Suspension, Steering and Brakes Honda suggest renewing front brake discs?

Discussion in '1st Generation (2004-2011)' started by colinbos, Wednesday 14th Aug, 2013.

1. colinbos Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

During the recall for the Brake Servo on the FR-V the dealer did a full inspection of the car.

They hit me with two new tyres (which is fine as you need legal tyres) and a clutch fluid replacement as it was contaminated (again fine as you have to keep these things fresh) but they suggest as my front brake discs are below 23mm (22.1mm was the reading) they needed replacing. They report the pads themselves have only 10% wear on them. Im having no issues with braking, juddering etc etc, so is this just overkill on the dealers part ? :Blink:
  2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Take it as advise only and don't be pressured into it.

Can you post some pictures of the discs ?
  3. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    I'd take it as advise. The minimum thickness is generally an indication to change the discs when you do the next pad change. If you change the discs now you'll also need new pads which means binning a practically new set of pads.

The only time I'd change them right now is if you had issues braking or juddering.
  4. jaytip Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

As above, most dealerships err on the side of caution.
  5. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Change them when you next need pads, thats what I would do mate.
  6. colinbos Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

All the advice suggests what I was thinking, thanks alot. Ill wait until the pads wear of I get other symptoms that indicate the discs need changing.

I will take a picture of the discs for completeness and the forum so others can see and compare.
  7. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I'll compare them to mine which are totally knackered and judder like mad, just cost me £160 for ADL Blueprint discs and pads all round (CTDI Tourer) one of my many jobs for my week off :Frown: as it's coming up to MOT time soon.
  8. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Primary c Northampton
    Yes take it as advice only my dealer told me my front pads were approaching 50% worn. I did point out that they were genuine Honda and only been on the car 3 weeks at the time I fitted new discs at the same time. Bless should have gone to spec savers :Smile:
  9. frv Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I thought the spec was: Vented - Diameter: 283mm, Thickness: 23.0mm, Minimum Thickness: 21.0mm which would mean you are still within spec - usually you allow at least 1mm of wear, not 10%. All the ones I've looked at online allow 2mm on the FR-V. I recently used an angle grinder to take off the outer edge of my front discs - look better and easier to measure too.
  10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    The official brake disc service limit for the FR-V are

Item Measurement Qualification Standard or New Service Limit
    Brake discThicknessFront22.9−23.1 mm (0.90−0.91 in.)21.0 mm (0.83 in.)
    Rear11.9−12.1 mm (0.469−0.476 in.)10 mm (0.39 in.)
    Runout———0.10 mm (0.004 in.)
    Parallelism———0.015 mm (0.0006 in.)