Official Honda Honda Releases Formula 1 Power Unit Video

Discussion in 'News Feeds' started by Honda World News, Tuesday 15th Sep, 2015.

1. Honda World News Auto-Generated News Feed

Honda has released behind-the-scenes video footage of the Honda RA615H Formula 1 Power Unit.

Source: Honda World News

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    People are laughing at Honda for now , but keep chipping at it chaps you will prevail.

You will have the last laugh.

3. Karmadrome Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Skip Woking
    There's an old poster/advert from a few years back that read "Our Racing Record stands at 65% Defeat"
    Which is a pretty bloody good record to hold realistically.

Consider Hondas TT History. The small team of riders and engineers turned up one year with by European standards terribly antiquidated bikes and sucked, no easy way of saying it, but.... They came back a few years later with similar oldish tech but whooped arse and stayed classy through development and revision. It's clear (in my mind anyway) learning, inteligent design, full development of concepts and thinking outside the box is in the DNA of the company from the start.

TLDR: I agree, they totally have got this in hand.

Besides, Honda can't improve unless they take some losses, the attitude of some of the press and even the teams stuns me, no team or manufacturer could come into the sport a year behind and expect to be competitive off the bat. It doesn't happen, especially with the cultural and linguistical challenges they face, not to mention the complexity of the engines and the foreign nature of high boost. Sky F1 really, REALLY need to study their history books more when it comes to the Honda way, and stop bitching at Honda, it's just tedious now.

Ichiban likes this.
  4. steve4536 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I bet Honda racing are fantastic to work for. Just looking at their state of the art facilities you can tell they take things seriously. I've worked in engineering workshops all my life but have never experienced (hospital theatre type conditions) like Honda's.
    Good old piles of swarf and the smell of gone off slurry is the best that I've had. :happycrying:

5. Karmadrome Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Skip Woking
    I'm useless at explaining this stuff but bare with me...

According to their own press (and a lot of study from Harvard and Tokyo U.) They (Honda.jp, HRC, HPD Etall) believe in a type of phronesis, a term from Aristotle's Nicomachean Ethics works. In essence it's doing the right thing for everyone, not just the company, and succeeding through that. It's pretty complex but it brakes down into 2 forms of knowledge. esoteric or metaphysical wisdom, and practical wisdom. Developing the Pratical Wisdom and allowing workers to think outside the box and utilise their metaphysical wisdom to develop ideas that might not at first relate to the companies profit margins is key to innovation and longevity. Rather then blindly following the 'proven format' and follow the leader norm which while you may profit now, will lead to you or your ideas not lasting very long in the grand scheme of things.

Aristotle also stated phronesis is also about taking time to truly understand and explore the knowledge you create, (rather then grasping at the first signs of something you can turn a profit from) is key to the continuation and generation of well standing ideas, concepts and societies. Profit comes later.

Honda.jp would call it Toku, the virtue that leads people to want to create a better tomorrow through their actions, and work - whatever work it may be- today. VTEC, IMA, PgMFi, fuel cell tech, it all comes from wanting to build a better tomorrow. You don't find that in many companies and the mistakes the UK/European end of Honda have (3 car line ups n all) made.... I would say is because they don't understand that basic philosophical concept and still think they are just "sell-in' motors".

Do good, do it ethically and do it for the right reason and the world can be yours.

TLDR: I'd love a job inside Honda racing R&D.... The freedom to explore your own slightly crazy notions... To develop 'biped metal gear' type systems.. Freedom to think and explore. There's the dream. And that's why their failure ATM doesn't bother me. McLaren have been a follow the company profit line team for far too long and are suffering for it, it's why McLaren need Honda right now, hell, it's why the ex Honda team, now Mercedes are doing so well. Honda need to change mclaren and their working culture for the better so that they can yet again win.

Hope that makes sense, medications playing merry hell with me atm.

Ichiban and steve4536 like this.
  6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    This is not the first time Honda have failed, failure is seen as positive steps to get on and get to the podium.

MickyB and steve4536 like this.
  7. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

They will come through. Just hope they keep the same team on board for next season. Two world champions with competitive cars = success

8. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Just remember,

99 to 1.

Karmadrome likes this.
  9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Fernando Alonso rant over the radio today at the Japan GP may be the last straw.

10. Nels Moderator Staff Team

He's not a happy bunny. I think they will throw him out of the pram.

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Eye brow man was always the wrong decision to be at McLaren, he has and always be a has been.