General Honda position on post Brexit

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ichiban, Friday 24th Jun, 2016.

1. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Loads of car manufacturers have said today its business as usual to them some have taken steps to mitigate any risks.

I wonder what will Honda say or use this opportunity to strike better deals directly from Japan?

2. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    We won't be able to afford imports!

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    How they have made a massive investment in Swindon lately and the Civic will be exported globally..

4. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Oh yes, exporting from the UK will have been boosted by the massive fall in the pound. Good news for Honda!

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Half the components will come from local vendors and European suppliers they can't just move the production overseas after that commitment. Honda old mantra globalisation through localisation

jimjams likes this.
  6. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    I wasn't disagreeing with you. Hopefully the local vendors supporting the Swindon plant will do well... a sustained fall in the pound will obviously make British-built cars much easier to export.

7. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom nobody zoned
    As you mentioned to me at Crystal Palace, there's a Honda factory in Mexico (as well as elsewhere), and Mexico isn't part of a trading bloc.

It depends on how many cars go to Europe from the various assembly plants in this county, if the answer is not many, then the plants continue to function. And even if the answer is quite a lot, if tariffs are introduced on cars made in this country, then tariffs will be introduced on German and French cars, so more Japanese cars sold in this very country.

exec, FirstHonda and Ichiban like this.
  8. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Honda, can we now have the Accord back please !!

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Personally I think Japan could quite easily lift the entire line up and export it here. Remember we don't need to get cars sold here to be homologated to EU spec any more, that provided we lose that as law after brexit. The cost of this homologation for each and every single model is very high for a non eu car producer..

exec, MickyB and jimjams like this.
  10. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom nobody zoned
    ^ ab-so-lutely

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  12. Heckler Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

There's no way in hell that car makers will produce different cars for different parts of Europe... aside from the LHD/RHD thing all cars will remain identical.

If you want to know the first EU law to be struck down... I'm putting my money on the European Charter of Human Rights and the Working Time Directive.

exec and MickyB like this.
  13. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

WTD has to go it's a pain in the rear especially for us drivers. We are forever becoming foul of that law even for a couple of minutes we are hauled in and it has to be documented. Why cause EU law says so.

14. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

The decline in sterling has looked more pronounced due to the rises over the past couple of weeks as the markets speculated on a 'remain' vote. IMHO it would have fallen whichever result came through as it was overvalued.

Yes, it has fallen but look at the past 12 months and it has been falling across the period. It will stabilise within 6 weeks to its natural level of about 1.40.

XE.com - GBP/USD Chart

Honda and other UK based car makers should be using this as an opportunity to export from the UK to non-EU members.