Autocar Honda readies Civic facelift for Paris motor show debut

Discussion in 'News Feeds' started by Autocar, Friday 20th Jun, 2014.

1. Autocar Auto-Generated News Feed

Updated Civic hatchback to get Type-R inspired styling, with the aim of lifting European sales

Honda’s European arm is readying a major facelift for the slow-selling Civic hatch just two and a half years after the car went on sale. Despite the extensive disguise on this prototype spotted in the UK, it’s clear that most of the restyling work has been applied to the Civic’s nose.

It is expected that the revamped Civic will get a similar front bumper design to that used on the upcoming Civic Type-R. The turbocharged hot hatch will be used to improve the image of the five-door family model, while a more sporting version of the standard Civic is also expected to be introduced as part of the revamp.

The Civic Type-R, which is currently under development by Honda’s engineers, will be powered by a new turbocharged 2.0-litre engine said to be good for over 270bhp. Honda wants to set the front-wheel drive lap record at the Nürburgring - recently smashed by Renault - so a late summer record attempt, in time for an unveiling of the revamped Civic hatch and production Type-R at the Paris show in October, is likely.

Honda’s European division has been struggling in the past few years, with both the new Civic hatch and the CR-V SUV failing to achieve sales success. According to figures released by Automotive Industry Data (AID), just 38,000 Civics were sold in Europe last year, some four times less than that managed by the Vauxhall/Opel Astra.

Get the latest car news, reviews and galleries from Autocar direct to your inbox every week. Enter your email address below:

Source: AutoCar
  2. Nels Moderator Staff Team

A much improved front end.
    Let's hope they have a strong marketing campaign to back up the investment !
    FirstHonda likes this.
  3. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

^^Agree. I know I'm in the minority, but I actually quite like the current generation of Civic and was impressed when I had one as a courtesy car.
  4. Nels Moderator Staff Team

The shape of the present one isn't the issue for me. It's the colour of the front.
    IMHO, that big dark section was really an :Epic Fail:. Only the black ones looked good.
    They just needed to colour code that piece to the rest of the car.
  5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    On the current Civic, I just can't stand the light cluster at the back !
    Chunkylover53 likes this.
  6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Didn't I say the FL will have a completely frign front end make over . It looks like a veedub in that disguise. Yup speedy the rear is worse than a baboons rear @rse
  7. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

^^Personally I think it depends on the colour. I quite like the dark front on some - white and silver or grey especially. You can already buy a Civic without it - see link below - think this is the option front bumper treatment.

Vehicle View - Honda 2012 Civic 1.8 i-VTEC SR 5-Door - Bushey Heath

I also saw that SEAT offer(ed) the same treatment for the "Bocanegra" version of the Ibiza, I guess before the current Civic was launched. It works better on the Civic though...:Smile:
  8. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Veedub indeed thanks to the German stylists who seem to be doing an excellent job of killing Honda in Europe with looks alone.

Please keep those idiots away from 9th Generation Accord!

Latest Civic looks like a failed prototype for last generation Civic.

Lack of colour coding of the majority of body plastics does nothing for it either.

Only way to boost the Civic now is early kill of 9th Generation, get Honda Japan on the case and let them get on with it alone. Putting the things together is the only thing within HUK/HEU's capabilities... just.