In-Depth Honda Satellite Navigation: TMC Troubleshooting

Discussion in 'Technical Articles' started by Ichiban, Friday 30th Dec, 2011.

1. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    This is a commonly asked question and bit of a irritant to a lot of Honda owner when the live traffic updates don't work. TMC has a mind of its own to when it works and when it does not. To understand and do our own basic checks before determine the root cause.

The two visible indicators on the sat nav screen are TMC icon in green and TMC icon in red , the display colours are self explanatory.
    TMC Icon Status AOCUK.PNG
    To Check if the system is working Correctly

Enter the Navigation diagnostic menu by switching on the ignition and holding down the “Map”, “Menu” and “Cancel” buttons for approximately 3-5 seconds, now select “Unit check”.
    hvhkhslkhvshvhsvlkjlkvsivsiipw.
    Now select “TMC Status” from the next menu
    cfhvvhlksvjvlkshvlkshvokshvlkslkvjosvoisvjsvlsvpsov.
    Then look at the “Field Strength” reading, this should be between 7 and 15. If it is lower than this then compare readings against another vehicle’s readings to make sure that you are not just in a weak signal strength area.

(Note: you need to compare like for like vehicles i.e. if you are working on a Accord then compare against another Accord ). The information for this system is received from “Local” radio stations via the FM antenna so any radio reception issues will affect the TMC system as well.

If member having this issue start a thread in the respective 7th and 8th Generation sections with their screen shoots and someone will upload theirs to make a comparison to help you out.
    TMC  AOCUK.
    If the “Field Strength” reading is correct then look at the “Uncorrected Blocks” and the “TMC Group Counter” readings, this may be called the “Message Counter”, and these 2 readings should be constantly rising in number, as these are the number of actual TMC messages that are being sent in the radio signal and are being interpreted by the unit. If the “Uncorrected blocks” or “TMC Group Counter” readings are not rising at all or are very low compared to another car then substitute a known good Navigation drive unit, this is the unit that the sat nav disc is inserted into.
    For detailed TMC Coverage have a look at Trafficmasters UK coverage , Traffic master is one the two well known providers to provide traffic related information via the RDS system.

Another excellent article regarding the same can be found here at Lord Percy

excel monkey and Racy Jace like this.
  2. Kieren Shepherd Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Kieren
    Thought i'd give this a try. Checked it all, however the TMC shows decent values yet i've never actually seen it work..
    It always shows the red icon even though the values are all okay. Any Ideas?

Secondly, I used the self Diagnostic function which shows the 'Mic' as being red. I checked previous faults in the menu and there have been multiple occurrences of this fault. To be honest, it's never been very accurate at all.

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    You will need to get in touch with traffic master to see if a mast is down in the area.

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Thread bump, if anyone needs to contact Traffic master please drop me an email I will furnish you with the details and you can get to the bottom of your TMC issues.

5. John Hamer Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom John Waltham Abbey
    I have not read the "book" on this yet, but have noted "recalculation" going on, and several times been presented with alternative routes without requesting them, do I just follow sheepishly and if I do will it reALLY TAKE ME AWAY FROM TROUBLE. More reading to be done. Like the first american space was told do not forget to feed the monkey!!

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Two thread similar response ? you trying to say something?

7. John Hamer Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

What happened to driver decisions??

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Flip side the convenience or head ups information is better than no information , this can alter driver decisions which is a good thing surely.

9. John Hamer Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yes I agree up to a point, but even the book says do not spend too much time gazing at the sat nav, and strongly recommend no use in heavy traffic I DO NOT KNOW MANY light traffic routes

10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    You don't need to gaze at system you have audible alerts in English repeated until you acknowledged by voice command or touch which takes seconds so you hardly have any time off.

11. John Hamer Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

You go your way I'll go mine. Same goes for mobile HFT, as far as I am concerned.:Whistle:

12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Yup technology works depends how you perceive and are willing to use it.