General Honda Stepwagon

Discussion in 'Imports & Worldwide' started by ABB, Thursday 21st Jul, 2016.

1. ABB New Member Getting Started

United Kingdom Amanda Bournemouth
    Hi
    I have recently joined in the hope that this forum wiĺl have info and discussions on Honda Stepwagon but can't seem to find any. Are their any owners on here ?

2. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    Hello @ABB and welcome to HK!
    Here is a StepWagon for you: 2005 StepWGN

@jd1959 owns it and might be able to answer your questions.

Ichiban likes this.
  3. jd1959 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Zack Kilkenny
    Howdy I have a RG1 Stepwgn, anything I can help with?

4. ABB New Member Getting Started

Thank you much appreciated :Smile:
    - - - Updated - - -
    My Stepwagon has its MOT next week (first one since I've owned it) im wondering how easy it is to source parts in the UK? Hoping so much i won't need any of course :Smile:

5. jd1959 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Zack Kilkenny

It really depends on what parts you need, some easily gotten some, not so and a few definitely a mission to get. It does share many components with other Honda models primarily the CR-V, Odyssey, and Accord, with only a few bespoke parts.

I would look up OEM part numbers on JAPANESE GENUINE OEM PARTS CATALOG|JP-CarParts.com and search from there sometimes searching for the OEM number will give many results. For things like struts and springs or things that are more difficult to find https://www.amayama.com/en has had good results so I've been told (I haven't used them yet). Most folks here would only recommend OEM parts but sometimes cost and availability are an issue and I've found Automotive Aftermarket Parts Supplier | Febest Europe Distribution lists the StepWGN and does a good variety of bushes, bearings, brake components and suspension bits.

Let me know what if anything you need and I'll try and help. There is a StepWGN UK facebook page as well which can be helpful for finding people breaking them or gaining other information.

Which generation do you have? Most owners identify them with the first three characters on the VIN number EG. RG1-4, RF1-9, RK1-5 etc. Please pop it into the garage here with a few photos mine is pretty lonely being the only one listed here. :Grin:

Ichiban and legend-ary like this.
  6. ABB New Member Getting Started

Hi
    Thanks for all the great tips. Im unsure which type i have but its a 97 plate so an old one, im guessing an RF1 .... i will add some pics soon i need to take some. Yours look great, im definitely considering upgrading to a newer model at some point. First time I've ever owned one and i really like it

7. jd1959 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Zack Kilkenny
    In '97 it would be a RF1/2 just to give a bit of info. RF1 is FWD, RF2 is 4WD both have b20b engine, transmission and rear end (if RF2), same as the first generation CR-V, 4 wheel independent suspension. There are a few being broken in the UK and in Japan so used parts should be available as well as many new.

Only real complaint I've heard is that they are pretty thirsty, having had a 1st Generation CR-V I'd agree. The second and third generations changed engines to a k20/k24 and transmission options 4/5 speed and CVT. 4th Generation was a r20 with a 5 speed or CVT, the newest generation was the first car to use the new 1.5L direct injection turbo engine on a CVT. All them have a 4x4 option and a higher spec called Spada, the newer ones get some pretty cool options.

All the improvements helped economy, but it is a big petrol van with the aerodynamics of a brick so it really is on par or slightly better than the other petrol mpv. Some people have complained that the newer shape from 3rd generation on has lost the functionality of the earlier ones which is true to an extent. The first ones do make really good day vans or even small campers. This vs a functional mpv for large family, children's boosters and enough boot to put something more than a takeaway in (my big issue with espace, galaxy, carens and so on.)

Anyway I hope the MOT goes well.