36 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Do honda make their own brake components or are they manufactured by another supplier? if so do you know who?

Just read something on pistonheads about pagid being the OEM supplier for BMW and this got me thinking about honda.

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    The 7th Generation stock brakes the disc come from Japan . However the pads are made by ATE Germany. 8th Generation 2.4 and 2.2 Type-S are all Japanese affair . Can't trust the Germans ... Lol

3. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Primary c Northampton
    Pagid!!!!!!!!!!!!! God help them...

AccordCU2 and Ichiban like this.
  4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Just changed my first disc and pads on my 7th Generation accord all stock the pads and disc have lasted a mamoth 64872 miles. The pads still had 2mm of material left but they had started to crumble at the edges.

BTW the set up on my 7th Generation is ATR calipers , how long has your pads and calipers lasted ? I I will get some pictures up when I get home.

Anyone still think OEM pads are rubbish think again.

5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I've not had any issues with the ATR calipers on my 7th Generation. The pads came with the callipers and they are still going strong. I can only assume they are OEM pads as they are hard wearing, dusty and have lasted for ever LOL.

6. Denso23 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Denso23 London
    When younger I did some work experience with a very large Japanese engineering company. Their equipment and engineering quality was the best. In the uk they didn't sell much but in the Middle East and America where they have money they where big players. Uk lookis for cheap bargain but not long term reliability.

They reason Honda Japan cars are so good is also down to their supply chain. Their suppliers like showa(suspension), keihein (ECU, injectors), futaba, sankei (exhaust) just to name a few are the best in the business. Problem is when cars made in Europe they are built to lower cost and hence use cheaper parts.'I rather not use my hard saved up cash for that! Buy once buy well is my moto

exec likes this.
  7. Nels Moderator Staff Team

:likeit::whathesaid:

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I have been saying the same thing about Swindon for a decade it's the parts which makes the car quality not the assembly having worked for Honda and seen first hand how these components have been made I would concur with your findings.

9. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    I have original discs and pads on my 6th Generation, not sure who makes them on these but when I fitted them new they felt superbly made, the front discs are still old ones which came with the car and going by recipes they are at least around 9 years old and when I changed the pads few years back they were practically, made the mistake of not checking! My car is also parked up pretty much during the weekdays with handbrake on and so far caliper has been superb, no seizing, and it i since and tight, think the calipers are Lucas. I have read a fir amount at how Honda calipers seize a lot, but they seem to usually be Nissin from teh performance models.