General Honda patents engine with different cylinder displacements

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by legend-ary, Monday 9th May, 2016.

1. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    'Honda's patent describes cylinders with equal bore size, with the displacement from cylinder to cylinder varying based on the crank throw radius – the longer the throw, the longer the stroke and the larger the displacement of that particular combustion chamber.

The patent describes how the cylinder sizes would need to be arranged to spread the load on the crankshaft and presumably limit vibration that would be introduced by the different pulse magnitudes. If we're interpreting things correctly, the largest cylinder (the one with the longest crank throw radius) sits in the middle of the bank with the smaller ones alternating on either side as they decrease in displacement.

This concept is described for multi-cylinder inline and V-type engines of various sizes. The patent was filed in March of 2014 and published in January of this year.'

Honda patents engine with different cylinder displacements

Ichiban and BB Baboonface like this.
  2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Excellent ! Just the kind of pioneering engineering you expect from Honda ! :gohonda:

3. BB Baboonface Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom James Chesterfield
    Wow! That looks very interesting, If they can sort out the problems with crank stresses and vibration i'd love to see it make it into production.

4. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    But why?

5. BB Baboonface Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom James Chesterfield
    According to the blurb, greater efficiency.

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    May be there could be low down torque advantages and with VTEC make it more exciting.
    Zebs as for why well that Honda they will do the things others dare not. i am already liking this new CEO he doing what Honda did in the past.

BB Baboonface likes this.
  7. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Run like a 1.6L normally and then when you want power run like a 2.0 litre (for example) .. best of both worlds :hondababy::vtec:

exec likes this.
  8. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    I look forward to the next gen diesel engine...

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I doubt there will be any more diesels it will fuel cell or hydrogen and petrol hybrids from Honda. Diesel game is too toxic after dieselgate.

10. Bo_ Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Sounds interesting, but can't see Honda starting to assemble Accords and Civics with V6'es. I think this will go to NSX or Legend.
    But anyway - full steam ahead! :Niceone:

BB Baboonface likes this.
  11. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    So you don't believe that Honda engineers are up to the task of making a diesel with reduced emissions? I don't see why they shouldn't, it would breathe life into a fuel that still offers significantly better MPG. And that's what a lot of buyers want...

12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Well they could develop a cleaner diesel but the entire boot of the car will house a massive DPF :blush:

ryanmch67 likes this.
  13. Bo_ Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I think there could be one more generation of Diesel engine from Honda, but thereafter hybrids would replace them as cleaner and more effective alternative.

14. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    IIRC most of the new Honda V6s have some sort of cylinder deactivation built in, Accord, Odyssey, Pilot but the gains are not enough. Maybe this is taking that concept to a level where it actually makes a significant difference. Mind you this is from 2014 and was only released for public this year so who know how far in they are with the development or was it just a study...

15. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom nobody zoned
    All the ancillary equipment on the Honda diesels are Bosch, so by adding a tad of refinement to the piston crowns and valve timing, it seems to me that Honda only got into diesel engines in order to prevent market share of vehicle sales in the EU from decreasing. They certainly didn't do it for JDM.

As for this weird idea, I don't see how on earth this makes any difference, let's say you have 2 cylinders of 500cc and 2 cylinders of 400cc, well that's 1800cc altogether, how can it possibly have pumping losses of a 1600, and if not, why not stick with 4 x 450 cc.

I might patent a letter-opener made from dried gorilla-snot, that might have some environmentally beneficial uses.

16. Bo_ Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

As per quote posted above, it sound like this solution will be used only when there are uneven amount of cylinders in-line, e.g. 3 in-line, v6 or v10. Centre cylinder being biggest and creating more torque, it's logical for it being placed in centre of crank, but smaller ones on both sides to even out vibration as they will be closer to bearings

17. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Its hard to make sense of it. Whatever mode you consider, it's non-optimal. Better off with a variable/compound forced induction system.

18. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom nobody zoned
    took the words right out of my mouth

it's basically a weird idea on the notion of "cylinder deactivation" which has been tried by several manufacturers in the past including Honda, but never went anywhere.

The issue for cylinder deactivation is to try to keep the cylinder pressures optimal at light load (which is why large petrol engines are so inefficient), best option is by clever use of forced inductio.

Other alternative is the Saab SVC shelved by GM when they bought Saab
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saab_Variable_Compression_engine

19. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    So without seeing this patent going into service everyone now is an expert on this ? ummm