General Honda reliability

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ArcticFire-Account Closed, Saturday 17th Oct, 2015.

1. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
  2. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom nobody zoned
    I couldn't see a date on it, so difficult to know when it was written.

Also, sample-size (across 6 marques) = 32 cars (US)

It also seems to be based on problems with Honda-matic transmission in the US (further down, someone posted that Honda-matic was a known issue in the US)

So all-in-all, not really worth the electrons that convey the page across the internet

3. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    The issue I have with these kind of surveys as such is firstly, they are biased, but secondly, a reliablity of a car is hugely dependant on how it is looked after. How many people do you know who literally just put fuel into their cars and drive them for years before only fixing an issue because it fails an MOT or they get pulled by the police for something? I know quite a few people like that.

I have always had one main mantra with a car - "Look after your car and it will look after you". (This to me encompasses using decent tyres, regular servicing and brakes etc etc). My brother, when we were younger, used to hammer his cars constantly and they were always breaking down. Red line the poor things from stone cold and drive them like they were stolen so they always gave problems, even Japanese cars. He blew his gear box on his M3 (for which they quoted around 10k to fix which made me laugh). I know that I could get into my Accord and hammer her in an emergency and she would be fine because I don't drive her like that every day. Some marques are of course better engineered and less likely to give issues, but neglect any car, and it will eventually give you trouble.

nsxer and vincemince like this.
  4. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Definitely agree about looking after your car being very relative to its reliability, although I do think honda and the older Toyota and Mazda cars could take more punishment.

Nighthawk likes this.
  5. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

UK data (from Warranty Direct) says different. You can make data say almost anything in any case, depending on your sample size.

I think the direction of the article - and the intention of the writer - was set when he started by saying he had a transmission failure on his own car...

Nighthawk likes this.
  6. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I work in the Quality department of a large UK manufacturer and I can tell you that they actually set their target quality measures to match those of Honda.

Nuff said !

legend-ary, FirstHonda and Nighthawk like this.
  7. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

^^ Just don't use the quality measure they use for accurate alignment of the front doors on the 4th Generation CR-V...:Laughing:

8. Zoot Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Ron Leeds
    Funnily enough Ed I had to get the front near side door re-aligned when I bought my CR-V in March this year - 4th Generation. Didn't know until I read your post that this was an overall issue!

FirstHonda likes this.
  9. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    The most reliable car I ever had was a Mazda 323F with the pop up headlights! Not a single thing went wrong but I did hate that giant gear stick lol My very first car was a Toyota Starlet and I ran a whole year with a dry radiator and no coolant!

But then cars were also less complicated back then. R the 7th Generation Accord was the most reliable modern car I've ever had though.

FirstHonda likes this.
  10. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

It isn't the biggest issue in the world, and is easily fixed, but having looked at a few 4th Generation CR-Vs the alignment - not the way they open and close, rather the detail of where the chrome strips align, especially at the top - is pretty variable out of the factory.

11. Zoot Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Ron Leeds
    Exactly the problem I had! As you say no real big deal but annoying at the time and as you say - easily fixed.

12. Big H Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Mike Poole
    I had the same issue when I picked mine up, only it was the driver's door.
    I've since noticed how badly the tailgate hinge alignment is between left and right when you look at the continuation of the roof line.
    Are these cars put together by old British Leyland workers by any chance?
    Very disappointing really on what's supposedly a premium vehicle.
    At least there's no orange-peel effect in the paintwork...
    :Frown:

13. Nighthawk Guest

Funny you should mention the mazda. My girlfriend throughout entire high school, her mum had a 323 which was a late 80s model. She had it all the way till she; as in the mother, died a few years ago. Car outlasted her and gave 30odd years service. The warmer climate however of africa is nicer to cars though in comparison to uk.

All jap cars of that era and 90s were over engineered IMO which was what made them so great

14. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    How does the dust effect things over there? Is it just a case of more frequent filter changes or does it work its way in deeper?

15. Nighthawk Guest

No dust anymore than here mate. The cities are like here just with more room and spread out. Central and northern africa is barren but southern africa isnt. Its all built up

16. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Cool, never been but it's on the to do list.

Nighthawk likes this.
  17. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

^^I agree with you @Big H , although the tailgate alignment on mine is fine.

Without wanting to hijack this thread, I think it is fair to say that Swindon built Hondas don't seem to have the same meticulous assembly standards as those built in Japan - although that is a pretty sweeping generalisation. I'd also say that compared to most other marques I've looked at and owned, a Swindon built Honda is still at least on a par and usually better - witness the What Car? reliability stats where the (Swindon built) Jazz and CR-V are always at the top of their class.

I do though find it frustrating that something so (seemingly) easily fixed continues to happen. From a quality perception perspective, it isn't great at all.

I'd also note that when I noticed the door alignment on my first CR-V, I started to look at other cars. Where they have chrome highlights around the doors, the issue is pretty much the same across the piece. Seemingly the 'best' marque for this - and this is entirely anecdotal - was Lexus. BMW, Audi, Jaguar, Ford...I saw examples of all with the same sort of alignment 'issue.' I see a new VW Gold GTi parked pretty much every day, and it is exactly the same, for instance.

18. jd1959 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Zack Kilkenny
    Out of the 5 Honda's I've owned 3 JDM, 1 USDM, and 1 UKDM, none have given any real problems, rear swing arm bushes on the 1st Generation CR-V 140k miles, a clutch and calipers on a 2nd Generation Accord 180k miles. The 1st Generation Mobilio ac relay and transmission mount. 3rd Generation Stepwgn not a problem. A 5th Generation Civic I picked up for peanuts had several issues but none that prevented it from driving and that was at a little over 250k miles of Irish roads the suspension finally gave up after severe abuse given by me in the form of several tons of beach tree rounds found for firewood, still started and drove though. In three continents of driving and quite a few different cars I can't think of any other make that has been as reliable for me.

legend-ary likes this.
  19. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I've had 8 Hondas, done more than half million miles across them and aside from brake calipers I've not had to fix anything else !!

legend-ary likes this.
  20. nsxer Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Reliability goes hand in hand with owner attitude and mechanical sympathy.

I was brought up to look after the things I own and all my vehicles are serviced regularly. It's important to find a good mechanic as you cannot rely on dealer servicing in this day and age.