Optional Extras Honda Rear Entertainment DVD System: playing USB files

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by alanbboyd, Thursday 6th Jun, 2013.

1. alanbboyd Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi,

I have the Honda Rear Entertainment DVD System (part no: 08A230K6UNV, like , which for the most part works fine, but the supplied instructions were pretty sparse.

When playing video files from a memory stick in the USB slot there is always a display of the elapsed time of the video file in one part of the screen - does anyone know if this can be disabled/hidden, and how?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Saturday 22nd Feb, 2014
  2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Yes there will be but I don't have one of these 2nd Generation iVES to test with.

3. alanbboyd Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I'll just have to try many button combinations then :Sobbing:

Ta anyway

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I am doing some digging for you, if I find something I will let you know.

5. alanbboyd Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks, much appreciated - it may just be one of those "press and hold" functions like to turn off my Accord's clock/temperature central display. I think I've been though all the obvious menus in the unit and its remote, but there may be something I've missed.

cheers

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hi Alan,

I have not be able to find anything regarding the same, I suggest you approach Honda customer contact team via phone or email Contact Us | Honda (UK)

if you don't get joy approach your dealer which supplied your i-RES kit and get them to log a TESS aka Techline Support System with Honda.

Tell them your issue and they will engage with the vendor and get you an answer if you kindly let us know if you get a solution to this.

Cheers

7. alanbboyd Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for taking the time to dig about - I logged a query with Honda UK earlier today but so far no luck:

I'll raise a query next time I'm in and let you know if I'm successful.

cheers

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Well we have used the first method , try the dealers then take it from there.

9. micks_address Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

hi guys, rather than open a new thread I thought I'd ask here. What is the quality like on the screens? Can you play hd movies from usb on them? are they hard to install? cheers mick

10. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

It will probably be cheaper to buy an Ipad and use some velcro on the back seats than buy these from honda. They do look good though.

11. alanbboyd Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi,

Quality is ok - it's similar to some long haul aircraft back-of-the-seat screens in that respect.

The screen is for DVD format, so you cannot watch an HD movie natively from USB. Most importantly: it will only play AVI movies, and you have to ensure they're at the correct resolution, otherwise they won't play. Ripping from a DVD is fine, as the resolution should be native DVD (720x576 for the UK), but anything which is HD native format needs to be resized to fit.

DVD::Rip (Linux, free, dvd::rip - A full featured DVD Ripper GUI for Linux, written in Perl) gives you perfect AVI files you can use from a USB stick - all those £1.99 kids DVDs from the supermarket go straight onto a USB drive which only just sticks out the side of the unit.

I use Pazera MP4 to AVI converter (Windows, free, Pazera Free MP4 to AVI Converter - Convert MP4 files to MPEG or AVI - Jacek Pazera) for various other MP4 files I wanted to put on it - lets you convert to AVI and select the resolution / codec.

Having had it for a while now I do like it, but it has its drawbacks.

- the wireless headphones work fine watching it in the house, but on the move I found there was interference, so I've switched to wired headphones for junior (Kitsound Levellers - very good, and can't be turned up too loud)

- in my Accord, when you start the car it cuts power to the cigarette socket, switching off the DVD player. This is ok for DVDs, as when you switch it back on it starts from where you left off, but with anything on the USB stick you have to go through and start from the beginning again. Very annoying if it's a film.

Fitting is easy: remove headrest, put leather cover flappy thing onto the top of the seat, then slide headrest legs back in through the holes in the leather flappy thing; slot DVD screen into leather flappy thing; run power lead from 12V socket to screen. Done.

Junior (he's 2) sat in the back and watched various things all the way from Scotland to France and back again, and he loves his "little telly". Fortunately he at the age where he'll quite happily watch the same disc over and over again without complaint.

It's not perfect, or cheap, but it's a lot better than the <insert name of chainstore here> equivalents, a hell of a lot cheaper than the old list price (£1100 quid? No chance!), and the build quality is good.

If you've already got an iPad that may be the way to go - I'm just personally not a fan of the iPad.

Hope that helps, cheers